Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default WHo has actually went to lineman school? (NLC)

Featured Sponsor

I am wondering who has actually went to lineman school and graduated. Preferably Northwest lineman college. What were your job oppurtunities afterwards and how soon did you get hired? Im finding out 3 years into college that it's just not for me. I went for sports and injuries are making that not worth it anymore. So im gonna do what I always wanted to do, lineman school.

Default Nlc

i am currently attending NLC through distance learning because I am stationed in japan. If your curious about the material its great. i would have loved to check this school out in person. I am about to graduate after one more test so ill keep you posted on how things work out for me as far the distance education side is concerned. I would lke to here from somebody that has actually graduated from their also if anybody has.

3. Default Nlc

Some utilites are requiring a line school to even get your foot in the door. I graduated last june and went immediately to work, if your willing to relocate you will get a job.

Can I just mention... NLC are training their students in the use of Defibrillators. That's very good news.

Now what about the rest of the industry?
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default defibrillaters

as far as mountain states jatc when i had my orientation, we had to be taught and certified in usng them.
    Hemingray Insulators
    work smart, go home every night

Quote Originally Posted by johnciv6 View Post
    I am wondering who has actually went to lineman school and graduated. Preferably Northwest lineman college. What were your job oppurtunities afterwards and how soon did you get hired? Im finding out 3 years into college that it's just not for me. I went for sports and injuries are making that not worth it anymore. So im gonna do what I always wanted to do, lineman school.
    I went to nlc in oroville and graduated. If you are motivated, willing to relocate and want it bad enough you will leave school with a job. At least when i went there it was like that. The economy has changed a bit since a year ago.

If you're trying to get in anywhere on the west coast you'll probably need the schooling or some trade experience to get in somewhere. It's highly competitive out here. If you can get in somewhere w/o the schooling thats even better. It's a great school but you will learn all the same shit and much more on the job without paying $10,000. Best thing you can do is get in as a groundman somewhere and work your way up.

Get your class a cdl and first aid/cpr and sign your local union groundman books. Get some experience and then apply to the jatc in your region.

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    Can I just mention... NLC are training their students in the use of Defibrillators. That's very good news.

Now what about the rest of the industry?
    The last several first aid/cpr classes I attended covered AED's. Seems to be getting pretty standard now. Of course, the one instructor wasn't too happy when we told her about shaving the dog so the pads would stick....apparently they aren't designed to interpret a canine's heart rythm.....
    Living my life and loving it!!!

8. Default

Im glad to here all the feedback. im willing to work anywhere as an apprentice afterwards because I know once im a journeyman id have greater options on where I want to live, so that part is fine. Im thinking the NLC is where im going because to get my cdl in washington I would need a lot of hours of driving and trainging before I can even take the test and that costs like 5-6k at a close by community college which has a waiting line for that class anyways. I plan on applying here soon, today Im getting my dot physical and stuff and waiting on my transcripts then im gonna send it in for may next year.

Posting anymore experiences would be great.

Default website

Check a website called www.indeed.com they have several lineman and apprentice jobs from helpers thru step 4 apprentices. There are several pages so browse thru it. I know some are in Texas. Good Luck. Right now I'm applying to be an instructor in Tx. New Braufels area for St. Phillips in San Antonio.

Featured Sponsorr

From what I know NLC is a good program. I went to NICC and left knowing alot more than when I started, and it helped me get a foot in the door of linework. I also learned to watch, listen, ask questions and do what I was told. No matter where you work, every system is different and every old school lineman has something to teach you if they respect you. It is the knowledge that they teach you that twenty to thirty years from now you may be passing on to an apprentice. Good Luck.
    Climb High - Dive Deep - Everyone Goes Home!