Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default pre-appprentice lineman written and physical test

Featured Sponsor

i am hearing that there is an opening for pre-apprentice lineman at smud coming up in a couple months and ive been trying to train by climbing every day and getting used to all the tools that lineman use. studying up on different kind of math. i am wondering if anyone has any tips or any imformation what would be on this written test and the physical test. i need to know what to train for

thanks,
    matt flatland

Default Cast

Most places make you take a CAST test which is from the Edison Electrical Institute. You can look it up on PSE&G web page and they have sample test. Make sure you pick the CAST test because the dispatcher test will freak you out with math.

3. Default

hey thanks lizzy=]. any chance you know what could be on the physical test?

Default Physical test

I don't think the physical test is about strength as much as it is about following instructions. I think they want to test your mobility by doing things like touch your toes, twisting and reaching. I believe they have you do a curl sort of pull on a machine to test strength, but the key in every part is that you do it the way you are instructed. I heard guys get dumped because they over did it or didn't do the task as it was asked. So don't go in there showing them your superman, just do what is asked and you should be fine. After all if they were looking for the incredible hulk there would be a ton of us still looking for a job and the ones that got the job would all be wretched broke down old people. This job is not about strength it's about using your head to rig the work to make it easier, position on the pole, finding a way to get it done without strain. Good luck

5. Default

hey thanx tman. apreciate that.. i try to keep in shape by workin out every other day, u wouldnt happen to know if they still have that memory test from last year,because that test was really dumb and cut the best people out there. i wanta figure out what exactly will be on the physical test so i know what to train for ya no,along with if someone knows what kind of things is going to be on the written test for this. all ur information helps!!

thanks a bunch

Default My Experience...........

I have no idea what your program will be like. I went through TVPPA's "Apprentice Pre-Assessment Program", which combines field work and class work, intended to basically be a boot-camp to weed people out. I was in a pretty large class of 23 and our instructors told us it was the first class they'd done that someone hadn't dropped out. Essentially you don't technically begin your apprenticeship until completing this assessment which is a M-F lab.

The "physical" part was lining up in single-file and climbing 16 '40's, over and over again and also a couple afternoons of '90's.

We then took a final written exam on Fri. morning which was based on "homework" assignments given each day straight from the Lineman/Cableman's Handbook. They were not concerned about the bookwork, doing everything they could to ensure all a passing grade. The field work - climbing was the main thing.

I may be talking apples to your oranges, but I'd climb my hind-end off until then and know many of the knots w/ my eyes closed..................

7. Default

yea i been trying to climb every day and practicing stuff. appreciate the info though perk! u think they will test on knots too?

8. Question

so kid what county r u @ northern cali? Where do u climb poles @ poles around your neighborhood?
    Peace n blessing!!

9. Default

i live up in sacramento california. i practice on my property and my dad has all the tools for me because he works at smud. can u give me some pointers on what to study on for the written or the physical test?thanks man

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/videos/index.html Go to that website all kinds of stuff. Most likely its just basic math, adding, subtracting, division,ect. fractions. easy stuff from H.S. If your dad works there then you should know everything you need to know to get in.
    Peace n blessing!!