Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Featured Sponsor

http://www.ibew1245.com/news-Outside...rt_8-20-10.pdf

Guess no one has seen this???

Send your feed back to your local!!! This is off 1245 site and it says to send comments to SAfety@1245.org

Or send em to safety@ibew.org
    Last edited by LINEHAND; 09-07-2010 at 01:42 AM.

2. Default Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    I firmly beleive free climbing is the best part of our trade. I also know the young men and women of today (not all) do not seem to be as skilled today in this part of our trade. I wonder if it has to do with the schools not having physical education classes so these kids have not developed good balance and strength? Only a thought?

So you believe that free climbing is the best part of linework. How shallow!
    I took great pride in all aspects of linework and when I look back, yes climbing was certainly one of them but in no way rated #1.
    It depends on what type of linework you were doing.
    Some take great pride in problem solving when the power is off, say after a storm and you are instrumental in restoring it.
    That's my #1.
    Others take great pride in building an overhead line nice and neat and straight. All of these things can be done from a manlift, so why would climbing rank higher that just being proficient.
    Working saely must be there somewhere. The list is too long to reference eveything.
    Just be happy your a well paid worker that will have your brain and body challenged every day.
    That doesn't speak to the fellowship, chances to teach newbies your skills and tons of other things.
    Free climbing? Get over it!
    The Old Lineman

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    I firmly beleive free climbing is the best part of our trade. I also know the young men and women of today (not all) do not seem to be as skilled today in this part of our trade. I wonder if it has to do with the schools not having physical education classes so these kids have not developed good balance and strength? Only a thought?
    I can personally say that SLTC will beat climbing in to you, mentally and physically. Last I knew they still teach free climbing...

My utility will allow you to free climb AFTER one completes gloving school...other then that your in a belt. That'll suck for the guys that have to wait for the full 2.5 - 3 years always been in a belt.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 09-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.

4. Default

When I went through climbing school several years ago, the school used a very similar training concept to the Saf-Lock system. Their lack of funding did not allow them to purchase the retractable lifelines used at most schools to teach free-climbing. Instead they tied a ½” rope to a ridge pin and installed a rope grab. (Notice the resemblance to the Saf-Lock) It was a true pain in the rear. You could simulate free climbing during the ascent; however descending meant dragging the rope grab with you while trying to climb. If you circled the pole you had to reverse your steps to prevent being wrapped to the pole by the rope. Using the rope as a lifeline requires a separate rope per climber. So if your buddy comes up to lend a hand you get to have 2 lifelines and a hand line hanging in your work zone.
    Now let’s give brief consideration to energized poles.
    How comfortable are you going to feel with a dirty wet rope dangling through the 3-phase jumpers and then attached to your back? Then imagine if you would cut-out and the tensioning of the rope pushes B into C. You get the idea.
    This system would be useless on a bare pole.
    It would also require you to judge your anchor point from the ground on older poles.
    Most guys I know are limited to 45’ working accuracy with an extendo. Do you move it up the pole if it is taller than a 45 footer.
    I am surprised to see someone trying to bring such an inconvenient system to market. I will give them credit for trying to stick with the free climb concept, but let’s be realistic if you are tethered to the pole it’s not free climbing.

As a trainer, I have been presented with every device on the market and some dreamed up in the corner of the shop during a rain day. I must say with a truly honest evaluation you will find the BuckSqueeze to be the best unit available. Some will disagree, but if you are not looking to defeat the product and actually use it for its intended purpose you will find it to be true.
    Just my thoughts

Call this guy at Buckingham B. Hall 607-765-1495
    He is an old Journeyman and can explain the device and even demo the unit.

Thumbs down

JUNK!

http://www.pseg.com/info/retiree/pdf...look_dec08.pdf

and MORE JUNK!

http://tdworld.com/overhead_distribu...es_ahead_1008/

TRASH TRASH TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THE PIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://ww3.powerlineman.com/lforum/s...ead.php?t=4337

....................(i'll wait for the BA to call now....HEY MIKE WTF R U POSTING!!!)...........SOmetimes the truth hurts!!!!
    -Mike

Smile

I started with Dominion Va Power almost 3 years ago and learned to free climb. About six months after that they went to the Bucksqueeze for our fall restraint. Didnt like it at first but since thats the only way you can climb now we really had to learn how to use it. it is a pain at first but you get used to it. I have some pics of me laying out in it as far as i can reach. ill try to post them in a little bit.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by hookorride View Post
    As a trainer, I have been presented with every device on the market and some dreamed up in the corner of the shop during a rain day. I must say with a truly honest evaluation you will find the BuckSqueeze to be the best unit available. Some will disagree, but if you are not looking to defeat the product and actually use it for its intended purpose you will find it to be true.
    Just my thoughts

Call this guy at Buckingham B. Hall 607-765-1495
    He is an old Journeyman and can explain the device and even demo the unit.
    I'm sick of this bitch.

I've met him. I worked one on one with him to learn the bucksqueeze because I had no choice at the time, but to use one. He did a damn good job explaining it, giving me pointers and such. No argument there.

Honestly it works, it does what it's supposed to do.

Let's think about this, I mean let's really think about it, you work for an REA out in rural areas, you might climb over a rinky dink telephone drop, no big deal, most of the time there might not even be anything on the pole.

Let's think about an urban setting where you have telephone, fiber, two different cable companies and even a 3 or 4" piece of conduit up the pole, hell maybe even 2 2" pieces of conduit. Let's not forget about ma-bell putting their freakin little staples for their drops all the way down the pole.

Do you see any videos out demonstrating that? No, you see maybe 1 obstacle, maybe you'll get lucky and see someone cross over a cross arm.

Works great on a bare pole, but not that latter.

Let's account for pole top rescue, not going to happen...your pole partner might as well forget about you coming up there. It's half ass stupid for a company to allow you in an "emergency" to free climb, but yet 99.99% the rest of your climbing is in a fall restraint.

It's pretty sad when you watch someone try to rescue the dummy on the pole having to get above him when your strapped in to that thing...do they show that on any of the videos?

Bucksqueeze is bad form, everytime you go to ascend you have to get your peter up next to the pole, when your taught free climbing your taught with your ass sticking out so that you can put your hard hat in between the pole and the front. Your taught this so you don't cut out. So now when in an emergency the free climber is likely to cut out because that's what they learned on.

Sure it has it's place but it's still not ready for prime time especially at what $500
    Last edited by rcdallas; 09-24-2010 at 11:53 PM.