Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Confederate Flag a.k.a. Rebel Flag

Featured Sponsor

Lets talk Civil War here. Any CW buffs here?? What do you think when you see that flag?

To me it was the sacrifice my Grandfathers paid their life for (and other family members) to rise against someone like their Grandfathers did during the Revolutionary War.

To me if anyone uses this flag as the "flag of the KKK" it pisses me off. I cant help that the KKK took up that flag. I cant help they have hate. That flag is just as important to me as the American Flag.

My 3rd Great Grandfather died on Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga Tennessee with 2 girls at home, I've had a cousin die in the Elmira New York Prison Camp and another (his brother) at the Point Lookout Prison Camp in Maryland.

I just hate when someone sees the Confederate Flag that they automatically think "racist". It was a battle flag started by Beauregard and turned into the Flag of the Confederacy.

I also hate Andrew Jackson who turned his back on the Upper Creeks then MURDERED the Lower Creeks at Horseshoe Bend Alabama during the Creek Wars. My Cherokee and Creek Indian blood gave up over 32 million acres of land over Alabama and Georgia.

Any thoughts anyone? Just getting things going..

The flag doesnt offend me at all! I'm with you WCLR because I too have family that died fighting for that flag! I never had understood why people do not educate themselves on what the flag stood and still stands for! Seems like people see the confederate flag and think hatred or prejudice! If that was that case why did so many blacks fight and die for the confederate flag? People think slavery was the big issue and to some degree it was a big issue.....the union had slavery as well at that time...they just called it INDUSTRY!

Default The Southern Cross

It means different things to different people mostly according to where they were raised.The majority of Americans that have family history rooted in the South look at it as a symbol of pride and family heritage. The majority that have their family history rooted in the North feel it serves as a reminder of the worst period of time in our nations history. Americans fighting Americans with over 600,000 killed and thousands more horribly maimed. Then of course you have Americans that view it has a sign of racism mostly because of what was said earlier regarding the KKK. I find the timing of this post interesting because of an incident that occurred at a jobsite close to where I work. Two men got into an altercation over the wearing of a necklace and the display of a license plate holder both of which had the Southern Cross. You probably guessed it, one was white and the other black and unfortunately both lost their jobs. It is an issue that will always be argued in this country. Personally I don't believe it should ever be outlawed and I do believe at least 3 states still fly it as part of their flags. Living where I live though it helps me identify one thing-REDNECKS!
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

i say we workers go back to the flag that said "don't tread on me" thats the one that gets my support. as far as the others go, don't see why it has to be a big issue. both are a part of our great AMERICAN heritage. both brought us to where we are now, and now more than ever we have to pull together.

AMEN knot!!!

WCLR, I can only assume you are talking about the war for Southern independence! I think it is important for people in our society to learn the true facts of that war and how impoverished the south has been ever since. Then perhaps the north will understand why many southerners have such contempt for them. There is a interesting book out there titled "The South Was Right!" One hell of a read. Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by lando View Post
    WCLR, I can only assume you are talking about the war for Southern independence! I think it is important for people in our society to learn the true facts of that war and how impoverished the south has been ever since. Then perhaps the north will understand why many southerners have such contempt for them. There is a interesting book out there titled "The South Was Right!" One hell of a read. Enjoy it!
    The reason the south holds their contempt is because they lost. The union lost many of it's men and they also lost their slaves. They hold no contempt.

It's really sad to think that this is still a viable hold on hatred to your own countrymen. I realize that many families lost their loved ones for something they believed strongly in, but do you really believe that when someone from NY or New Hampshire travel south, they are thinking about how their great grandfather kicked your butts?

I have had this "contempt" displayed to me several times visiting states south of the mason/ dixon. And unfortunately my laughter at them only worsened the situation. It was not meant to be a slap in the face laugh, only a " are you serious" expression. Oh well, I still enjoyed my visits to the mountains of NC and West Virginia. Didn't care soo much for Georgia... too hot.

So are you saying the south collectively is psychologically scarred and has a sense of inferiority compared to Northerners stemming from being on the losing end?
    Last edited by returntotheeve; 02-07-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: i love editing.

Quote Originally Posted by returntotheeve View Post
    So are you saying the south collectively is psychologically scarred and has a sense of inferiority compared to Northerners stemming from being on the losing end?
    NOPE. I'm saying that it is sad that they hold contempt for me, for something I had nothing to do with ( nor did they ) other than the fact I chose to reside in NY.

I never asked my sister if she feels that way towards me, she has lived in the south for several decades. hmmm I wonder if it is viral.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    NOPE. I'm saying that it is sad that they hold contempt for me, for something I had nothing to do with ( nor did they ) other than the fact I chose to reside in NY.

I never asked my sister if she feels that way towards me, she has lived in the south for several decades. hmmm I wonder if it is viral.
    I've heard it over and over again that southerners hold that contempt. I've never witnessed it myself, the few times I've been in the south I haven't been in the true south.

But you've witnessed a bias towards you that you didn't have towards them and its was only because you're from the North?