Default highline reconductor with underbuild

Featured Sponsor

Just kinda curious, does everybody else spread the distro on hot arms? Or leave it right where it is? Single, wood pole tangent structures. two or three pole deadend structures. 115kv and 12.5kv. lotsa cans, taps, and dips on the distribution.
    Just heard on the job today that they dont plan on spreading the next section of 3 phase distro, because it is not getting reconductored. Still gotta move it to new poles, still gotta tie it in. why not move it the hell out of the way, pull in the million-two, then clip it all in. seems like a bad step to skip to me.
    Let me know what u guys think???

Default Let me understand.....

Gonna have to transfer all the distro. to the new poles, right? All new poles, gonna transfer existing pots, taps, and dips or place new pots, taps, dips until outage? Primary(12.5kv) getting raised, lowered? Gonna spread it at the dead-ends when pulling, or not that either?
    Sounds like they're trying to save money(not), if they can get away with it. Transferring existing will take the same amount of time with cans, taps, and dips. Do they want no outages on the distro.? What was the reason for not spreading given? Or did no one ask that question on the job? Takes a short amount of time to spread the existing sh*t while the new pole is being framed. Just a few questions.
    If I wanted to go to work, I would of answered the phone!

Default reconductor

at the system i work for we would lay the wire out even if the old pole changes out or not. like you said lay it out and get it out of the way so you have some room to work. and the new wire does'nt get it to anything. that way if theres pots or taps they wont have to be out but maybe one more time to transfer to the new line.

Are most of the poles getting changed out? Sounds like it from your post, but not for sure. If so, how do they plan on getting clearance for setting the new poles between hot 3 phase, and threaded up through the transmission? Sounds like more work covering up the distribution far enough to set the poles without spreading the wire. If it were me, I'd want the distribution spread out of the way before pulling in new wire above anyway, sh!t happens, and would hate to see the new conductor bag down into the hot underbuild. I think someone has their head up their @ss on this one.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

5. Default

They might not have enough hotarms, macks, ect. to spead the next section. Are the putting in taller poles? Do they have a crane to set them with. Is the underbuild 10' 4 flat or is the neut low. I am sure they will be able to kill the transmission, and if they have a crane to set they can cover and thread the pole through. If the poles are taller you shouldn't have a problem with it getting into the distrubution when pulling in the new transmission. But you might check with the crew doin the work, they can probably answer you better than us.

We just finished a job not too long ago that sounds just like yours. 69 kv up top and 16 kv 4 wire flat construction most of the time. A little bit of vertical double circuit on the 16kv. We were adding a new circuit to the
    69. Went through and set all the new poles with the 16 hot, and reframed the ones we needed to. Then pulled in the new wire up top, with the 16 on one shot and not spread. Lots of cover on the puller and tensioner ends.

Not enough information for me to make a judgement. I would suggest that if you have to move the distribution to a new pole, you can spread it if you want because it has to be moved anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LINCRW View Post
    Not enough information for me to make a judgement. I would suggest that if you have to move the distribution to a new pole, you can spread it if you want because it has to be moved anyway.
    yeah sounds about right... what kinda set up are you running how many buckets whats hot whats not... you taggin out the mission? you taggind out the 'bustion? need more info for sure.... I'm all sor getting the trash outa your way... makes it easier to transfer to the sew stick... but more info would be great...

for what its worth...

Edge

Default Edge.....

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    yeah sounds about right... what kinda set up are you running how many buckets whats hot whats not... you taggin out the mission? you taggind out the 'bustion? need more info for sure.... I'm all sor getting the trash outa your way... makes it easier to transfer to the sew stick... but more info would be great...

for what its worth...

Edge
    This job is in my district, I think, The crew know's what they are doin, Transmission is switched out, plenty of room for settin, poles are in, wire's in and clipped, nothin left to do but transfer the bution as you put it. No reconductor on the bution. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by johnbellamy; 09-02-2009 at 11:33 PM.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by WAlinehand1970 View Post
    Just kinda curious, does everybody else spread the distro on hot arms? Or leave it right where it is? Single, wood pole tangent structures. two or three pole deadend structures. 115kv and 12.5kv. lotsa cans, taps, and dips on the distribution.
    Just heard on the job today that they dont plan on spreading the next section of 3 phase distro, because it is not getting reconductored. Still gotta move it to new poles, still gotta tie it in. why not move it the hell out of the way, pull in the million-two, then clip it all in. seems like a bad step to skip to me.
    Let me know what u guys think???
    reread this a bit... prolly don't wanna lay it out cuz you'd have to move it twice.... if it's on 10 ft arms prolly not a big deal... if you were on the east coast I'd say slap some rubber on it... but since your in stick country... stick some plastic on it if your worried about it... if the 'mission is switched out it shouldn't be that big of a deal especially if your big stick has enuff boom to get over the 'Bustion and winch up the wood on the neutral side... depends on the outfit doing the work...

Edge