Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default supporting center phase

Featured Sponsor

I have a question in regard to work methods when supporting a center phase during a transfer to a higher pole. We usually cover up and raise the phase above where the new arm is going and support it with a screwdriver in the pole. I was questioned about it by a supervisor, saying we lost our second layer of protection. i understood his position, but told him that is how we have been doing it for years without any problems or second thoughts. Does any one have another method they can share? Thanks
    "Who Me ?"

2. Default

You mean the screw driver is supporting it on the side of the pole? As long as you have a hose and rope on it, I don't see a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by markwho View Post
    I have a question in regard to work methods when supporting a center phase during a transfer to a higher pole. We usually cover up and raise the phase above where the new arm is going and support it with a screwdriver in the pole. I was questioned about it by a supervisor, saying we lost our second layer of protection. i understood his position, but told him that is how we have been doing it for years without any problems or second thoughts. Does any one have another method they can share? Thanks
    Have done the way you described, also put it on top of new pole with gut slid over phase and screwdriver drove in top of pole on both side of phase. Had to move some 795 aaac I had the transformer shop cut off an old layout arm(round fiberglass arm) about 12 inches long and epoxy the end back on it, chain bind it to new pole above where new arm is going and it works good for holding the bigger conductor, it stays in the back bin of the bucket and once some of the other crews saw it they like to borrow it now and again.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by markwho View Post
    Why not rubber and float all your conductors?

did the supervisor tell you how he would do it?

thanks for the replies guys.

Lineman North Florida: I think we have a short support arm like you made with a strap binder, But it is locked away in our tool room and hardly gets used.

Phoenix-7: we are talking about raising the center phase for an arm installation.

Scammy: The only thing he mentioned was to put up the new arm and pull the center phase out and around the end of the arm. I don't really like doing that if I can avoid it, besides it is not always practical if you are doing a transfer and keeping the arm at the same elevation on the new pole. also I didn't pose the question to him.
    "Who Me ?"

7. Default 3 ways

i can think of three ways u can do this different

1. use a pole top pin, move your center phase put it on the pole top pin tie it and and your all done moving that one then frame your arms.

2. have the other guy you are working with hold the phase in his whip line while the other person hangs the arm and then lower it down and tie it in

3. hang the arm leave it lose and un lagged then bring the pahse up and then swing the arm to level off and pin the arm then tie in your phase. granted this may not work all the time becasue of clearence i dont like doing it like that but done it before.

this seems like a real easy fix. we never put phases on the pole with rubber and a screwdriver i have seen it done before but if you have a pole top pin use that or have the other guy hold it in his jib while the other guy frames the arm. i hope your not doing these 3 phase tranfers by your self.

let me know if these ways will work for you

Lineman beat me to it so I'll just say ditto. Lose the screwdriver!

Lineman1010, in the situations I am referring to, we can not get the phase to the top of the pole. sometimes we are working on middle or lower decks, although most of the time in those instances we use a sling to support the phase after we have the top arm on. I have left the arm loose and leveled it off and then pinned it before, but in this case we were lifting it too high. I guess the alternative is to hold it with the winch line or roller head on the jib while your pole buddy frames the arm. In my earlier years we only had one double bucket working the job. It is only recently that we have gone to single buckets allowing for us to work independently.
    "Who Me ?"

Featured Sponsorr

Bleve the easiest way If yer not gonna raise it to high is to hang the new arm at a serious tilt with the braces unnailed, Lay the center phase on the new arm at approx the middle position and let the grunts pull the arm level with the handline.Then ya nail er down and tie in the center phase. I would caution ya that if the poles on either side are vertically constructed you can pull that phase into another if the bracket it is mounted on moves with the phase as its raised. Makes for some serious fireworks and an unforgettable racket.