Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many of you guys work out?

Featured Sponsor

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Some of you "work out" everyday at work, but I'm talking about gym time. How long have you been doing this? What kind of work outs do you do during the week? That kind of thing.

I'm just now able to do some physical activities after my surgery in April. It's taken awhile, but I think I'm finally there without hurting. Now I'm ready for some arm and leg workouts. I was walking, but I just don't get that much out of it. So, I started riding my bike....that's gettin' it! Much more of a workout especially for my legs.

So, how many of you guys work out? What are you doing? How many times a week? And if you know some 50 yr old women out there doing it, what are they doing???

In a job with rather random hours and a lot of working away from home it's hard to hold down a gym membership. Most gyms charge a monthly rate for access or a much higher price for individual sessions (to encourage you to take the monthly option).

I've given up on the monthly system at my local gym. It really isn't geared up for people who work away from time to time. I used to go three times a week to do a general workout and use their pleasingly powerful showers.

To be honest though, if you do manual work for a living you don't really need to go to the gym.

Not unless you're a bit of a muscle queen.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default I guess you know my answer

I run or bike about 5 days a week. I lift 3 days a week. We have a great gym facility at the co-op. As a fitness incentive a couple years ago, the manager offered to pay 1/2 the cost of gym memberships to any employees that belonged to a gym longer than 6 months. Enough employees did it so that the manager approached the board and said, he I can set up a gym here for not much more than that. The board agreed. We have about 20% of our employees that use it regularlly.

My wife,who will be 52 in Sept., walks about 4 miles a day and does Bikram yoga. She bikesd a little and we kayak together pretty regular.

Umm Ize to tite to spend muney onna gym n so I Haz devised a werkout program at home. Few weeks ago I started with 2- 5 lb tater sacks held at arms legnth for long as I cud stand it.After a while I cud hold em out longer than when I started, Next I used 10 lb tater sacks n the sact same thang happened, I'm now up to 20 lb bags. Next week I plan on puttin taters innem.

I'm with ya Clive. It's hard sometimes to fit the activity in. Especially when you don't have any "set" hours. I personally think you need alittle bit of aerobic time in. What I mean is time either on the bike, running, swimming, etc.......something to get the ole heart up to a certain rapid beat. I've chosen the bike---which is working out pretty well. But, I also need some muscle toning. Muscle queen? Heh. Naaah, I ain't goin' out for Mrs. 50 Year Old beauty queen (grins at Swamp), or nuttin' like that. That, ain't my cup of tea----even if I WANTED to.

Duck, that's what I mean! I just found out today that we are getting some equipment at our school gym that will be open for employees and staff members. I'm sooo excited! This means when I get off work(4pm), I can go to our own gym with no cost! Just what I'm looking for.

Well, once school gets started, I will. I worked until 6:30pm tonight and forgot to call the Boss. If I forget to contact him much more, there won't be much buns to get rid of because he will have chewed most of it off!
    Last edited by LostArt; 08-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Umm Ize to tite to spend muney onna gym n so I Haz devised a werkout program at home. Few weeks ago I started with 2- 5 lb tater sacks held at arms legnth for long as I cud stand it.After a while I cud hold em out longer than when I started, Next I used 10 lb tater sacks n the sact same thang happened, I'm now up to 20 lb bags. Next week I plan on puttin taters innem.
    (chuckles)

Well, it's better than eat'em, I guess Poot.

7. Default

I do alot of arm curl's, I do high rep's, low wieght. I start with 16 oz curls, every rep I lighten the wieght, then repeat until I get a good workout. Then some heavy meditation, then get plenty of rest.

The Boss does a few of those arm reps, but only when his arms are bothering him.

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    I'm with ya Clive. It's hard sometimes to fit the activity in. Especially when you don't have any "set" hours. I personally think you need alittle bit of aerobic time in. What I mean is time either on the bike, running, swimming, etc.......something to get the ole heart up to a certain rapid beat. I've chosen the bike---which is working out pretty well. But, I also need some muscle toning. Muscle queen? Heh. Naaah, I ain't goin' out for Mrs. 50 Year Old beauty queen (grins at Swamp), or nuttin' like that. That, ain't my cup of tea----even if I WANTED to.
    Aerobic workout, huh? I can think of some great workouts with a muscle queen, or a gymnast, for that matter!
    But, when that option isn't available, 50 situps and 50 arm curls with a 25lb weight are pretty good too! Rollerblading is a real good workout too.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Featured Sponsorr

Some schools of thought say that sit ups are really not a good thing to do. It's easy to damage your back doing them.

On the other hand, arm curls are the easiest way to get a "pumped" look, since the upper arm shows muscle mass much more than most other parts of the body.

I've been checking out a dumbell system that has a stack of weights, a dial and a shaped tray they all sit in. You turn the dial to the weight you want and when you lift the dumbell it only lifts the plates corresponding to your chosen weight, while the rest remain in the tray. It's basically a whole rack of dumbells in a single unit. Given that most of my gym exercises are dumbell based I reckon one of these could save me its cost in gym fees quite quickly.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com