Default Look, don't just listen for the 'CLICK'

Featured Sponsor

Got this info Second hand, so if anybody else has got Details..........Post em!!

The Buck Squeeze..........

Heard that an Apprentice at the Gaff-n-Go rodeo in Virginia this past weekend took about a 20 foot fall!!! Don't know how bad he was hurt, but this is what I heard happened............

Heard he was going over an Obstruction, took his Secondary Safety, above the obstruction, then took the Buck Squeeze lose, to climb up, but the other end of his Secondary (rope) Safety wasn't snapped in the 'D ring', and when he leaned back, he went all the way to the ground!

Been taught since DAY ONE.........ALWAYS LOOK TO BE SURE YOUR SAFETY IS LOCKED IN THE 'D RING'........NEVER LISTEN FOR THE CLICK AND ASSUME IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know if he looked or didn't, but sounds like he didn't look!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

This did indeed happen Saturday at Gaff-N-Go. Justin Bettis, the young man from NOVAC--if I remember correctly--is doing well at the moment. The last I heard was that he possibly had a broken rib or two and a concussion. They were all so going to do an MRI to check his shoulder and for the possibility of and internal injuries.

I was going to post this in the Rodeo forum, however Mr.Trbl639 this is a much better place for this information.

Rodeo's can be good things--they can push us as lineman to greater skills as well of a greater sense of safety--however sometimes when racing the clock things can happen. This event can cause us all to think of our actions and learn from them. Hopefully, we will.

Here's to the young man in question: get well soon!

L.A. Martin
    Journeyman CVEC
    Last edited by LAMartin.CVEC; 04-14-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: name correction
    There's no such thing as "The End Of The Line!"

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

Mr Martin.............

No need to call me Mr.........I'm old but not that old!!!!

Thanks for the info on the young man......Glad he is gonna be ok!! Was wondering myself, if possibly speed and inattention to detail is what caused this to happen. I admit myself, that rodeo's are a good thing, as they allow us to showcase our talent...........never been much for snatchin, grabin, and rockin and rollin myself,...just slow and steady, and doing it right the first time!! But know some hands that rodeo, and work everyday, and I can't hang with em,.......as far as speed!! But hell, I'm retired, old, wore out and broke down!!!!

Smile Polecat

I am like Trbl639 retired and old, also never believed being fast was as important as working safe and doing the job right the first time. I don't have much experience with the Buck-Squeeze,only used it once in a training session just before I retired. I made the statement then that with so many straps I could see somebody getting screwed up and falling.I am glad I retired,was a Troubleman,so when I was working I didn't use it. Glad to hear he will be Ok!
    Last edited by jerry; 04-13-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Grumpy

I pray this lad is OK and recovering to 100%
    I'll retire very soon and never had to use the squeeze either. I've watched plenty new dudes use and train to use it and not being sure the snap is in the D ring is something we have done from day one with any belt. I think the squeeze is a tough pill to swallow. glad I never had to use it, but this is not the cause of that accident. Like already said Rodeos are a show case of talent but I agree with both of you "oldtimers" Ya gotta get there and get it done but ya don't have to be fast doing it.

Was forced into the BuckSqueeze on April 1, 2008...........right before I had to demonstrate that I could use it, I Free climbed my last pole on the property..............maybe used it a dozen times before I retired on Feb 1, 2009....Troublemen didn't climb too much

Glad to know the kid is ok. This is a rodeos worst nightmare. Hell this is everyones worst nightmare. Glad to hear things are looking up for the kid.

Update

We had a safety committee meeting today,which I am part of, and I discussed the accident with the gentleman that was Justin's judge on Saturday.

The news currently is that there are no broken ribs, however the young man did "bruise" his lung in the fall. All that being said, he seems to be recovering well.

work safely,

L.A. Martin
    Journeyman CVEC

If you think you are worth what you know, you are very wrong. Your knowledge today does not have much value beyond a couple of years. Your value is what you can learn and how easily you can adapt to the changes this profession brings so often. -- Jose M. Aguilar

Featured Sponsorr

Last Update

We had our monthly corporate safety meeting today in Division III and the news we got about Justin was very good.

The young man actually returned to work on Tuesday of this week and is doing well.

This is a testimony to the tenacity of Linemen every where; well done Justin and may you continue to strive for excellence.

work safely,

L.A. Martin
    Journeyman CVEC