Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Maybe you can school me a bit Sergio... Does this mean you've started your apprenticeship? What is the school you're talking about?

And the reason I'm asking is because apparently things have changed a bit. Back in 1985 I took a state test. Passed that, Went for an Interview with NEAT ( Northeastern Apprentice Training), then started a 7,000 hour program (OTJ Training and Book work). There were no pre-requisites.
    I too went through the NEAT program.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Default From what I've been seeing

Quote Originally Posted by loodvig View Post
    I too went through the NEAT program.
    It seems Lood that these new apprentices are doing more and more Before even getting into the apprenticeship. Like these climbing schools they have out west, Construction classes, etc.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

3. Default

Well, the classes im in right now are classes like electrical theory, wiring techniques, etc etc.. just general basic electrical classes. I will be taking the climbing class next semester which includes climbing and diffrent jobs on the pole. that class will provide me with a certificate, then from there I can go and apply for an apprenticeship at a utilty or wherever else..

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alexyikes00 View Post
    Well, the classes im in right now are classes like electrical theory, wiring techniques, etc etc.. just general basic electrical classes. I will be taking the climbing class next semester which includes climbing and diffrent jobs on the pole. that class will provide me with a certificate, then from there I can go and apply for an apprenticeship at a utilty or wherever else..
    Good Luck Sergio. Seriously man.

When you graduate...You will have the "Basics" of the Line Trade.

I can't really associate with what you're goin thru right now, but certainly admire you for wanting to be a Lineman, and going to this School.

The trade has Changed SO much since I started in it, in 1968 as a grunt...in a muni.

The best of Luck to you Sergio! When you're learnin to climb...Keep your A$$ OUT from the pole man!

Good luck man!
    “He who dares not offend, cannot be honest”
    ~ Thomas Paine ~

Default It use to be..

It use to be you would be taught all these things after you got into the apprenticeship.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Old Line Dog View Post
    Good Luck Sergio. Seriously man.

When you graduate...You will have the "Basics" of the Line Trade.

I can't really associate with what you're goin thru right now, but certainly admire you for wanting to be a Lineman, and going to this School.

The trade has Changed SO much since I started in it, in 1968 as a grunt...in a muni.

The best of Luck to you Sergio! When you're learnin to climb...Keep your A$$ OUT from the pole man!

Good luck man!

Yea, I bet it was alot tougher to be a lineman in the 60s.. Thank you

and yes!.. thanks for all the advice.. Im going to be making a trip to "farwest lineman" to buy my gear really soon... im very excited

7. Default

It use to be you would be taught all these things after you got into the apprenticeship.
    oh ok.. well in order to get accepted into the lineman class, you have to take these test, and also have some pre requisite classes (dc/ac theory, hand tools, wiring techniques) so ive been in electrical classes for about a year. Now im finally going to climb

Default Ok

oh ok.. well in order to get accepted into the lineman class, you have to take these test, and also have some pre requisite classes (dc/ac theory, hand tools, wiring techniques) so ive been in electrical classes for about a year. Now im finally going to climb
    Well Good Luck to you!

9. Default

Well Good Luck to you!
    thank you Rob

Featured Sponsorr

But it's much more profitable to "train" people these days by luring them in with the promise that they might get a job after you've "trained" them.

Sadly with a bit of self promotion the "schools" will manage to convince the lesser management individuals that they should only employ pre-trained individuals and the traditional apprenticeship will gradually fade away.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com