Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Hoses

1. Default Hydraulic Hoses

Featured Sponsor

I have a question or two about hydraulic hoses. First if they show signs of wear or possible burn marks. Shouldn't they be changed out? Second during an OSHA 10 hour I heard the instructor mention that the hoses needed to be cover with some sort of sheath? If anyone has any insight on this I am open for some opinions.

we have had the same issue and yes, signs of wear/burns means they should deffinately be changed out. and we had the same OSHA class where they talked about lines being wrapped in what looks like fiberglass cloth to prevent a single hose from being caught on something and being torn off and also to prevent hydraulic oil from spraying a fine mist that could be flammable. after which we turned in a number of trucks to be repaired (have them wrapped) and company pitched a bitch. the same company that insisted we take the class now doesn't want to act on what we learned. if you look new bucket trucks and we have gotten quite a few over the last 3 years or so do come from the factory with all hoses around bucket area wrapped completely toghether. our linemen feel after a bucket goes in for work on hoses they should be wrapped the way they were from the factory. so far we haven't got much satisfaction on this issue. by the way we had a guy from parr give OSHA class, by far the best and most imformative safety class this company has put out in 10 years.

3. Default

Thanks Knot!!

Default Who is he

Quote Originally Posted by knotskeart View Post
    . by the way we had a guy from parr give OSHA class, by far the best and most imformative safety class this company has put out in 10 years.
    Got a Name? good the hear,

5. Default

we had a lineman get injected with hydraulic fluid when the hose burst while making a underground splice. we now use a cover over the hose.

i can find out the guys name that gave the class maybe a contact # also. give me a day or two.

hey bute yer a real beuwwwwttteeee

8. Angry

Thanks Knot it's a full time gig trying to be me

with o/t? maybe like 7-24's?

10. Default hydraulic hoses

Featured Sponsorr

Anytime a steel braided hydraulic hose has ANY defect in the rubber outer cover it needs to be replaced because water will enter and rust the reinforcement braid and then the hose will fail under pressure.
    If it's an insulated hose (fiber reinforcement), then any burn mark will be a point of future failure.
    Covering the hoses with a sheath is usually a good idea because it prevents damage from abrasion, but I guess that it would also help prevent hydraulic oil from spraying.