Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Red face Death Penalty?????

Featured Sponsor

Angus Reid Global Monitor) - Most people in the United States, Britain and Canada support relying on the death penalty for homicide convictions, according to a poll by Angus Reid Public Opinion. 84 per cent of respondents in the U.S., 67 per cent in Britain, and 62 per cent in Canada share this view.

A majority of Canadians have consistently supported the Death Penalty. In Alberta, which has the highest percentage of REAL PEOPLE, support runs about equal with that of the US. There are a few reasons that the crime rate in Canada is lower than the US and everyone is going 'to skate around that one'!!
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Wink Polls are the Polls!!

I think the question was "Do you support the Death Penalty for Homicide?" Pretty straight forward. It was taken in Jan 2010. Angus Reid is a highly respected in the polling business.

If you work on a Line Crew ask the same question, I'm pretty sure that you will get the same result.

I have some reservations about it, but like some people have been posting on here, I just don't see any way around it. Our incarceration/crime rate in Canada is so low that I quess it's easy for us to just lock these people up.

As far as the US is concerned, yes we do find humour among ourselves, sort of the way that you joke about the 'hay wire' relative. But in the end of the day, we know that our survival and continued prosperity is mutual.

The part that is frustrating is that they could learn some things from us. My Dad had a saying, "it's a poor man that you can't learn something from". I've always tried to keep that in mind.

Our form of Government is less open to corruption and crazyness and through time Canadians just have a calmer approach to things.

Finally I appreciate your candidness, but that's where you and I are quite different. I find people that have divergent views from myself to be very interesting. I like to sit down and talk with them to see where they are 'coming from' etc. That's what makes life ineresting. for me
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianLineman View Post
    I think I was pretty clear in that. Capital punishment is barbaric and not the type of thing a civilized population does to other people. Canada doesn’t practice Capital Punishment nor do 6 of the G-8 countries, Japan being the only other member that does and to a much lesser extent than the USA.

Also the USA incarcerates far more of its people than almost anyplace on earth depending upon whose statistics you chose, however even with statistics that show the USA is not the highest it certainly is highly competitive for 1st place. So when the USA ranks in the top 10 in the world for number of executions and is the highest for “jailing” people can you give me one reason why I shouldn’t consider the USA suspect of violating human rights????

Who else would consider a place like Guantanamo Bay where the USA has kept people prisoner for the better part of a decade without charges or trial and torture is the norm??

Are you comfortable with this kind of degradation of Human Rights???

What would I do to fix it you ask???? Afford people their Human Rights, Freedom and the Pursuit of Happiness. Or is that only colourful prose in the US Constitution reserved for a select few?
    When was the last time canada had three planes with extremist muslims at the wheels careen into 3 buildings and kill thousands of your citizens then crash a fourth into a frild illing those aboard?

They could sit in guantanamo bay and rot for all I care.

When was the last time you country was attacked by suicide bombers in airplanes, taking out a substantial part of your Navy, killing hundreds of soldiers and civilians?

How many current illegal aliens are residing in canada, raping and killing your citizens?

Comparing cananda to the United States of America is like comparing Massachusetts to Europe.

Besides that, Nobody really gives a shit about you anyways... the US tries to appease you so you don't raise the tax on your beer.

You aren't related to Bob and Doug are you?

Default Ridiculous Nonesense!!

About you and me sitting down calmly, I doubt that. I still remember your role at BC Hydro in Ft St. John. A lot of really good people took a hell of a shit kicking then, some never recovering.[/QUOTE]

Just where do you come up with such ridiculous nonsense?? I was not only the Foreman I was the Shop Steward by unanimous decision of the crew. I had probably the biggest retirement 'do' ever held here. On BC Hydro time and property !! I still meet with the guys on a regular basis and 'regal' the young ones with tales of yesteryear.

If you can't 'sit down calmly' and talk to someone normally that doesn't necessary share your exact viewpont, well???????

Where do you live and where do you work at??
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Default Bloody Canucks.

Two or three Canucks on this board and they're already at each other's throats. HolY Mother, will it never stop? Lewy where are you? Separate them buddy. The whole spacious North and not enough room for the two.

If nobody had showed at your "retirement do" would you have admitted it?

Like a bunch of Rabid dogs. Reminds me of Americans.

One guy I knew of showed at his little retirement do. He walked in with a little cassett recorder. Turned on Johnny Paycheck, "Take This Job and Shove It", turned and walked out the door and left them staring. My kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Your kidding, Right Beav? C-lick?
    Tell where he Lives and works?
    You KNOW better than that man!!
    Some one with that much pride you'd think would say where?

Cool That`s COOL!!

One guy I knew of showed at his little retirement do. He walked in with a little cassett recorder. Turned on Johnny Paycheck, "Take This Job and Shove It", turned and walked out the door and left them staring. My kind of guy.[/QUOTE]

Hey Door, that`s Cool. As much as I liked my job, I can`t say that the above didn`t go through my mind a couple of times in 30yrs.

I worked with only one `Okie` and that was with Harp Line Construction in 1973. His name was Blackie --------(can`t remember) and this guy was super Cool. He was a dust bowl survivor and he talked and worked real slow.
    He was a firm believer in `Big Foot`. He lived in a cabin up past Columbia Falls and he said he could hear the `Big Foot` hooting at night. Black bears hoot or make a sort of woofing sound, but old Blackie was sure it was the `Big Foot`. It`s working with those sort of characters that made Line Work so much fun!!

Oh Yea, there was a guy there from California that had a real good looking half breed Cherokee wife from OK
    MY WORK IS MY PLAY!!

Default Lecherous Canuck maybe?

Oh Yea, there was a guy there from California that had a real good looking half breed Cherokee wife from OK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only remember working around 2 Canucks. One named Gash. Got in trouble one time. He was a transmission inspector and being an old const. hand was good at sagging transmission wire. Union Power I believe it was, got him to do their sagging on a line he was inspecting. For this he would get a small "stipend". Once his "stipend" check was inadvertently sent to his inbox in Portland while he was in the Wyoming area. His boss discovered this check and it damn near cost him his job.

The other was our safety man for awhile. Don't remember his name. Seemed a good guy though. After seeing a lot of the McKenzie bros. etc. I was amused by some Canuck oil field hands we ran into. They actually did end their sentences with EH. Good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianLineman View Post
    How could I ever possibly become as informed as you about world affairs?
    You don't stand a chance... so why don't you STFU. Or at least try and stay within your bounds of expertise, ya know like ping-pong and snow ball construction.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    You don't stand a chance... so why don't you STFU. Or at least try and stay within your bounds of expertise, ya know like ping-pong and snow ball construction.
    he cant do either worth a $hit ask him about the tittie bars in Toronto and Montreal