Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by UGL View Post
    hello all,
    I'm from Maryland and work for Baltimore Gas & Electric. My current job title is Underground Mechanic, Splicer B. So I'm not technically a Lineman. I was given the choice to become one but differed to the underground cause thats where I was told the money's at. So lets see, I got my start in the utility field while in high school where I worked for a small contractor doing new business and URD. I stayed with them for about four years before getting hired on with BGE. I've now been with BGE for the last three and half years. I spent a year at their training center before being sent to the wolves. I now work in the Undergrounds Lines dept. I do trouble to new construction and have worked on everything from 120-240v to submarine pipe type transmission. Even tho my dept. is heavily based on underground lines and equipment we still do Over Head work during storms. I'm glad I found this forum and get to get a feel for other utilities around the country and world. I can't wait to contribute.
    welcome UGL,its good to hear from anyone concerning the trade as a whole,keep us informed,if you have some stories feel free....by the way ,is your company hiring?...watch out in those manholes,vapors and all.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    welcome UGL,its good to hear from anyone concerning the trade as a whole,keep us informed,if you have some stories feel free....by the way ,is your company hiring?...watch out in those manholes,vapors and all.
    Yes we are hiring. I think the next posting for a utility position will be in November. For the past three years we've been hiring 60 to 100 new employes a year.

Quote Originally Posted by UGL View Post
    Yes we are hiring. I think the next posting for a utility position will be in November. For the past three years we've been hiring 60 to 100 new employes a year.
    Thats surprising,it sounds like business is booming up that way,is there alot of construction or do you have a large chinese population in your area,I hear China has all the work.

BGE went on a hiring freeze back in the 90's, didn't hire anyone for 10-12 years. then a couple years ago someone realized "oh crap" people eventually retire (or die). so they've been hiring pretty heavy for the past few years. We have something like 350 lineman and 85 underground lines employees. they also hire for gas side, transmission, metering dept, substation, and a few other areas. the only down side is if you are in a union that wont mean much here since we're not, so you'll pretty much start from the bottom. you'll probably move up pretty quick some people have made crewleader in 5 years, but don't expect seniority to be considered here. and ah no chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy007 View Post
    Welcome aboard,dont feel too bad,i cant answer your question but just wanted you to know that Ive worked for a utility similiar to FP&L....they didnt issue anything,no plaque,no certificate,nothing,so dont be discouraged....keep looking and talking to anyone and everyone,where in Flordia?
    Southwest fla, funny thing happened the other day, I just got done repairing a primary fault and was switching it back in when I heard a fuse blow but it was'nt my phase. Anyway, FPL troublemen came out and he thought the company quit asking if you have your appr. papers. Guess I will wait and see since they keep your app. for 2 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Southwest fla, funny thing happened the other day, I just got done repairing a primary fault and was switching it back in when I heard a fuse blow but it was'nt my phase. Anyway, FPL troublemen came out and he thought the company quit asking if you have your appr. papers. Guess I will wait and see since they keep your app. for 2 yrs.
    Utilities,in my opinion,do as they like,papers or not,Smaller cities can be a pain in the a$$.Washington state has some type of course/class/certificate...that you will need just for rubber gloves training......and you wont get in unless you had that course....they dont care if you have been a lineman for 88 yrs.

7. Default

I'm a Municipal Power Lineman. Have been for 15 yrs. I'm the crew leader now and do a lot of paper pushing. I still get to go out with the crew and work but I miss just being a lineman. Going to work keeping the power on and no worries. Now I have to keep the power on lookout for the guys . and do all the paper work order's etc . But I think Powerlineman.com is great I thank you guys for the help when I get stumped.... BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the site brs!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LostArt View Post
    Welcome to the site brs!
    Thank you very Much

Default Very much the noob

Featured Sponsorr

Good day all. I have just started my apprenticeship with IBEW local 97 in Upstate NY. Having been trying to get to this point since 1985 with our local utility and finally after going through the call center and work as a garage mechanic have finally made it. Looking forward to this new career and will start early with the thanks to all of you for what you do as well as the advice that you share here.