Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A warm fuzzy feeling.....

Featured Sponsor

Fe requires me each morning to listen to a safety call, and each month we have a district safety meeting so that fe can reiterate "how concerned they are about the safety of it's emloyees" Januarys district safety meeting topics were "stored energy" and "driving safely in the winter" The stored energy video was about stacking things too highly and the energy stored when a pallet of junk falls on your head, dont go into silos...cause the feed can swallow you up....From that I think I got that I should never shop at Lowes again...cause they stack their junk too high and could fall on my head. Driving safely in the winter(all stuff my pops taught me when he taught me to drive on the road, and I use everyday...common sense stuff that if you dont know you shouldnt be driving in the winter in these PA hills anyway) At the end of the meeting I complained about having to beg for tires when you need them, and fe showing us a video about pumping brakes, slowing down, leaving more distance between vehicles, etc seemed ridiculous if we dont have our first line of defense.....good rubber on the vehicles. At that time the mechanic spoke up and said fe lowered the tire standards to state minimum(2/32). So Pres. Lincoln, when I stick your copper/zinc portrait in the tread of my tire, if I can see your whole head, I am safe to drive on some of the hilliest, iciest, curvy snow covered road in PA, fe says so.

So what I get out of fe's safety program is work safe, above all else.........unless it is going to cost fe money. Yeah....I had a warm fuzzy feeling about their concern for my safety. NOT

Oh I forgot, as long as I have good rubber on my feet to turn someone's lights on, I should be safe!!
    Last edited by electriklady; 01-06-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: dielectric overshoes

Default FE's reasoning !!!

Quote Originally Posted by electriklady View Post
    Fe requires me each morning to listen to a safety call, and each month we have a district safety meeting so that fe can reiterate "how concerned they are about the safety of it's emloyees" Januarys district safety meeting topics were "stored energy" and "driving safely in the winter" The stored energy video was about stacking things too highly and the energy stored when a pallet of junk falls on your head, dont go into silos...cause the feed can swallow you up....From that I think I got that I should never shop at Lowes again...cause they stack their junk too high and could fall on my head. Driving safely in the winter(all stuff my pops taught me when he taught me to drive on the road, and I use everyday...common sense stuff that if you dont know you shouldnt be driving in the winter in these PA hills anyway) At the end of the meeting I complained about having to beg for tires when you need them, and fe showing us a video about pumping brakes, slowing down, leaving more distance between vehicles, etc seemed ridiculous if we dont have our first line of defense.....good rubber on the vehicles. At that time the mechanic spoke up and said fe lowered the tire standards to state minimum(2/32). So Pres. Lincoln, when I stick your copper/zinc portrait in the tread of my tire, if I can see your whole head, I am safe to drive on some of the hilliest, iciest, curvy snow covered road in PA, fe says so.

So what I get out of fe's safety program is work safe, above all else.........unless it is going to cost fe money. Yeah....I had a warm fuzzy feeling about their concern for my safety. NOT
    Well ya see EL, if ya had new tires then ya might be too overconfident and you could possibly drive a little too fast and that would be dangerous. If ya know yer tires are bad, then you'll drive slower and in turn, safer. LMFAO !! Plus, just like the rubber goods(blankets,hoses, gloves and sleeves) being tested less and less because THAT costs money. Now why should we go above and beyond OSHA rules like we always have? If it's good enough for OSHA it's good enough for FE. Just like the tires. If it's good enough for PA, it's good enough for FE. Them things cost money ya know !!!!

Default Loose

I was told....well ya know....Ohio lost over half of their revenue with the economy we have to save money every way we can.....to which I replied.....
    You can make me beg for meters, beg for tools, but I spend 6 or seven hours a day, 5 days a week in that truck, my life is riding on those tires......and I will NOT beg for tires.

It was kinda funny, I bitched to a couple of higher ups, you know me....always running my mouth in such a nice, conservative way, and my tires will be at Sherwood's tomorrow. Equinunk.........here I come.

2/32s my a$$! Obviously the person that made that decision has never been to Cooley Woods.

Little does fe know......I took their words to heart......I am making "SAFETY A WAY OF LIFE." not part time, when it suits them....but ALL THE TIME.
    Last edited by electriklady; 01-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.

If they were that concerned about safety you'ld think they'ld at least have someone from facilities have the parking lot clear of ice and snow. What would that cost? a couple hundred dollars a week? I dread the PA hills in the winter. Nothings worse than that sick, white knuckle feeling ya get when you start to slide. A couple new tires is a lot cheaper than a new truck and a lost time accident.

Default Topgroove

When I was done bitchin about the tires I went directly into bitching about the condition of the parking lot. We will see where that goes.

Default safety

that a girl EL !!!! Right from Tony A's mouth. "ALWAYS put safety before productivity" and right from Jim N's mouth " If it can't be done safe, DON'T do it". The thing they neglected to say was " We are totally committed to safety, as long as our budgets allow ".

In new jersey its 2/32nds for the rear tires but the front tires are 4/32nds. (thats 1/16th and 1/8th for those of you are gifted with intelligence) So i would check your laws and u might just win the fight.

Friday, line foreman announced the minimum tire tread depth mysteriously rose to 5/32 if a person is complaining about having problems with the tires........

hehehe

ps....Consumer Reports considers 2/32 to be a "bald tire."
    Last edited by electriklady; 01-09-2010 at 01:49 PM.

anyone who does alot of winter driving knows 5/32 is about the minimum tread depth. I'm sure you could get away with less in warmer states but here in the Northeast its just too damn scary for crappy tires. In my personal vehical I wouldn't even think of going the winter with anything less. Almost every night we have a broken pole MVA and at least one or two driving related fatalities a week on the evening news.

Featured Sponsorr

our big safety topic today was safe snow shovelling. Heres how i shovel. Start the quad, oush side to side. If i havw to do it at work: Start the backhoe, let it warm up, get a cup of coffee, then make huge piles that wont melt until July. Then get another cup of coffee.