Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Journey of Stubs

Featured Sponsor

I have decided to log my life changing career decision in a thread for others inspiring or thinking of doing the same. I figure that with this others can see what I have done so far and maybe others will give a bit of insight or help with my path.

To begin with, I have been saving as much money as I possible can for the last 1 1/2 to 2 years to have a cushion to lay on if my boss decides to not re-hire me after I take 10 weeks off to go to Volta school http://www.nwlinejatc.com/templates/template4/?page=7

I found out about the class taking more applicants again (had been full for a few class sessions) on Dec 1st 2009. I then took a half day off to go and register. The first class was already full at 2:00 pm (50 people max) and I was bumped to the next class (July 12th-Sept 17th)

My math skills were low (13 years in a job that doesn't require it means if you dont use it you lose it) So I began taking night classes at the local community college. I started back at the bottom (math 20) and have been working my way up the ladder. My math 60 class is almost over (6-9-10) and I will go on to math 65 in the fall term after Volta class. I have heard of a Electrical Theory class (111 or 101?) at one of the campuses and will look into it after my 65 class.

I have stopped to talk to as many people in the trade as possible and always take notes. Many different people with many different suggestions, some good some bad. One thing that they all say though is "Good Luck".

The best info I have gotten though is from the appointments that I have set with Co-Op and Investment Utility general formans.

I spoke numerous to the dispatcher at the local 125 about many different things. I put my name on the books (#4 general laborer) on 10-20-09. I have not received a call yet (as of 5-23-10) but continue to re-up my name every month. Last I recall I was #47 in line.

I bought The Lineman's and Cableman's Handbook (11th edition) http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ndbook&x=0&y=0 and have began to read it through.

I was told of a good website for knots http://www.animatedknots.com/ and have learned the Bowline, Bowline on a bite, One handed Bowline, Linemans knot (Alpine Butterfly), Figure 8, and the Square knot so far.

I have been exercising 5 days a week (push-ups, sit-ups, squats) and running a mile every morning before work for the last 2 months.
    Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-23-2010 at 10:36 PM.

Default Climbing log

Bought my climbing gear for the Volta class and decided to get some time under my belt (pun intended).

My great uncle who is retired out of PGE http://www.portlandgeneral.com/default.aspx gave me some pointers on climbing yesterday. I think that I like this.....

5-22-10 1 hr pole time

5-23-10 1 hr pole time (have red marks now on the insides of my shins and on the palms of my hands, new unknown muscles in legs are sore, and realize that I need to get a LOT of practice in before class starts)

5-29-10 1.5 hrs pole time. Worked on full body rotation (back to pole) at a 2' foot hight. Also worked on free climb and decent up to 7' (foot hight) At a hr and 15 min I gaffed out around 6' while working on my free climb decent. Checked for splinters and got back on the horse for 15 more before stopping.

5-30-10 1 hr pole time Worked on full body rotation along with climb and descend with belt. Found out that the Buck Squeeze is used at Volta class so I will keep the free climb practice to a minimum.

6-5-10 1.5 hr pole time. Had a pair of young bucks in velvet walk up to me (no closer than 20') while I was spun around on the pole (my back to it) four foot up.

6-13-10 1 hr pole time. Spent most of the time breaking in my pole strap (adjusting it on the pole) and setting out a stick on the ground at 7' and doing full extensions.

6-19-10 1 hr pole time.

6-23-10 .5 hr pole time

7-3-10 1 hr pole time Felt the most comfortable then I ever have today. Began to mimic two handed work ethics while rotated in the belt (cant keep one hand on the belt forever right?). The close tree limbs gave me the practice tools.

7-4-10 1 hr pole time Happy 4th of July!
    Last edited by Mr Stubs; 07-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Make sure in your interview you spell "college" correctly! (So I began taking night classes at the local community collage). Just busting your balls man I am a horrible speller myself. But there is such a thing as over enthusiastic, do not ramble on to people how you did this and you did that to get in its just not looked upon well, you will be labeled a tool. Just do the things you need to do don't be a kiss ass, and the word brotherhood means more then you will know. (don't rat on people, or make them look bad) Its a fine line from doing your best and making people look bad. Remember you don't have to be the fastest Zebra running from the lion just not the slowest.

Quote Originally Posted by yager024 View Post
    Just do the things you need to do don't be a kiss ass, and the word brotherhood means more then you will know. (don't rat on people, or make them look bad)
    This explains the answer that I was corrected on when I was asked "What do you do if you see someone stealing from a company truck".

So I have been presented with some insite from one of the GL's that I talked to. He said that I will need to know "what a Linemen does" as it is a interview Q.

Is it safe to say that this is a good description of a Lineman's' job?

A person who builds, manages, and repairs electrical power transmission and distribution.
    Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-25-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Default what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
    This explains the answer that I was corrected on when I was asked "What do you do if you see someone stealing from a company truck".

So....... what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by pre_apprentice_ID View Post
    So....... what do you do?
    Use problem solving skills.

Confront the person first in a neutral manner, ask them questions about what they are doing. Have them put the item back if they are stealing it and let them know that you will not tell the "next up" about this mishap.

The key here is to handle the situation like a leader and to remember that the person is on YOUR team. You cant forget the "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" saying though.

Also a very important thing in this Q is...... Is this person really stealing something, or does it just look like it?

Went in today for my Math 60 final. After the final I asked about how long it would be before grades are posted. Teach said that I had a 98.4 before the final and I would have to get under 50% on my final to drop my grade to a B.

Going to begin review of my CDL stuff. I have decided to get my tanker class added to the license before I take the drive test at Volta.

Passed my tanker endorsement test this morning and went to to the Volta class orientation. Spent two hours after the class talking with Don Jamison the instructor.

Definitely cleared up many different questions that I have had about the trade, well worth the time spent....

Featured Sponsorr

Well, tomorrow is the big first day of class.

My wife and son got me a cake to send me off.

Found a place to accommodate me for 30 days at a better rate then shown on their web site. Cost me half as much as any of the others that I looked at. Looked at the room yesterday and found it to be sufficient. It has a small fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and utensils. Much better than a hotel IMOP, I can save money by cooking for myself instead of eating out.

http://www.custerhouse.com/

Also bought this book as a study guide for knots http://www.klutz.com/how-to/The-Klut...ults%20Listing It was suggested by Don, one of the class instructors. It has almost all of the knots that will be taught in the class.