Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Default What is PIKE thinking??

Featured Sponsor

We got the"official" news on the guy that got killed last 2 weeks ago on duke power system. Now pikes answer to this is for EVERYONE on the ground to have their rubber gloves on. This dont mean just setting poles or pulling guys. They mean when you get out of your truck, you put your rubbers on. Frameing poles, hand digging holes, putting material together. foreman, lineman, operators, groundman, it dont matter you must have youyr rubbers on. Now, i guess the lineman can use his gloves on the ground on steel cable, driving staples, ect. and then go up and work hot primary???

You know what Mr pike? I got an idea, how about not sticking someone not qualified in the primary zone??? And get some training for the guys. You have these little classes that suppose to get us qualified on different things that are a day, at the longest, long. you want us out of there as soon as possible because the class room dont make money. Its all about the money to you. I took a climbing school with your company, Mr pike, it was a day long. I got a bud that went to work with a power company. His climbing school was 3 weeks long and just short of an army boot camp.

We work out of pin on buckets. Line trucks with pin on buckets because they cost less to operate on a unit job. HEY i got an idea, how about bidding a job taking buvket trucks into consideration??? Pin ons are nice to have for some things, but the crew im on has only 1 line truck and 1 bucket. We are a reconductoring crew. we lay out 3 phase primary, jack wire on double circuit deadends, ect,ect,ect. We do all this out of a pin on on a line truck. We are saving you money though, Mr pike, at the expense of the employee. We bust our asses out here just to have a supervisor come up and tell us we are loosing money, That we gotta work harder. Because the units are tight. Mr pike low bids everyone to get the job, then puts us all at risk to make money on a damned unit.

Ive jumped off topic a little here, but i guess i cant understand the way our management team reacts to different things. Come on guys ,rubber gloves all the time on the ground?? Who was the genius that came up with that one? and how big of a raise did he get for coming up with it?

And i wonder if this includes the boys from Alma, GA...or are they exempt???
    UMMMM

Angry

hey halfhitch, did you read through all the fatalities at Pike I posted in the other thread? I gaurantee the Bigwigs at Pike did. Those were only the accidents that made the news. I realize Pike is a huge corporation employing thousands of lineman. I'm sure there are some great lineman who work for Pike. The problem as I see it, is many workers simply don't have the right equipment to do the job safely. The " Git er Done" mentality seams to run rampant. I'm not exactly sure how their training program is structured but I think its based on hours worked versus years. In some cases I bet a App could progress to journeyman in a couple years. It would take three times that at a major utility. To make things worse Pike is a non-union outfit which useally means put up or shut up. I bet they've ran countless safety conscience lineman off the property the minute they started causing problems or slowing the job down. Pike hires the majority of new Apps from the Linemans college. These poor bastards dont know if their a$$hole is bored or punched and are thrown on a crew and expected to be productfull. Pike is one of the first contractors called whenever a union utility is in contract negotiations. We've seen First Energy has no problem hiring these scabs. If I was a Lawyer, I'ld love to represent some of these poor souls who've lost their lives to corporate greed at Pike.

Putting rubber gloves on everybody when they get out of the truck is llike leaving their brains in their lunch pails. . . . .it's also going to cost more to replace all the damaged gloves and covers doing all the tasks that tear them up. . .

if it was any of your business you would know

Default what is Pike thinking?

here is what they are thinking.... fines and the costs of comp insurance are a cost of doing business.

It's cheaper to roll the dice ...every day you "dont kill" somebody and run those pin-on buckets and untrained people is a day you can make enought profit to pay for any future losses.

Some of the bigger utilities rate your safety record before they let you bid... shame on the ones who dont... or choose to ignore things

5. Default

Hey topgroove! i did read all of your posts on the accidents at pike. Its mind bogg-a-lin to say the least! I currently work for pike and have for the last several years. I work in Florida. The bad part of it all is that there is nowhere else to work. The power co. are not hiring, and pike seems to be about the only game in town, AND THEY KNOW IT!!! "if you dont like it. LEAVE!!" That is there way of thinking. I cant speak for the other states, But here if you are not part of the "CHOSEN FEW" (ie; the Alma, GA brotherhood) Then you aint sh*t. I have personally seen good lineman and foreman laid off for lack of work, only to have a crew from Alma,GA come to take there place. And there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

I do not post here that much. I think my last post was on this subject. I deleted one of my posts because i did some name dropping and wasn't sure about any legal issues that may come about because of that. But they Ran off one of the best GFs i ever worked for..whom ill just call JC. They demoted him for no reason at all but to stick one of the chosen few (ie Someone from the brotherhood) in his place. They laid off countless of others who where good, safe workers because the work in GA was getting slim and they had to put these guys somewhere. ( "They know who They are but we will refer to them as BM or bowel movement, MB or master bater, and KB better known as koc breath).

I could go on and on at the things this company does and the way they treat there employees but ill save it for next time. If it seems that i have an axe to grind with this outfit then you are correct. But i gotta eat man.. what else can i do. They got us. Just work safe guys. lets not be another one of pikes statistics.
    Last edited by halfhitch; 11-13-2009 at 09:10 PM.

6. Default Halfhitch

We had some of them scab-ass so-called pike lineman up here in Penelec land TRYING to cover the work. There were some more scabs from Mississippi also. I think they were called chain or something like that. They certainly had a few chains missing!! If they think they're lineman, I'll kiss your butt at the corner of north and main. I've never seen such sloppy work in all my life. When the strike was over , we had to go re-do alot of their work. I'd really be proud to work for those two outfits......NOT!!

Quote Originally Posted by halfhitch View Post
    Hey topgroove! i did read all of your posts on the accidents at pike. Its mind bogg-a-lin to say the least! I currently work for pike and have for the last several years. I work in Florida. The bad part of it all is that there is nowhere else to work. The power co. are not hiring, and pike seems to be about the only game in town, AND THEY KNOW IT!!! "if you dont like it. LEAVE!!" That is there way of thinking. I cant speak for the other states, But here if you are not part of the "CHOSEN FEW" (ie; the Alma, GA brotherhood) Then you aint sh*t. I have personally seen good lineman and foreman laid off for lack of work, only to have a crew from Alma,GA come to take there place. And there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

I do not post here that much. I think my last post was on this subject. I deleted one of my posts because i did some name dropping and wasn't sure about any legal issues that may come about because of that. But they Ran off one of the best GFs i ever worked for..whom ill just call JC. They demoted him for no reason at all but to stick one of the chosen few (ie Someone from the brotherhood) in his place. They laid off countless of others who where good, safe workers because the work in GA was getting slim and they had to put these guys somewhere. ( "They know who They are but we will refer to them as BM or bowel movement, MB or master bater, and KB better known as koc breath).

I could go on and on at the things this company does and the way they treat there employees but ill save it for next time. If it seems that i have an axe to grind with this outfit then you are correct. But i gotta eat man.. what else can i do. They got us. Just work safe guys. lets not be another one of pikes statistics.
    hey halfhitch... why don't you send your resume to National Grid we're here in the NorthEast. we can always use good lineman. The pay is great and you cant beat the bennifits.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenxarm View Post
    We had some of them scab-ass so-called pike lineman up here in Penelec land TRYING to cover the work. There were some more scabs from Mississippi also. I think they were called chain or something like that. They certainly had a few chains missing!! If they think they're lineman, I'll kiss your butt at the corner of north and main. I've never seen such sloppy work in all my life. When the strike was over , we had to go re-do alot of their work. I'd really be proud to work for those two outfits......NOT!!
    Yeah we're still fixin' stuff the scabs F'd up! The worst ones (quality wise) were the PSI instructors....no wonder the apes we get from them know nothing about line work! The worse ones safety wise were chain...of course I could care less about those a$$holes gong home in one piece, bottom feeders...

Thanks halfhitch... for reporting the crap.

I can't believe this site, the guy comes in here reporting the skinny for the betterment of the biz, and before he gets his mouth closed here comes a couple guys who got there feelings hurt during their strike and start shittin in his mouth.
    Grow up brokenarm, and can'twait... the mans tryin to help.

We are all here for the same reason, and it isn't to crap on each other.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    Thanks halfhitch... for reporting the crap.

I can't believe this site, the guy comes in here reporting the skinny for the betterment of the biz, and before he gets his mouth closed here comes a couple guys who got there feelings hurt during their strike and start shittin in his mouth.
    Grow up brokenarm, and can'twait... the mans tryin to help.

We are all here for the same reason, and it isn't to crap on each other.
    must of missed something??? nobody's badmouthing halfhitch???