Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Duramaxin14 View Post
    Having rubber gloves on when the boom is in the air is a bunch of bull espically when u can see that the boom is not around any primairy when the linemen is trying to get material from the groundmen.

And WTF took 3 % of are pay took are vaction days, Quit sponsoring the pbr. They are just starting to get riduclous
    Why in the hell do you guys work for them than. I don't get it. Why would you work for crap pay no vacation $hity equipment. Don't take this the wrong way but I make $40.00 bucks an hour and get five weeks of vacation plus 4 days floating vacation plus 11 paid holidays. We get sick time personel time paid. We get a pension plus they match 50 cents on a dollar in my 401K. Theres lineman jobs on the West Coast that make even more than me. Why the hell would anyone work for Pike Electric. Get the hell out of there as soon as you can. Most Utilities are even offering a sign on bonus for christ sake.

Default pike

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Why in the hell do you guys work for them than. I don't get it. Why would you work for crap pay no vacation $hity equipment. Don't take this the wrong way but I make $40.00 bucks an hour and get five weeks of vacation plus 4 days floating vacation plus 11 paid holidays. We get sick time personel time paid. We get a pension plus they match 50 cents on a dollar in my 401K. Theres lineman jobs on the West Coast that make even more than me. Why the hell would anyone work for Pike Electric. Get the hell out of there as soon as you can. Most Utilities are even offering a sign on bonus for christ sake.
    We all say that but they don't listin pike gives them a 3% cut in pay and we are getting over 4% raise this year and got are per diem raised 10 more dollars a day making it 50 a day the contractor put over 6 dollars a hour for every hour i work in my retirement and it does'nt come out of my pay.what does pike give ya a cut in pay and a kick in the balls??????
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

3. Default

I heard it was only distribution and mechanics that got a pay cut... Not sure if that's true but I do know that transmission didn't take one. I also don't understand why this glove rule applied to transmission crews. What in the hell?

Default pike

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    I heard it was only distribution and mechanics that got a pay cut... Not sure if that's true but I do know that transmission didn't take one. I also don't understand why this glove rule applied to transmission crews. What in the hell?
    There taking all the thinking away from them, they think if everyone wears overshoes and gloves all the time everyone will be safe its because they KILL SO MANY PEOPLE......look on the safety forum alot of them are about pike there a big outfit that treat there hands like $hit and makes alot of money because the hands don't get much???? its not even the fact that i'm a IBEW lineman that i say this its the fact that why you would work for no money or retirement or bennes......I just hate to see another hand get screwed over by a company union or not.
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by west coast hand View Post
    pike there a big outfit that treat there hands like $hit
    Can't disagree with you about that.

The fact of the matter is, it's a job. Not everyone has the time, money or credentials to just get on with the local utility and people like pike offer a man hands on experience along with a pay check that will help support a family... I won't say that it doesn't come with a high risk due to obvious reasons, but it should be ones own judgement whether or not he should go up that pole or tower. If I don't know for a FACT what i'm doing, i'll stop and ask my foreman or inspector. If that costs me my job, or gets me called stupid (which is the most popular word at pike) then so be it.

That boy that got killed sounds more like murder then a accident to me, he should have never been where he was and I would almost bet it was one of these cock suckin foremen that like to make people look stupid that was at fault. That's what kills me most about pike, they got so many of these guys that run around yelling and screaming STUPID!! STUPID!! GO GO GO and then BOOM someone gets killed and they say, RUBBER GLOVES AT ALL TIMES GO GO GO ... Oh fk it, there's no use!

Default grovey

It's a long cold winter out in buffalo and Topgrove seems to have Pike in the cross hairs. Go get-em

Passing along this link FYI - a formal collaboration of industry stakeholders, working together to improve safety for workers in the electric line construction industry.
    http://www.powerlinesafety.org/pdf/B...s_with_FAQ.pdf
    Ten members of which pike is one:
    Occupational Safety and Health Administration
    1. (OSHA)
    2. Asplundh Tree Expert Company, Inc.
    3. Edison Electric Institute (EEI)
    4. Henkels & McCoy, Inc.
    5. International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW)
    6. MDU Construction Services Group, Inc.
    7. Pike Electric, Inc.
    8. MYR Group, Inc.
    9. National Electrical Contractors Association
    10. Quanta Services Inc.

Suggest you might work through this group. Where if Pike is truly out of line with the industry this would be the forum in which to bring them back.
    http://www.powerlinesafety.org/contact/
    OSHA T&D Partnership 1995–2010.
    3 Bethesda Metro Center,
    Suite 1100 Bethesda, MD 20814
    Phone: (301) 657-3110 Fax: (301) 215-4500

PLEASE... that partnership is a compleate Joke. It was formed what, about twelve fatalities ago. And don't even get me started with Quanta and Crinkle & destroy, They may be union but they're about as ratty as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    PLEASE... that partnership is a compleate Joke. It was formed what, about twelve fatalities ago. And don't even get me started with Quanta and Crinkle & destroy, They may be union but they're about as ratty as you can get.
    It might very well be properganda but I wouldn't call it a Joke. The universal goal of the Partnership is to reduce the number of fatalities, injuries, and illnesses in the Industry. The proposed goals, strategies, and metrics for obtaining this universal goal are set forth in Appendix A. The Partnership encourages other non-partnership members in the industry to reduce and eliminate serious injuries and fatalities.
    http://www.osha.gov/dcsp/partnership...owertrans.html

All I' was trying to say is that peer pressure might be a good thing in this case. The partnership was formed back in 2004. If the 5 year numbers show that pike is way out of line with industry norms they would, or should be called to the carpet by the peer group.

Not arguing with you brother, you seemed to be on a mission and I thought the partnership contact would give you a place to grind the axe.
    Last edited by CPOPE; 01-01-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Default Here is what Pike is thinking............

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.............

How do they do it............

1. Employ many.

2. Pay less.

3. Lack proper training, I.E, unskilled labor attempting Journeyman level work.

4. Use the "good ol' boy system", I.E., pay what they want, to who they want to keep the troop's beat down.

5. Recruit right out line school's, I.E. give that young, hungry kid a paycheck, a way to feed his family, let them know, Pike hired you when the IBEW rejected you, you owe a sense of loyality for that.

Now I do understand that young kid, I understand he has to work, I understand he dose not really know any better, I understand he feel's like a lineman.

But I also understand that rat**** that does know better, I understand he knowingly put's these kid's in situation's they have no business being in, I understand they like beatin down these kid's on the job, all because mother Pike takes real good care of them, ain't that right you rat****'s. Real big men ain't ya. I also understand you like bustin Union's.

Now I have been reading this board for a couple of year's now. I have seen Union lineman here trying the best they can to help Rat lineman, I have not been one of them. A Rat outfit like Pike employ's probably thousand's, I am sure someone will give me a #. Now if you guy's are tired of the way you are being treated, tired of bein told, bein scared for your job, Contact the IBEW, they will help, they will make sure you have the proper skill set to do Journey level work. They will help with your safety issue's, they will not allow what is happening to continue, Think what kind of barganing power you would have at contract time.

Now if you read this, there are no more excuses, if ya didn't know, you do now. If you continue to work under the condition's you work under now, well ya damn well deserve it. Ya got the number's, now do ya got the ball's to say enough of this shit. I want a better life for my family, are they worth fightin for.

My Dad alway's told me, you are a man first, you either give a beatin, or take a beatin like one, what you give or take is up to you.

Now on a little side note, to all the older retired 30 or 40 yr lineman, you can feel free to comment on my post's if ya want with your all knowing omnipotance, I won't comment back to ya, I know ya think ya got it all figured out, whatever. I guess ya thinked you have earned that right, maybe ya have, I haven't a clue why you wouldn't use your own name on a website, unless ya got something to hide right? I mean shit your retired, maybe I might listen to ya if I knew who I was talkin to. But feel free to fire away.

Johnny B.

Featured Sponsorr

JB is absolutely correct. Businesses are in business to stay in business. Losing lives must not be too big a deal because if it were there would only be one fatality before things changed. Things haven't changed have they? Seems to me that these lives are just another cost of doing business.

If the managers were so worried about a lost life they'd make sure to not lose lives. Must not be at the top of the priority list.

Do these lives cost the company as much as the loss of a truck? Whats the difference between a life and a truck? I really wonder if a guy was sent packing because of a lost vehicle because I read about guys still employed after losing multiple men.