Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: no free climb?

1. Default no free climb?

Featured Sponsor

my company is looking into a no free climb or fall arrest system policy. The Majority of linemen are against it. what are some of your policies? we would like to make it voluntary or be grand fathered as a qualified free climber at least until osha steps in. I here Cal ED grand fathered. are there any others?

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Heard a rumor or two bout it here in Kentucky but just rumors for now everyones against them. The time to climb in a fall arrest device versus free climbing is not worth it when it comes to a pole top rescue.

By saying "Cal ED", do you mean southern cal edison?

If these management morons want to make a meaningful safety policy, why don't they ban the use of company issued cell phones in company vehicles? Statistics prove that the use of cell phones in motor vehicles greatly increases the chances of being involved in a collision. How about a ban on neckties for the management? I'd hate to see one of them getting tangled up in a paper shredder. There's lots of things they can come up with to make the workplace safer without making our jobs more difficult and more dangerous.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmorehouse24 View Post
    By saying "Cal ED", do you mean southern cal edison?
    Lets just say a utility in California. Thank you

we haven't been able to free climb for 20 years we use something called a polechoker i have used it since i started, they are ok. but i am pretty sure if i had to do pole top rescue i would be free climbing!

Default get ready

it will be mandontory every where in a year or two. It is a pain in the ass.

Koga

Pain in the ass is correct. My company says I have to wear one, but yet when it comes to actual pole top rescue to freeclimb.

The big issue I have with it is they are easy to work on a new bare pole, but when you get an older pole that has a bunch of splinter sticking out and telephone drops running down the pole with staples that stick out... wanted to climb above a rack/platform the other day and it's just not worth the effort to go up there and give the guy working the bucket a hand.

Went up to help change out a transformer, I find the #6 ground gets nice and caught up between the fall restraint and the pole.

Still new to me, I think it just restricts more of what I used to be able to do off the pole.... I still try to climb every chance I can just to try to get used to it.

Also a pain in the *ss when installing U-guard or climbing poles with conduit on standoff brackets. I can only imagine how difficult it would be climbing a pole with steps!
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Talking all the wanna bs

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by AEE/linehand View Post
    my company is looking into a no free climb or fall arrest system policy. The Majority of linemen are against it. what are some of your policies? we would like to make it voluntary or be grand fathered as a qualified free climber at least until osha steps in. I here Cal ED grand fathered. are there any others?
    Look, as long as there is wood there will be a need to climb it,and when it is steel you still have to climb it.!!!!!!!! I'll decide how I get to work!!!!!!! how about any other hand out there that has had to CLIMB for a livin.It is part of the JOB and guess what, if you cant hang you cant stay.You people who do not do the job or even know and love the job should shut the f%^%$& up.you pepole that are in it for the money and not the work... go to Hell .Im so sick of the pissin and moaning SHUT THE F&*&*(* UP and go to work. sorry guys but it is all insurence bull shit and false safety, it pisses me off.Train the trade, teach the apprentices. APPREntices remmeber you have been indentured into an apprenticeship ,IF you are union ,if not ,do the best you can and learn the trade, this is one of the best trades in the world. I love line work where else can you have all this fun and get paid too. This is nothing on the post that is being quoted its just this subject chaps my hide .ALOHA cbottles. You cannot idiot proof Linework!!