Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Construction Lineworkers Unite!

Featured Sponsor

With the amount of linework currently in the planning stages, now is the time for all construction linehands to UNITE as one. I'm tired of the wireman giving our work away to the trades, of the BA ticket carrying MAINTENTANCE lineman at the power companies whining about contractors doing THEIR work and constantly bitching. How do we go about achieving a dream that is over a century old?
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

Default I.b.e.w Only

I heard you man i was working in a sub a couple of months ago doing transmission ug and electrctions were doing alot of the work setting steel and doing some bus work it bullshit and i bitched about it to the ba and he said they were cutting the hall a check for it that does not help me now because i'm layed off right now it is getting worse everywhere....do you now where any work is right now?????
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Not all of us utility guys are pissed about you doing work in our localities. I would love to see some more union construction linemen in Me. Remember we are all linemen.

Question outside hands

not all power company guys are bad my little brother works for a power company but alot of power company guys don't like outside lineman yes we are all lineman but there will always be that just like we will always have that with RATS. but RATS are in maine there everywhere.So are there any other outside hands on here?????

Default Non-Union but still Linemen

Quote Originally Posted by mainline View Post
    Not all of us utility guys are pissed about you doing work in our localities. I would love to see some more union construction linemen in Me. Remember we are all linemen.
    Very Disappointed- we told you we wouldn't cross even though the call came in to mobilize- you took a strike vote and did not strike, thats a show of weakness- now your going to take what they want to give, sorry to say.

Default Unite! Union and Non Union

The work scene across the country is as slow as it's been in 25 years. Plenty of work to do, but the IOU's are waiting on the governments $ instead of spending their own (f#*^ing bean counters). It's my understanding that there is over 1000 miles of transmission line in the stimulas package, so when the work starts it should be good for quite awhile. We may never again see such a golden opportunity to become ONE .This is our chance to achieve want Henry Miller dreamed about, all lineworkers united together as one group controlling the work from the Atlantic to the Pacific, answering to no one but ourselves. I did not refer to the utility hands as bad, there are alot of excellent hands working for the IOU's and I know the biggest problem is management, just tired of the bitching about contractors. Don't even get me started on the narrowbacks and their building trades buddies.

Default union strong

That would be nice to see every lineman union but i don't think that will ever happen,but if work brakes like they say it is going to there will be alot of union work everywhere and we all need to set are own conditions......but there will always be kiss asses which is really sad.

I absolutely agree about setting up new conditions to benefit us, THE WORKERS. To long now that the IOU's have been dictating the contracts that OUR unions are the agree upon. They use intimidation tactics because the work is slow. They take and take more from us in every negotiations. Who has worse storm pay now? Who lost paid holidays? Oh yes, they'll give us 1% on our wage or annuity. But that should be a given that those are increased. I am proud to be a union lineman. But where is the strength that helps us prosper in a time of need? We need to demand what we deserve for the high degree of skill that we put into our work.
    I may be stupid, but at least I'm ugly

Thumbs up Just a Dream

WCH, I know that one organization controlling all the work is a pipedream . Sure would be nice to get to 70 or 80 percent though, and that brother is achievable. We need a group of dedicated linehands that have the knowledge and determination to make it happen. Where do we start? I will be in KC in October attending the International Rodeo, anybody interested (union and non-union) in attending a get together to discuss the issues and the roadblocks? Sick and tired of the narrowbacks making all the decisions.
    Last edited by wudwoker51; 06-20-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by wudwoker51 View Post
    WCH, I know that one organization controlling all the work is a pipedream . Sure would be nice to get to 70 or 80 percent though, and that brother is achievable. We need a group of dedicated linehands that have the knowledge and determination to make it happen. Where do we start? I will be in KC in October attending the International Rodeo, anybody interested (union and non-union) in attending a get together to discuss the issues and the roadblocks? Sick and tired of the narrowbacks making all the decisions.
    You guys gotta remember Hill is an inside wireman, so they have the advantage right now till we get a Journeyman Lineman elected as president of the IO.

THE BEST THING WE CAN DO IS POLICE THE WORK THAT'S GOING ON !!!!

It's easy to let things slide when there's standing calls at the hall,,, but that's being lazy!For years a linehand could drag and be back to work in a few days, now things are rough.We let the street lights go to the wireman ,the subs couldn't get manned up cuz there was 6 - 10's doing hard money pole change outs (6 hrs of work,home or the bar getting paid dt! Don't lie we all did it!) Now we cry when when you drive by a job and see a narrowback doing what we claim is our work!

We have gotten lazy and fat and let the other trades move in on our turf.
    You got wireman doing 90% of the work in the subs,they do the splicing , you get iron workers putting up steel,masons doing the forms and concrete.
    What happened to the ole' days when a LINEMAN did it all???

If you look in the "LinemansHandbook" which we all have seen ,it tells you how to build footings,tie rebar,finish concrete.IF IT HOLDS UP A SWITCH OR A DEADEND STRUCTURE,HAS A BREAKER,IS MORE THAN 600 VOLTS,IS OUTSIDE,IT'S OUR WORK! Why have the attitude that you don't want to do it ,cuz it ain't linework.

The ap's these days are taught to be macho and only do line work,your a pussy if you ain't on the pole! That's the attitude that we have had the last few years that has let our work go to someone else.If we POLICE the jobs right now and don't let the other trades move in on our work then even in slow times there will be work for us.

You need to go to the Union meetings take a stand and an interest in the work that's goin on out there.If your out in California you know the operators engineers got the "Crane Card" thing going,meaning that if you didn't have a Lineman with a crane cert you had to have an operator from another trade running your Manitex, what the hell does he know about setting stuff in a sub the way WE do things.We cant let a JL that has 30 years in the trade run the truck unless he has a NCCO card.

This all happened because we didn't man up a sub with JL's and the contractor was forced to get hands to do the work,guys working out of classification,grunts running the crew,book 4 guys ,and so on.
    At least they are dues paying members,I would rather see a IBEW wireman putting up a sub than a non Union guy.

Getting back on the subject, we need to do our work,not just the highline and pole change outs,but the subs ,the underground,the street lites,the right of way clearing, trolley, anything that has to do with hi voltage.
    Just becuase you cant get off work early or you have the GF on site dont mean that a sub is a shitty job.So what you pull #8 duplex all day and smash insulinks to hook up street lites, it pays A HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY,for the amount of work! A Journeyman Lineman should be able to do it all,and he should be able to teach an ape to do it!

For all you 47 hands in So Cal ,go find one of the "Power Plus" outfits ,look on the side of the buildings they have in Perris or Anaheim,have you guys seen them pulling in ug primary cable for Edison?You know who they are?They install temp power poles, run all that service wire for them construction sites so they can plug in there saws. They hook up to the padmount and the tank on the pole!! They also terminate in PME's and gas switches.Ain't that 47's work???? If you drive by the office building on the 57 freeway in Anaheim it says they do temp power poles,underground and overhead distribution.Now that there is 140 something guys on the books down there isn't the time to bitch, we should have put a stop to them a long time ago, a guy doing a temp power pole on Monday and pulling primary cable on Tuesday, for $15 an hour ,taking your work,go talk to Lavin and have something done about it!!

Wud I agree with you 100%, we don't need to give our work away!!!! I think a JL should take whatever the hall calls with ,quit wait'n for that job by the house,if it's a sub ,take it!!!! If it's ug take it!!!

We also need a JL in the IO,I dont have a bad thing to say about Hill,but he's an inside guy,end of subject.This Union was started by a LINEMAN, why shouldn't a LINEMAN run it now?Hell I would even do it,I'm not a politician but I'm a JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN, a fresh one(two years) but I do know we NEED a JL looking out for us!

We cant give anything away ,first the wireman get it ,then they get lazy and they give it to the RATS,,,,,,,, Quit bitching NOW and KEEP bitching when the works good again,so we keep it!!!!!!!!! My two cents.... E.S.