Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default fall restraint policy

Featured Sponsor

What is your companies fall restraint policy for climbing poles? Do they give you any break using the devcie on poles with telephone and cablvision garbage( drop running vertical , cable converter boxes telephone steps etc.) on it while try to get to neutral.
    Linemanblood

Default We are ground to ground

we are issued the bucksqueeze and a rope lanyard, you start the climb in the squeeze so when you come to a pole step or drop you put the lanyard over the top of the obstacle and unbelt the squeeze then if you go higher than two feet above the last obstacle you need to have the squeeze on again. We are allowed to use a screwdriver to hold the lanyard while installing riser and duct cause the squeeze is in the way for that. We can also use the lanyard like the old belt if we are climbing over steps as long as you can't fall more than two feet into the arrest system. It's not pretty but eight is eight and if it takes all day to be safe so be it.

Default nock on wood

It has not happened yet. I should keep my big yapper shut but no bucksqueeze yet.
    Free climbin or hichhikken our choice unless poles are ice covered then I do think the safy book say with a belt and doublin over everything.
    Just wonderin last time this was brought up, I looked into that new cable one for climbin (can not rember the name) is it any better? than bucksqeezin it.
    Ski

Thumbs down cluck squeeze

The idiots we work for decided to enforce this cluck (buck) squeeze 100%. We argued that it was too slow and cumbersome to perform a pole top rescue. They said in an emergency such as life or limb, that we could use our original brown leather safety. Now they have decided to take our leather safeties away from all of us and hide them somewhere. They are telling us to use the yellow floppy ass nylon safety from the cluck squeeze if we need to rescue. All this from people who have never climbed anything but a 6' stepladder.

5. Default

Right now we can free climb up to catv or tel .Then we have to belt in with the regular pole strap.Now here comes the fun part we have the yellow seat belt thing that we have to use when we come to next obstruction.
    We have a "choker" belt but we only have to use that in in bad weather ice wind and big wood 50' and up
    They want to go ground to ground with rubber too waitin on that one
    Be safe

The dumd ass pukes up in the offices need to realize THERE AINT NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROPER TRAINING!!!: And that includes climbing!!

7. Default

my company is 100% buck squeeze, jelco, or miller. We can use what ever we want as a secondary belt-- most guys use an 8' rope safety. My garage is about 50-50 between the bucksqueeze and jelco. Speaking for my self, I hate the bucksqueeze. The jelco is not much different than a normal belt. NO DOUBT it is a pain in the butt.

8. Default

I have a Jelco and try not to use it when I can get away with it. As for a second belt, I will not use that stupid retractable belt. I'll use either a second buck strap or I'll climb in my harness and just choke the lanyard around the pole or I use a large grouper and clip it onto whatever hardware that I feel is safe.

GD Fu(ksqueeze here at Dominion... would have rather had them cut my sack off...

what a useless peice of garbage...

Edge

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

More bull sH@@ to use.Why in the hell does all this safety crap come out ?answer some one fell and we have to fix it so the anouther 40'000 lineman don't.Plus we can sell a anouther safety tool to a company .Yes training would be great but not cost effective (shit sound like them).We use ladders sometimes to access the pole ,and some dumb A^^ said we have to have a way to save the lineman from the ladder.So they came up with this deal the the person going up has to set up be for he can go to work.It work great on a dead pole with know hardware on it .Every yearv we have to do the training for this and the only set we have is the set for training .cost to much to get all the crews one.Safety is number one to the company when it is cost effective.example FP&L What a SH&T company to work for.