1. Default another interview

Featured Sponsor

Hey all- I have another interview next week with mslcat and before I spend anymore money or time off work should I bother go? I heard they are really slow and the wait list is long. I have 2 jobs and it ain't that easy for me to keep getting time off to travel around to interviews not to mention the money I am spending to go. Does anyone work for them that can give me advice? Thanks

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

MSLCAT is slow. I was laid off back in Jan and am still on the books. Last I heard there is around 65 apes on the books. There is a good deal of transmission work though and most of the apes in MSLCAT are hot apprentices right now. All the third year book guys just finished their finals last month and those with hours and steps can test to top out this month. Hopefully a decent number of apes top out.

After my group there is one more large group (130 or so apes in second year) then about 50 that just finished first year books. They are talking about not even having a first year class this coming fall.

Everywhere is slow right now so if you want to get into the trade you better take all the pathes possible to get in. There is a good deal of cold work (transmission) in mountain states and more coming. Sooner or later MSLCAT will have to start hiring more apes.

3. Default

I called the union yesterday and she told me there are 40 guys laid off and 300 on the waiting list. Which means I need to have a great interview. As far as taking all paths possible to get in.. I don't have the luxury of quitting my current job to move and go into debt to go to a lineman school with no pay for 4 months. Especially since I could graduate and still not get a job. Only thing I can do is get my cdl. Am considering joining the air force to get training cause I don't have a lot of other options right now.

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Yea, I understand the not going to line school. It has helped a lot of people but I know a ton of guys (myself included) that never went to line school. I would get your CDL if at all possible.

The other thing to think about is that if do not interview you might be closing the door on Mountain States. They might not want to take you if you skip this interview.

5. Default

I decided to take the interview. They gave me a different date for next month. I told her that a weeks notice just wasn't enough time for me to get off work coming from so-cal. Your right I don't want to close the door on mslcat. My brother-in-law worked for cal-nev and now NEAT and he's telling me just to wait it out cause it's so worth it if you can get in. Thanks for the advice man. What year did you get hired on?

Oct 16th, 2006 was my first day in MSLCAT.

That is great that you were able to reschedule. The new director seems to be very good at working with apprentices in their different situations and helping us out. If you have any other questions fire away or send me a PM. Good luck with the interview next month.

7. Default

Indeed, MSLCAT is very slow! But, it can surely pass you if you go with a fully preparation. You can follow this guide to get hired!
    The best way to prepare for an interview is to learn as much as you can about the company, the position, and the person who will be interviewing you. Reviewing common interview questions and preparing your answers ahead of time will help you feel more confident and relaxed during the actual interview. You will also learn things like that in any Interview Training Course! Additionally, practicing your interviewing skills with a friend or family member can help you to hone your technique and reduce any nervousness you may feel.

8. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Hey,
    Before committing to another interview with MSLcat, it is important to make sure it’s worth your time and money. I've heard their hiring process can be slow and the waitlist long. So if you have two jobs that require time off work, it's not easy for you to spare the extra hours to keep traveling for interviews.
    If anyone in the community has any advice about working with them or what their hiring process is like, please share! Thanks for your time and hopefully you'll find a great opportunity soon!