Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lineman Injury / Fatality Statistics

Featured Sponsor

Does anyone have a site which has this information?

I'm curious to see how the majority of Lineman are injured or killed basically for my own safety if / when I start in the field.

I assume OSHA has some stats? I've looked but I can't really find any cut and dry stats.

Dunno of any websites But Iwould be willing to bet that most injuries are caused By lack of attention. Its been my experience that on the really Hairy jobs that everyone has their head in the game but on the routine run of the mill stuff someone loses their focus.

It's a very dangerous occupation. I would stay away from it by all means.

They're dying like flies. But it's just like war. The guy that gets killed ain't gonna be you. Keep believing that. Yes, yes, yes.

Heights and electricity!!!
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Florida in the winter Canada in the summer.

Look up Bureau of labor Statistics in the government, and search electrical accidents.

Good hunting

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Dunno of any websites But Iwould be willing to bet that most injuries are caused By lack of attention. Its been my experience that on the really Hairy jobs that everyone has their head in the game but on the routine run of the mill stuff someone loses their focus.
    Your right routine jobs have a complacency factor.
    Also linemen who work the higher volatages seem to think the lower voltages are `duck soup`. Thats a mistake, 4 kv. is the biggest killer of all.
    Ratty construction, poor standards, tight spacing, congestion, rear lot and overgrowth all contribute.
    Another factor is youg bucks being forced to do things they are not trained for but are too shy to admit they are unsure. Sometimes the old linemen beride them when they ask questions.
    The only stupid question is the one that isn`t asked.
    The Old Lineman

Default Confucious Say.......

Quote Originally Posted by old lineman View Post
    Your right routine jobs have a complacency factor.
    Also linemen who work the higher volatages seem to think the lower voltages are `duck soup`. Thats a mistake, 4 kv. is the biggest killer of all.
    Ratty construction, poor standards, tight spacing, congestion, rear lot and overgrowth all contribute.
    Another factor is youg bucks being forced to do things they are not trained for but are too shy to admit they are unsure. Sometimes the old linemen beride them when they ask questions.
    The only stupid question is the one that isn`t asked.
    The Old Lineman
    "Man with hole in pocket, feel cocky all day"

Now for your moment of Zen..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXwo-rRxdw

Quote Originally Posted by US & CA Tramp View Post
    Look up Bureau of labor Statistics in the government, and search electrical accidents.

Good hunting
    Yeah, I've been there. I was just curious and looking for a simple list.

It seems like the majority of accidents are just due to carelessness. Not being strapped into the bucket, no gloves, not checking to see if a line is live, etc...

I recently attended a "unit conference" for local 77 as a unit chair. I talked with a long time safety investagator and he said that 99.9% of all accidents are a direct result of breaking safety rules. What is wrong with using PPE and all the things that the company tells you to do as far as doing things by the book? Are you too proud? Are you too young and think you know it all? I just read a post about a 22 year old man that lost both arms. Why does that have to happen? Why does a guy have a "phase in the bucket" pick up load with another one? Can you say grounds? I guess that would have been worse, i can relate to that. BUT, have the newer kids been afraid to ask when they don't know something? I've been on the crews since 1981 and been a UNION trained journeyman since 1990 and i STILL ask when i don't know something, AND the first one to tell when I don't know for sure what we're dealing with, like regulators or auto boosters or whatever you don't do everyday! Come on people! Wake up or DIE!!! It seems that simple to me, but then i'm an idiot who wants to stay ALIVE and go home with all my fingers and toes EVERY F**KING DAY OF THE WEEK!!! I'm sorry, but i just had to vent.....and i'll do it again!!!

Default First Energy deaths

Featured Sponsorr

Yet another reason not to work at First Energy.

2008 First Energy had two deaths. 1 very experience lineman, 1 foreman both working storm about 6 months apart.

Two employees either going home or coming back on storm work died in motor vehicle accidents. 1 Met Ed 1 JCPL

2 JCP&L shore area manhole explosion salt corrosion.

1 JCP&L contact on primary riser pole.

1 JCP&L fell into pad transformer electrocution.

1 JCP&L into open wire secondaries.

2 got lucky, elbow broke on bucket dumped lineman out of safety belts during a conversion at the shore. 1 hit diamond plate step with his head on the way down and other hit his face on the telco lines both damaged for life.

These are the ones I can think of just off the top of my head.