Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Hey I found out who's in charge of safety

Sad as it is thats about right!

Default A little insight on the pike deal......

I worked for Pike Electric in the Treasure Coast area of Florida. A few of the men that I worked with were good hands. This select few would hold a tailgate, ensure that the crew was on the same page and execute the task at hand safely! On the flip side the majority of the men that I worked around were just dangerous as hell! Half hitch...Pike could give two shits about you or any of the people that you work with! Here is an example....We had a inaccessible backlot pole to work out. It was a 3 phase pole with a single phase pot on it. This yard had these big ass palm trees all over the place so we couldnt get the backyard machine to the primary, we could only use it to transfer the tx. My General Foreman and I were discussing a few approaches to working out this pole and he suggested that I could just run up there and transfer the conductor to the new pole....he would let me know if the safety man was coming! I just kind of laughed and told him I dont mind working the pole out but that I wanted a baker board or a lift stick and some hard cover to get the job done. He told me that he would get me a baker board! When he returned he brought me a board that had been laying in the belly of a line truck for god knows how long and it was covered in grease and hydraulic oil. I told him there was no way in hell that I was using that board with it being in the shape it was in.....the damned thing had probably never even been tested! I ended up quitting Pike that day! Now before this happened I worked with a man named Bill Bailey while I was still with Pike. Bill was terminated from Pike and went to work for a company called AUS in Melbourne, FL. I just got a call about three weeks ago and was notified that Bill was killed in phase to phase shouder to shoulder contact because he didnt have sufficient cover on the line. Bill was a very nice guy and was alot of fun to hang out with out with on the weekends. However, he had alot of bad habits and in the end he payed the ultimate price for carelessness...GOD REST HIS SOUL! For anyone out there who works for a non union contractor.....watch your ass and do not do anything unsafe for fear of losing your job or some other reason! SAFETY STARTS WITH YOU!!! I cannot stress that enough! Iam not going to lay the whole union trip on anyone, but I will tell you that I have been union for quite some time now and crazy shit like that just doesnt happen here! GO UNION! If we see something unsafe or unjust......WE SHUT THE SHOW DOWN! My brothers and sisters are fully aware that there is nothing more precious than life! I do not understand why so many people on the Rat side, not saying all of them, do not seem to realize just how important safety is! I personally never realized this until I came to the union! So anyways that is just one of many many stupid things that happened at Pike and how I took some good out of it and made things better and safer for myself and my family! I hope that at some point you have the opportunity to do the same Half Hitch! Hang in there, the jobs will come around again and you will get your chance to go wherever you want to be!

3. Default lineman

You Are Absolutely Right Local 84 Safety Starts With You And Everyone You Work With Not Just The Foreman. I Work A For A Non-union Muni And It Won't Be The First Time I Told My Foreman No Thats Not Safe Weather It Is For Me Or One Of The Other Guys.
    I Like To Go Home At The End Of The Day In One Peice.

Default Truth of fiction?

Half,
    Are you saying that Pike wants everyone on the ground in rubber gloves regardless of the task, or are you exaggerating a bit? I know AEP requires folks on the ground who are handling downed conductors to wear gloves with dielectric footwear, etc., even if the line is grounded. AEP has a valid reason for requiring this, but it is hard for me to imagine anyone who is, even the least bit familiar with linework, to require rubbers for every task on the ground.

So, let me know if there is a bit of exaggeration in your statement. The reason I ask, is because the boys from Pike where I work are not in rubbers for every task on the ground.........

Default closer to the truth

half is not quite right, the rubber glove rule is basically saying that if you can touch anything energized then you must have on your rubber gloves. this includes hand digging over energized conductors and working around a truck with a boom in the air near energized conductors. figured you union guys would love this crap

Lightbulb Why ???

To the Previous Poster : I have been following this story for awhile. Here's my question. WHY... would you; or anyone else on here for that matter, create another or multiple accounts here on Powerlineman.com ; just to hide who you are ? Are you scared for your job ? Worried your fellow workers will harass you? I'm in the UNION, so I'm not. And why would you list yourself as IBEW for a username if you are a NON-UNION lineman ? Just wondering.

Eric Elder
    Journeyman Lineman
    KCP&L
    IBEW Local # 1464
    (PROUD TO BE UNION !!! )
    Last edited by Fiberglass Cowboy; 11-19-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Proud to be an IBEW (Utility) Journeyman Lineman; and d@mned proud to be an Army Lineman (12 quebec) and an Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran in the U.S. Army Reserve ...

7. Default

if you are anywhere around the primary area, which in our case is 99% of the time, you must have your rubber gloves on. so when you are framing a pole that is being held off the ground with a line truck, Rubber gloves. This includes stapleing the pole ground. If you are hand digging a hole, rubber gloves. (You know how those pesky long handles are always getting into the primary)

I asked my super for some boom wax the other day cause the boom on the bucket is getting very dirty. He thought i was crazy. didnt know there was such a thing. He still dont believe it??

We glove 7620 off the pole. Never saw a board since i been at Pike. Any one else do this. What is the OSHA standard on this?

Quote Originally Posted by halfhitch View Post
    if you are anywhere around the primary area, which in our case is 99% of the time, you must have your rubber gloves on. so when you are framing a pole that is being held off the ground with a line truck, Rubber gloves. This includes stapleing the pole ground. If you are hand digging a hole, rubber gloves. (You know how those pesky long handles are always getting into the primary)

I asked my super for some boom wax the other day cause the boom on the bucket is getting very dirty. He thought i was crazy. didnt know there was such a thing. He still dont believe it??

We glove 7620 off the pole. Never saw a board since i been at Pike. Any one else do this. What is the OSHA standard on this?
    Here in NY its against the law to glove 7620 of a pole. hotstick or bucket only.

Default The utility

I work for never has gloved distribution primary off the pole. Strickly boards or kill it test it and ground it. I would not glove it off the pole. I have hot sticked transmission off the pole and worked transmission hot off ladders.I know there is some around here that will say thats the way they did it and ...... Personally I like goin home with all my parts intack.

Koga

Featured Sponsorr

we glove 4800 delta and 4160 wye in our hooks all the time but 7.6kv and above must be sticked or bucket.