Default Cape Coral man killed in electrocution accident

Featured Sponsor

Cape Coral man killed in electrocution accident
    POSTED: July 8, 2009

David Lewis, a 42-year-old resident of Cape Coral, died after being electrocuted while trimming trees at a Sanibel residence today.

Lewis, owner of David Lewis Tree Service, was working at a Cowry Court home around 11 a.m. According to police, the victim had been trimming a strangler fig surrounding a cabbage palm tree.

"When he cut one of the limbs, the branch fell and struck a power line," said Bill Tomlinson, Sanibel chief of police.

Lewis was pronounced dead on the scene, officials said.

The accident temporarily knocked out electric service to the West Gulf Drive area of the island.

people just don't realize that little wire can and will kill you....another senseless "accident"...

Default Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by mx-5 View Post
    people just don't realize that little wire can and will kill you....another senseless "accident"...
    Two Men Electrocuted Picking Fruit
    Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com
    July 08, 2009 05:58 PM

For the second time in week a man has been killed picking fruit. Wednesday, a man was electrocuted reaching for an avocado in Kaneohe. Last week, a Lahaina man died picking mango.

Emergency crews rushed to Windward Community College in Kaneohe on a call someone had been electrocuted. A man using a metal pole to pick avocado hit a power line.

"They could tell it was still energized because there was some glowing at the base of it," said Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department.

They knew they couldn't touch the man, so they called the Hawaiian Electric Company. Crews shut down the line which powered about 400 homes but by that point it was too late. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"We want to make sure people understand there are risks involved," said Darren Pai, Hawaiian Electric spokesperson.
    Last Tuesday, Jack Kahahane of Lahaina was killed picking mango in his yard.

In both cases, the men were using metal poles but HECO says even if you use a wooden pole, it's still dangerous.

"Even if you're using something that's made out of a non-conducting material such as wood you want make sure you stay at least 10 feet away with any type of pole or ladder or any other type of tool or implement," said Pai.

In the Kaneohe case, a woman was with the man. She did the right thing calling 911 and not rushing to help him.

"If you see a down power line or an electrical accident don't approach it yourself there is a danger of you becoming shocked or suffering worse injury yourself," said Pai.

If you come across a downed power line or electrical problem, call the HECO trouble line at 808-548-7961.

Geese Pope are you obsessed with electricutions? I always hate to hear about someones misfortunes but for crying out loud you seem to be right on top of every accidental contact and all the horrendous results. I suspect we all know the dangers involved with working on and near power lines But Its kinda a downer for me to read most of your posts.
    You have a fine technical mind how bout you post summa that n leave summa the gory stuff off. we really kaint benefit from em since theres usually not enuff info to determine what went wrong, All we kan do is say a lil prayer for another brother somewhere that managed to get himself in an impossible situation. I understand that youre probably in a position to hear all about every bad thing that happens but likewise you should also be in a position to hear about some promising stuff too, Post summa that for a change

Default You are right

Poot, No argument, These incidents are a bummer and I'm sorry to bring you down. PMA Positive mental attitude must be maintained and we need to look toward preventing re-occurance.

Next time you see a stageing too close or a bozo swingign an aluminum ladder next to a service entrance stop and warn of the dangers of the product we work to deliver.

http://www.nationalgridus.com/non_ht...e_brochure.pdf

Of course if you don't want to warn the public and let darwin run it's course that is cool as well. I hope I'm not obsessed focusing on the accidents and near miss. Call me the Reaper but fact is we loose about 40-50 lineworkers on the job annually in the US and it is a bummer. Fighting to bring the numbers down through education and training should be the focus.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by CPOPE; 07-11-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Default It is a drag.

But its vital to a good safety culture on and off the job. I have always read every accident report I could, that away I can learn about scenarios I might not have been aware of. It does suck, no question. But the bright side is that these men and women will not have died in vain if we learn about something that could save ourselves or our coworkers.

Featured Sponsorr

CPOPE's reporting of these incidents IS important. It's a constant reminder that these deaths ARE occurring on a regular basis.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com