Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw meat.

Default Raw meat.

Featured Sponsor

Ah, so here's where Pike go for their raw meat:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTWqkmW3QQ

"In no other profession can you be trained more completely in such a short period of time." Apparently.....
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default Net

Clive net was too slow for me to watch all of it ... ok more than the first minute.... I think they could have picked both a better hitch hiker (Climber) and they should have cleaned the Bird do-do off the top of the pole.

These schools usually get someone on at a utility or contractor as an apprentice not a journeyman. Although most of the folks who graduate think they are a lineman.

Later, Bob

National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

Default Listen to it

4 phases of trainning, each one consist of 8 weeks.They claim you can jump to "full scale line worker." Then you can be dead.

Koga

PS RWD, thats the new Bucksqueeze everyone has to use, or will shortly. So called 100% fall protection.What it really is is a pain in the ass tryin to get around on a pole with ya ma bell , cable tv, secondarys, dips ........... No more free climbing !
    Last edited by Koga; 11-18-2009 at 06:33 PM.

Default Hey LA

How about movin this thread to the Safety forum. It would maybe get some attention and discussion.

Koga

Talking Excuse me guys....moving a thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    How about movin this thread to the Safety forum. It would maybe get some attention and discussion.

Koga
    Here ya go!

Default Thanks

Ok now just what do they think a " full scale line worker" is qualified to do ?
    I'm all for as much schooling as you can get but I hope they dont think this would let them go out and start workin hot primary.

Koga

Making a lineman is like making good chicken soup. . .ya can't just swing the chinken around in hot water a few times and call it good soup. ..ya gotta let it cook awhile before all the goodness comes out.

Same for being a line man I can tell you all I know but you wont be good at the job till you spend time working on the job. . .school is the introduction but the repetition of the work is where it all turns good.

Default training vs. experience

Schooling is great to show the new hires the tools we use and where to use them, climbing poles (clean and new ones), hooking up banks, you know, stuff like that. What school can never teach them is work habits that will keep you alive. Things like not putting wire in your bucket. Not putting your hands over your head while on a pole or in a sub. Looking up before walking under the pole or touching the truck, etc. etc.. Those can only be learned from spending years with experienced lineman in the field, not in the controlled conditions of a training facility. These companies need to wake up and realize this is a recipe for disaster. They waited way to long to start hiring to replace the aging workforce. Now they are trying to get them to journeymen ASAP and it just doesn't work that way. Another thing is that these young kids coming up are only looking at how fast they can get the big money, not taking the time to learn the job and pay their dues. Hell, I wasn't even allowed to get in a bucket until my fourth year of apprenticeship. You were in your hooks. And everyone wonders why we are killing linemen at a record pace. SHAME !!!!

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by loose neutral View Post
    Schooling is great to show the new hires the tools we use and where to use them, climbing poles (clean and new ones), hooking up banks, you know, stuff like that. What school can never teach them is work habits that will keep you alive. Things like not putting wire in your bucket. Not putting your hands over your head while on a pole or in a sub. Looking up before walking under the pole or touching the truck, etc. etc.. Those can only be learned from spending years with experienced lineman in the field, not in the controlled conditions of a training facility. These companies need to wake up and realize this is a recipe for disaster. They waited way to long to start hiring to replace the aging workforce. Now they are trying to get them to journeymen ASAP and it just doesn't work that way. Another thing is that these young kids coming up are only looking at how fast they can get the big money, not taking the time to learn the job and pay their dues. Hell, I wasn't even allowed to get in a bucket until my fourth year of apprenticeship. You were in your hooks. And everyone wonders why we are killing linemen at a record pace. SHAME !!!!

not bad LN and I agree with it bub...

especially the time factor.... my Granddad was a WWI and II vet... and an IBEW Journeyman Lineman he used to always tell my old man when he fugged up that that he needed to perfect his metal and of course my old man would tell me the same.... I remember about 5 years after I topped out telling him about how a guy almost rode the steel cuz a banna clip wasn't pinned right when the next body extension was flown in... and he hit me up with that crap "sounds like that boy needs to perfect the metal"

I remember asking him "WTF you and pap (I still talk like they are here but they've both been gone for a while but I guess as long as I'm here they are too) always say that shit WTF are you talking about?"

he told me to hang tight he'd be right back... he went out back to his "library" which was really just an old shed where he kept the fridge with his beer and some knick knacks...
    he came back in and tossed me a brew... then whipped out a friggin Samari sword... I sat back and cracked open the genesee he'd tossed me and was like ok pop you gonna flip out and kill me or yourself...

that when he gave me the history lesson about how the japed forged their swords folding them over and over again untill the metal was .... well perfect...

I've remembered that all my life.. and as much shit as I've burnt up or down... I chalk it up to perfecting the metal...

and thats what gets me about outfits like Pike they wanna take a tin spoon and call it a Samari sword... theres a big difference...

ya got have good metal to perfect it...

the way they rake these kids in they never even have the chance to know...

for what it's worth...

Edge