Thread: Knots

1. Question Knots

Featured Sponsor

What knots do you need to know as a lineman. Can't practice without knowing the names, Thanks.

Look up "animated knots by grog" on the net,,,,,E.S.

Learn as many as you can......

I can't stand to hear someone say,"if you can't tie a knot, tie it a lot".

I know I'll be cutting that one out with my knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    What knots do you need to know as a lineman. Can't practice without knowing the names, Thanks.

Knots

Bowline

Square

Clove Hitch

Bowline on a Bight

Sheet bend

Eye Splice...Crown (dog turd)....short splice....long splice

Lineman's Knot ( Alpine Butterfly)

Sheep Shank

Timber Hitch ( My favorite)

Munter Hitch (burn knot)

Half Hitch

Grape Vine
    Last edited by Highplains Drifter; 01-16-2010 at 10:13 PM.

5. Default

Also maybe a running bowline and a double bowline.

The bowline, munter and hitches will be your best friends. I was one of those people that couldn't get the hang of it through animated knots (although it's great) or my lineman bible. Once I had someone show me, it was a piece of cake.

If you have problems, spend a day with a crew and when you get a minute see if they can help you out with the knots. They might let you run a handline and practice rope management and storage for the handline and bull rope.

Brad

6. Default Thanks

Drifter and Brad that is just what I needed. Checked out the animated knots awhile back but didn't know which I needed. The bowline has been one of my favorite knots for a long time now I will have to learn some more.

Start with your core knots & know what they are for & make sure you can almost tie them with your eyes closed. Like was said earlier the bowline, square knot, clove hitch, linemans loop, a god pulling hitch & a good knot that can be untied under tension (3 round turns with a half hitch). After that depending on where you are working you will likely learn a few others but you will find that you will use what ever turns out to be your core knots 90% of the time.

The only knots I ever use are bowline, bowline in a bight, clove hitch, half hitch, square knot.

Learn how to make an eye splice.

Draggin' bowline maybe

Default Knots

One knot that I started using at work is the taut line hitch, great for securing transformers and other material when you have the room. It is easy to tie, tighten and loosen.
    "Who Me ?"

Featured Sponsorr

A Will Knot........will not hold