Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Featured Sponsor

[QUOTE=topgroove;73229]these poor bastards don't have a chance. There fresh young recruits that learn crapy work practices from git r done type foreman who've adapted to pikes work methods.QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better!!

if it was any of your business you would know

Default Swampy

UE Benefits are insurance...not welfare. Employers pay into the system and pay a penalty when they reduce forces. Layoffs are a fact of life for those of us who sign the books... and being able to "layoff" when a contract wraps up helps out contractors bid jobs a profit... and pay into pension funds, training, etc.
    Going from 60 hours a week to $300 a week for unemployment is the only thing a Union hand gets... and that UE figure is less than that in some states. So much for your mis-information about "signing the books"... it's never "paid" for a union hand to sit home.

That 3% cut probably paid the fines and lawsuits if the truth was known.

I feel a lot better knowing that the wire that fell in OKC was "fixed" by a crew of guys to stupid to take in the rear without a reach around.

Default what the ???

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    what's so fu$ked up with that. pike has one of the worst safety records out there. you can be hired fresh out of school and find yourself pushing a crew in less than three years. I don't feel too sorry for your 3% pay cut. you'll make that up ten fold when you scab for mid american next month.
    you saying that really does prove what you think of your fellow lineman-not union then who cares - well we do, thank God that there seems to be more people who do care than those like you who don't
    also why should those lineman care if they do happen to go work while the union figures out what is going on. if you are going to slander these men then you shouldn't be to suprised if they do not care about a walkout.

although i do agree that a 3% cut does beat no job;

be careful and work safe

Question

Quote Originally Posted by climbsomemore View Post
    UE Benefits are insurance...not welfare. Employers pay into the system and pay a penalty when they reduce forces. Layoffs are a fact of life for those of us who sign the books... and being able to "layoff" when a contract wraps up helps out contractors bid jobs a profit... and pay into pension funds, training, etc.
    Going from 60 hours a week to $300 a week for unemployment is the only thing a Union hand gets... and that UE figure is less than that in some states. So much for your mis-information about "signing the books"... it's never "paid" for a union hand to sit home.

That 3% cut probably paid the fines and lawsuits if the truth was known.

I feel a lot better knowing that the wire that fell in OKC was "fixed" by a crew of guys to stupid to take in the rear without a reach around.
    what can you tell me about that wire in OKC? thanks

Default Wire IN OKC

I can only tell you for a fact what the news says... that somehow the wire ended up in the Broadway Extension (US77) and tore up a tractor trailer and crashed 5 cars if I remember right.

From observation... that section crosses a wide swale, median, and 4 lanes at a diagonal.... from some very tall mono poles.

I have to think they had brakes fail on a wire cart or something and just couldnt stop the pull before the wire got low.

I never saw any guard structures go up.. and from the news I observed a high ranger parked to catch low wire on the boom (aka using a bucket as a guard structure)

Waiting to see the "official" report myself.

Note to Swampster... you are a sidesteppin son of a gun. I am still waiting for you to describe the "perks" union hands get from being out of work..you brought it up pal... back it up.

Default swampy swampy swampy...

read this slow... Unemployment money is paid in by the employer. NOT ONE NICKLE of tax money goes into unemployment. It isnt charity or welfare.

Health Insurance... most IBEW outside locals work with LINECO. The premium is paid totally by the contractors we work for (nice to have a contract, isnt it)

The rates are based on the hours you work... if you have been employed and turning in hours for a couple of years you could have a few months of premiums banked up as credit to your favor.

So your not a sidstepper... you just rant about stuff you dont really know about. That's what I thought.

7. Default Grumpy Pike Worker

Well, I gotta say that ole pike sure ain;t what it used to be in any kind of way at all, having been working there when Floyd Pike was running it. It has done a 360 in the last 10 years. It just pisses me off good to see what its become nowdays. I am a g/f and have been for years and I am amazed at what goes on in some places, I hate to agree with some of ya;lls stuff thats said on here, but I have to. A rookie has no damn business even being on a pole, much less in the primary zone or in a bucket period. they need to watch and learn and slowly work their way up, even if they went to so called lineman school. sure they learn to climb , but you gotta know what to do when you up there too. Hell a monkey can climb but I ain;t seen one as a lineman yet. In my thinking it ought to take a man at least 5 years to be able to work on primary at all. i do hate to see Eric getting blamed for all that happens. He has made some good rules ( except that damn rubber glove 24/7 shit) But the foremens have got to see that the workers obey them instead of riding off in the truck looking at bullshit or something. If a young hotshot wants to climb , let them but somebody needs to be with them and just smack the shit out of them if they even think of doing something stupid. thats the way i was brought along and it worked so far anyway. And yep that 3% pisses me off too, but i like my job and will keep it, Times are hard for everybody and i am grateful to have a job at all. Everybody needs a job in this ****ed up economy.

thank God Pike still has expierenced Foremen like you. I'm getting the feeling its pockets of unsafe crews spread out over 19 states. Do you think the Red Simpson aquisition had something to do with this? That was about ten years ago and things started going to $hit after that. If you had the power to change their safety practices where would you start?

9. Default

Well, one of the first things i;d do is when a lineman is hired he;d have to prove he is a lineman to me and several others that i would pick. Next if a new man was hired he;d start at the bottom of the food chain and learn it like that, no matter if he says he has done it before. then i;d have a different kind of saftey dept then whats there now. Sending out papers don;t mean chit.I;d have some roaming saftey instructors go to crews, work with them and have the power to do whatever it took to get everyone on the same page throughout the company. Pike has some really fine people working, some just need guidence, they also have some that need running off period. I think everyone wants this work to be idiot proof and that would be nice, but it ain;t that way and won;t be. As far as these younguns go. I just find it hard to believe they were made to do some of the things that has gotten them hurt and killed, some are just too gung ho for their own good. If i was told to do something that i thought was too dangerous I;d just go home before I;d do it, that choice has always been there and always will be. In my opinion since the red simpson thing and pike becoming a public company, it ain;t been good.I know Eric wants things to be good and make some money also cause thats the whole purpose of being in business. Well i could go on for hours but i don;t type that well (as you may have seen).

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Well I knew I;d forget to say something thats important, We do have the rules in place to be safe, they just got to be followed period