Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Questions for the guys that Barehand

Featured Sponsor

We are in the process of creating a barehand program and I am looking for any info that you guys would care to share. We are looking to do everything from changing dampners, to DE bells, to Helicopter spacer changes. Info such as the following would be great...

What is your companys safety record with barehanding
    How long have you, or your company, been doing the work
    How often is the retraining
    How often do you do the work
    How was your variance obtained
    Any tricks you might know
    Is the program taught in house, or does someone from outside put on a class
    Do you have a preference in Farday suits
    Preference in conductive boots
    Is it journeyman only, or do Apps participate
    What type of trucks do you use
    Do you also do helicopter barehanding
    Where are you located (East Coast, West Coast)
    Any Pics, especially of rigging, or how you rig or tag ladders, jack sticks, booms, cradles etc. would be awesome

Thanks in advance for any info. I think this is great interesting work and I know there is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

We only work up to 44kv, so I can only tell you what we do on this voltage. Only journeyman & the work is very limited we only cut in or sleeve out switches. there is not the clearances to install deadends. If you are going to start barehanding you should hire a good trainer to come in house & do some jobs at your site. All of our barehand buckets are bonded from the manufacter for barehand work, not all bucket trucks have everything bonded at the buckets. All of our barehand trucks are also dielectrically tested every 6 months, & we always do a metered current leakage test prior to commencement of the job, also the bonding leads & clamps & grids are only used to keep the end of the boom at line potential & ther length should not be longer than the depth of your bucket. We have been doing this work before I started & I have been here over 20 years & we have had no problems. The work comes in spurts. The largest cover up we have is rated at 46 kv so we can not rely on it for brush contact on other energized conductors we must maintain our clearances. This is just covering some of the real basic stuff, the main things are to maintain your clearance & use proper jumpers that we install with sticks before we bond on & you have to have a dedicated observer who has no other duties. It is the best way to work live, but for us the work is very limited.

Ummmmmm dont wear yer watch while yer werkin or it will quit werkin. Umm n yer cell fone mite not fare too well either.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    We only work up to 44kv, so I can only tell you what we do on this voltage. Only journeyman & the work is very limited we only cut in or sleeve out switches. there is not the clearances to install deadends. If you are going to start barehanding you should hire a good trainer to come in house & do some jobs at your site. All of our barehand buckets are bonded from the manufacter for barehand work, not all bucket trucks have everything bonded at the buckets. All of our barehand trucks are also dielectrically tested every 6 months, & we always do a metered current leakage test prior to commencement of the job, also the bonding leads & clamps & grids are only used to keep the end of the boom at line potential & ther length should not be longer than the depth of your bucket. We have been doing this work before I started & I have been here over 20 years & we have had no problems. The work comes in spurts. The largest cover up we have is rated at 46 kv so we can not rely on it for brush contact on other energized conductors we must maintain our clearances. This is just covering some of the real basic stuff, the main things are to maintain your clearance & use proper jumpers that we install with sticks before we bond on & you have to have a dedicated observer who has no other duties. It is the best way to work live, but for us the work is very limited.
    Thanks for the info. All great stuff.

Default Barehand.

Call A. B. Chance.

PM that Barehander guy. I think he's a foreman or such on a barehand crew.

Worked on a barehand crew once. I thought it was kinda simple. I expect OSHA has probably goobered it up by now.

I've seen some people who thought it was kinda elite. I thought just rubber gloving distribution was tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmmm dont wear yer watch while yer werkin or it will quit werkin. Umm n yer cell fone mite not fare too well either.
    Not too sure about a watch, but I've had my cell phone in my pocket for hours at a time many times with no problems.

Now I do know that you want to leave your credit cards in your lunch box.

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post
    Call A. B. Chance.

PM that Barehander guy. I think he's a foreman or such on a barehand crew.

Worked on a barehand crew once. I thought it was kinda simple. I expect OSHA has probably goobered it up by now.

I've seen some people who thought it was kinda elite. I thought just rubber gloving distribution was tougher.
    Chance does put on a good class. I have been through a few of their 500 hotstick classes, and one of Ray Kepplers 500 barehand classes. Learned alot in all of them.

I am just looking to get as much info as i can, as we have a presentation to put on for the higher ups.

Thanks again for the help.

Default Keppler.

Been to a bunch of stuff with that guy. Bet he's retired by now. Did he break out that Central American climbing gear and let you try climbing with it? Bet OSHA would love that stuff. He's been to a lot of countries with Chance. I remember he said in France they never let the hot line rope touch the ground. Said the groundman had a big can that he coiled it up in such a way that it never touched earth.

He can tell some good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post
    Been to a bunch of stuff with that guy. Bet he's retired by now. Did he break out that Central American climbing gear and let you try climbing with it? Bet OSHA would love that stuff. He's been to a lot of countries with Chance. I remember he said in France they never let the hot line rope touch the ground. Said the groundman had a big can that he coiled it up in such a way that it never touched earth.

He can tell some good stories.

Yeah, Ray can tell some good stories. I never saw any climbing gear, but I am sure it was interesting. When we hotsticked the 500, we used to coil our handline in and out of a rubbermaid trashcan. It actually worked pretty well.

The last class I had with Ray, he was retired and had his own company. That was a barehand class at NVEnergy in Las Vegas.

Featured Sponsorr

You are right, Ray did retire about 4 years ago. He and I have worked together since he started with CHANCE in about 1973 or so. He was a Product Demonstrator and I work in HLT Product Engineering. Hope I can retire in a couple more years.

Ray traveled all over the world and has pulled his trailer more than a million miles (documented) for us.

He did some consulting work but the economy caught up with him I think.

He still lives here in Centralia and has built a "summer home" a few miles north of here near Mark Twain Lake. Spends most of his time doing wood work and fishing (lying?). I talked with him yesterday and we was cutting firewood. Must be nice.

We have two great demonstrators on the road now that are every bit as good, and we are looking for another.

Work Safe!!