Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: somerset,ky

1. Default somerset,ky

Featured Sponsor

anybody on here been through the somerset community college lineman school. I was looking into it and wanted to know if anyone had went through it and if it was worth the time and money. Thanks.

Southern Indiana is home. But I work all over.

Well according to their commercial they will make you a lineman by the time you graduate.. But the only place that school will give ya any credit with is Pike.. They (Pike) will be standing at the door on graduation day and offer you the world along with a job with their company.. If you go that route which is silly in my own opinion buy a ton of life insurance.

The reason I think it is silly is because why would you pay to learn when you can goto the IBEW and get paid to learn and while you learn you will have good benifets better pay and learn from the best.

Goto the hall and get on the books as a groundman and work your way to an apprenticeship. ALBAT is where you wanna go..

3. Default

there are no openings for albat around here anywhere. what about openings for groundsmen. i don't know much about this, what if i pay to go to the school and then get into albat. wouldn't that help me out if i do get into albat? i don't know, i'm trying to get all the info on how to get into this career. i need all the help i can get. thanks a lot.

Ok ok.. Im bout to pull a Swamprat... Rate, rank, location?? lol I cant help ya if I dont know where your at.. Your askin bout a school in Kentucky and my local covers almost all of kentucky..

5. Default

i live in london, ky about 35 mile east of somerset. thanks.

From what I've heard ALBAT is like a 2 year wait... don't know if that's true or not.

When I was at SLTC people from SELCAT came in and talked to us... you could get 6 months credit with SELCAT and start off as a step 2 apprentice... I've seen the video from Somerset and it's just a pike advertisement.

Personally the only big names for lineschools is SLTC or NLC, now I'm seeing little guys coming out with a school in every town from here to china.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 03-03-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Well Rakatak... Id suggest calling some halls out west or checking on here to see where the works jumpin and pack your bags and sign the books as a groundman. ALBAT like RC said isnt acepting applications at the time.. And work is slow for us at 369.. We cover most of the state and dont have much in the near future except some transmission but thats a while off from starting..

Try CAL/NAV or SELCAT.. Better pay out west and you should be able to get your start.. Good luck..

8. Default

Thanks Guys,
    I'm 36 and have a wife and 2 kids so just packing up and heading out west is out of the question. if i were a younger man and didn't have a family then i would done be out there. i've got a job here as a water treatment plant operator and i work weekend nights and the somerset school is monday thru thursday so it would work out right. I'm just gonna have to weigh my options and go from there. I will definitely keep an eye on the albat thing though. I appreciate your help guys.

It's hard to just sit and wait for jatc to pick you when there is a million other guys doing the same. It's a lot more proactive to jump on it and go to a line school.

Featured Sponsorr

Yeah you can sit there and wait.. Or you could goto the hall sign the books as a groundman and get to work until ALBAT starts taking apes again meanwhile you make money and gain experience you wont in a school..

Plus the schools and colleges you have to pay to goto.. ALBAT you are paid while your learning.. (note that actual class which is once a month is not paid. but you are working)