Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by johnbellamy View Post
    Mr. Miller said enough, laid down a hell of a foundation, built one hell of a house, just hate to see it torn down.
    It's not being torn down, its just got a lot of rot eating away at the woodwork inside. The IBEW is the classic example of a great union that made huge strides for the people it represented, but has now become populated with politicians who have no understanding of the trade they claim to represent.

You need a new Mr Miller. Someone with the guts to face up to the corporate bullies and create a new union that puts safety and skill before raw profit.

We really need a new fresh union like that here in the UK too.
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Well Clive.........

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    It's not being torn down, its just got a lot of rot eating away at the woodwork inside. The IBEW is the classic example of a great union that made huge strides for the people it represented, but has now become populated with politicians who have no understanding of the trade they claim to represent.

You need a new Mr Miller. Someone with the guts to face up to the corporate bullies and create a new union that puts safety and skill before raw profit.

We really need a new fresh union like that here in the UK too.
    First we have to define what being a IBEW Journeyman Lineman really is these day's.

Are we gulity of being our own greedy little politican looking out for our own interest's at our own level.

Do we truley have our brother's back, or is it just there to put a knife in.

Has this Union Mr. Miller built sold out, does every man really have his price to sell out the other.

What is it all really about.

As much as I would like to help non-union lineman see there is a solution to there problem, they will not see they have to help in doing so.

As much as I would like to protect these kid's, I can't, only the lineman that are yelling GO,GO,GO,STUPID,STUPID STUPID, can. But you see, that is there way, that's how they were trained, they are rewarded by outfit's like Pike for doing so. That is a Rat mantality.

Some guy's maybe will be able to help a handful by getting them on with a Union outfit somewhere, but that will not solve the big problem that it will continue to recycle itself.

All lineman can get on the same team, or it will continue to be a all out war, we can continue fighting each other, or fight together for a better way of life for all.

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Damn J.B. tell us how ya really feel!

Well like a few have said....NOTHIN!
    Nothin good that is? The more they f*ck up the better we Union hands will look! Problem is if you're gonna be so Union strong can you look in the mirror and HONESTLY say you have done EVERYTHING possible to help promote the "Union Way" of life (In ALL trades not just ours)?

I know this is going to be a little extreme but do ya buy ONLY UNION (you know cars, goin to Swampmart)? Do you use ONLY UNION contractors for your own personal life projects (lawn, home renovating)? There are many more examples and like most of us you probably don't so when you have your car repaired by a rat mechanic or purchased clothes and such made overseas they just helped make your "wages" go further?

Now don't get me wrong here! I don't like seeing rats doin our work either but NONE of us were borne Union! Eventually someone (Old Mr. Miller of course!) cared enough for the "rats" to take the time to ORGANIZE them and created the trades we so love today!

I hope you don't take offense to my post J.B.! But if ya do so what! Like you it's just how I feel and believe also!

Be Cool man!

I can say that honestly and with out regret... the only reason I would go to walmart is to burn one down.... it's one of the reasons this country is suffering today...

I buy Union... when that is not an option I strive to buy American or Canadian...
    there are some things like my computer stuff that my son does for me that just aint made here...

and I WAS born union... and will be union till I die...

for what it's worth...

and Big Clive I like your post bub... your right the rot is eating away at Millers house... we need to make repairs...

and no offesce to you but alot of the problems lineman suffer is because of Narrowbacks are running the IBEW...
    but it's the Linemans fault... not enuff participation at the locals... we need to voice and vote... be more proactive at an almost grass roots level to insure that our rights are not rotting away as well...

this includes organizing and even salting contractors... as well as indivual hands...

big money is also part of the rot... politics and insurance companys... some of this can be combated through proper training and education... most of it happens in the hall though...
    the corruption needs to be weeded out at the lowest levels before it ever makes it to the top...

if we would just start policing ourselves alot of this stuff would start changing... but as J.B.'s said many times most of us old cats just lay down and take it scared we might not make it to retirement or just letting a sassy new generation run us over...
    it's gotta stop..

but only when we make it stop...

WE make it stop...

or we can just be back here next year and the year after bitching about the same damned thing..

for what it's worth...

Edge

Default Just an opposing point of view

The UWUA might be willing to take any of you disgruntled IBEW folks in

passing along because the thread went off track to another JB manefesto. Not all non organized shops are rats and scabs.

What does “merit shop” mean?John Killin is president of the Associated Builders and Contractors Pacific Northwest Chapter and executive director of the Independent Electrical Contractors of Oregon.

It’s not a bad question. In fact, I hear it a lot. Many assume it’s another term for nonunion. However, there is nothing negative or “non” about it.

Merit shop isn’t a status. It’s a philosophy. It’s a direct relationship between employer and employee that rewards innovation, initiative, hard work and teamwork. It promotes community and fosters loyalty among coworkers, employers and employees.

The roots for the term merit shop stretch back nearly 50 years. But what does it mean?

To those who use the term, it means freedom. It is freedom for the individual to do his or her best, for the employer and employee to work together for their common interest, and for the company to compete for customers by offering quality and cost-effective service. This is freedom to not bring someone else in to impede or interfere with those relationships.

Those who promote the “merit” philosophy believe in hard work, personal accountability and fair play. They are loyal to their employees and get the same in return.

Merit-shop contractors oppose discrimination on the basis of age, race, national origin, organizational affiliation, seniority, color, creed and sex. They reward employees for quality work, creative solutions and outside-the-box thinking.

It is a philosophy that embraces the greatness in our free-market system. It rewards innovators. It abhors approaches that institute price fixing, artificial market manipulations, or promote the view that there is only one way to do something.

The merit philosophy promotes the American dream. It recognizes that people are not robots. Not everyone works at the same pace, or approaches tasks in rigid, assembly-line manner. Instead, the merit philosophy challenges people by rewarding their productivity and creativity. The employee who works smarter, even at a slower pace, may still be the most productive and thus compensated differently. The 20-year veteran’s wisdom and wily efficiency might rightly earn vastly more than the first-year sprinter.

While merit-shop contractors typically are not unionized or signatory to a union, they are not anti-union. Nor does the lack of a union presence make a company merit-shop. A merit shop believes in choice. That is a choice for employers and employees alike. Employees should make informed decisions, and they should partner with their employer.

I have a very dedicated member who likes to say that there are three ways of doing business in construction – the union way, the nonunion way and the merit-shop way. The merit-shop way is all about supporting training, promoting safety, providing excellence and rewarding valued employees. There is nothing “non” about how he runs his business. He and his employees are “pros,” as are thousands of other merit-shop contractors and their employees all across America.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Here's the plan Duramaxin... first off don't tell a single soul your plan of greener pastures. If anyone finds out they wont teach you a damn thing. As a groundman your not very valueable to anyone. You need to get your CDL as soon as possible you need to document your training everyday. Get yourself a journal and every night when you get home write down everything you did that day. You need to learn transformer theory and know your banks ... Delta delta, open delta , wye delta, wye wye. regulators, capacitors, ratio banks. Class 2 rubber gloves are your best friend, learn how to do everything with class 2 gloves on. Most utilities insist on some sort of antifall device. Learn how to use the thing and look smooth at it. Be the best employee you can be. Don't talk $hit about anybody. When you climb a pole or in a bucket rubber up everything. when you get to the secondary put some hose on it and a blanket. when you get in the primary rubber up everything you can possibly get near. When you take the test for a utility thats one of the things we look for. If you can get some hotstick expierence that would be great. Feel free to ask me or anyone else here anything... we're here to help.

Thank you sir for all the tips. And i will start doing all this so that i can be all i can be. I am sure i will be boring you with questions. Thanks again for the tips.
    New in the game trying to learn all i can why i can

Default ?????

Max,do you think you wasted your money? E.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    I can say that honestly and with out regret... the only reason I would go to walmart is to burn one down.... it's one of the reasons this country is suffering today...

I buy Union... when that is not an option I strive to buy American or Canadian...
    there are some things like my computer stuff that my son does for me that just aint made here...

and I WAS born union... and will be union till I die...

for what it's worth...

and Big Clive I like your post bub... your right the rot is eating away at Millers house... we need to make repairs...

and no offesce to you but alot of the problems lineman suffer is because of Narrowbacks are running the IBEW...
    but it's the Linemans fault... not enuff participation at the locals... we need to voice and vote... be more proactive at an almost grass roots level to insure that our rights are not rotting away as well...

this includes organizing and even salting contractors... as well as indivual hands...

big money is also part of the rot... politics and insurance companys... some of this can be combated through proper training and education... most of it happens in the hall though...
    the corruption needs to be weeded out at the lowest levels before it ever makes it to the top...

if we would just start policing ourselves alot of this stuff would start changing... but as J.B.'s said many times most of us old cats just lay down and take it scared we might not make it to retirement or just letting a sassy new generation run us over...
    it's gotta stop..

but only when we make it stop...

WE make it stop...

or we can just be back here next year and the year after bitching about the same damned thing..

for what it's worth...

Edge
    Ya know being that you're 3rd or 4rth generation (I forget which no disrespect) I was tempted to exclude you from that statement but I'm not goin down as a KISS @SS! As usual you have good points and....uh...huh...HEY CLIVE I THINK I FOUND THE NEXT "MR. MILLER"!

What do ya think Edge? You got the experience and the know how!

BTW...Sorry to suck ya in on that one! Looks like ya kinda fell for a "young en's trick!

Quote Originally Posted by CPOPE View Post
    The UWUA might be willing to take any of you disgruntled IBEW folks in

passing along because the thread went off track to another JB manefesto. Not all non organized shops are rats and scabs.

What does “merit shop” mean?John Killin is president of the Associated Builders and Contractors Pacific Northwest Chapter and executive director of the Independent Electrical Contractors of Oregon.

It’s not a bad question. In fact, I hear it a lot. Many assume it’s another term for nonunion. However, there is nothing negative or “non” about it.

Merit shop isn’t a status. It’s a philosophy. It’s a direct relationship between employer and employee that rewards innovation, initiative, hard work and teamwork. It promotes community and fosters loyalty among coworkers, employers and employees.

The roots for the term merit shop stretch back nearly 50 years. But what does it mean?

To those who use the term, it means freedom. It is freedom for the individual to do his or her best, for the employer and employee to work together for their common interest, and for the company to compete for customers by offering quality and cost-effective service. This is freedom to not bring someone else in to impede or interfere with those relationships.

Those who promote the “merit” philosophy believe in hard work, personal accountability and fair play. They are loyal to their employees and get the same in return.

Merit-shop contractors oppose discrimination on the basis of age, race, national origin, organizational affiliation, seniority, color, creed and sex. They reward employees for quality work, creative solutions and outside-the-box thinking.

It is a philosophy that embraces the greatness in our free-market system. It rewards innovators. It abhors approaches that institute price fixing, artificial market manipulations, or promote the view that there is only one way to do something.

The merit philosophy promotes the American dream. It recognizes that people are not robots. Not everyone works at the same pace, or approaches tasks in rigid, assembly-line manner. Instead, the merit philosophy challenges people by rewarding their productivity and creativity. The employee who works smarter, even at a slower pace, may still be the most productive and thus compensated differently. The 20-year veteran’s wisdom and wily efficiency might rightly earn vastly more than the first-year sprinter.

While merit-shop contractors typically are not unionized or signatory to a union, they are not anti-union. Nor does the lack of a union presence make a company merit-shop. A merit shop believes in choice. That is a choice for employers and employees alike. Employees should make informed decisions, and they should partner with their employer.

I have a very dedicated member who likes to say that there are three ways of doing business in construction – the union way, the nonunion way and the merit-shop way. The merit-shop way is all about supporting training, promoting safety, providing excellence and rewarding valued employees. There is nothing “non” about how he runs his business. He and his employees are “pros,” as are thousands of other merit-shop contractors and their employees all across America.
    sorry Reaper... I ain't buying it... merit shop is just another way of saying open shop.... you the individual can dictate you wage by saying yessir boss... I'll do that stupid shit for x amount of dallar... I be willin to do that stupid shit for next to nuffin...

yeah it sounds good on paper pope but in reality you get dumb asses doing this work cuz they're "pros" ... yeah they might be... hell that prolly why we got do many mexicans doing sheet rock and framing... they are "pros"

while I don't disagree in concept I disagree in reality....

you missed the part about policing are selves... we do that not only in safety but in training... welcome to the IBEW...

I can't speak for other unions but there has never been an ape under me that just "passed through" they either did their job and got thier marks or when back to their apehood to try again...

**** open shop... it's' just another way to bust unions

Edge

Quote Originally Posted by MI-Lineman View Post
    Ya know being that you're 3rd or 4rth generation (I forget which no disrespect) I was tempted to exclude you from that statement but I'm not goin down as a KISS @SS! As usual you have good points and....uh...huh...HEY CLIVE I THINK I FOUND THE NEXT "MR. MILLER"!

What do ya think Edge? You got the experience and the know how!

BTW...Sorry to suck ya in on that one! Looks like ya kinda fell for a "young en's trick!
    not me kid that ship has passed me by... it's up to guys like you and JB to make it right... and guys like me to keep ya motivated... I keep my foot in my son's ass (he's 5th)... he will stay inline to... wish I could get him on this site... but he's to much like his oldman I guess always on the go always on the run...

the cats in the cradle I reckon...

Edge

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    not me kid that ship has passed me by... it's up to guys like you and JB to make it right... and guys like me to keep ya motivated... I keep my foot in my son's ass (he's 5th)... he will stay inline to... wish I could get him on this site... but he's to much like his oldman I guess always on the go always on the run...

the cats in the cradle I reckon...

Edge
    Yea I hear ya. My votes for J.B! Good luck!