Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Slang terms for in-line bells

Featured Sponsor

This is a stupid ? I know. What are some of the slang terms used in this country or elsewhere for these in line bells? You know the bells/insulators that are put in the middle of a line when a step down tranformer is installed to separate the voltages, when a loadbreak is put in and its easier and safer to put the bells in than to dead end both sides, or when they wanna put a dead section in the line to use the that dead section like a pole to pole guy..

Anyhow...what do you guys call em? I've heard of them called:

Disc-in-strain
    idler bells (like sitting there idle i guess?)
    in-line bells..

C'mon guys I know that theres gotta be a bunch more, so lets hear em!! thanx

Johnny Balls

flying bells

set of "JD'S"

Also call em johnny balls here. does the exact same thing as a guy strain insulator only with more porcelin involved.

Default Line Slang

Don't ask me to explain where it came from but in-line insulators are commonly referred to as "Blivet's."
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

I have heard of idlers and floaters.
    National Grid = Retired! US Army vet. 68 - 70
    As of April of 2010 I quit smoking! It's been hard but so far no butts! I am now an X smoker!

bells, poly's, or slackers

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by freshjive View Post
    This is a stupid ? I know. What are some of the slang terms used in this country or elsewhere for these in line bells? You know the bells/insulators that are put in the middle of a line when a step down tranformer is installed to separate the voltages, when a loadbreak is put in and its easier and safer to put the bells in than to dead end both sides, or when they wanna put a dead section in the line to use the that dead section like a pole to pole guy..

Anyhow...what do you guys call em? I've heard of them called:

Disc-in-strain
    idler bells (like sitting there idle i guess?)
    in-line bells..

C'mon guys I know that theres gotta be a bunch more, so lets hear em!! thanx

we call them epoxys

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Really?

I always called Johnny Balls the insulator they use to put in a guy wire.
    Guess it's just a difference in where and who you have worked around, on another note we used to have a lot of them in open wire secondaries, some would be 1 deadend bell some would be what you are describing that used to be used on down guys and the worst were a round fiberglass rod similar to modern guy breakers but only about a 1' long that you had to look real hard to see at night in the alleys, looking back I'd have to say they ought to have been called death traps.