Default Insulators... Questions about!

Featured Sponsor

Hello!

Name is Brian, I work in a factory that produces a type of insulator for power-line applications. All I know about the product is we make three sizes, two different materials, and they are called "Dead-End Insulators." They are made of a rubber-material over a FG rod with special hardware on the ends.

We also market a line of ceramic insulators.. many different styles.

I am not advertising... on the contrary I am trying to gather more information on insulators, what they do, what kind does what and stuff of that nature.

Are there any websites, text-books or other information sources out there that ya'll can recommended?

Thank you for your help!

Not having pictures available..........go to A B Chance and google insulators..................

The rubberized one you mentioned are used to dead end (stop) conductors or are used on angles............other types like post insulators are used on crossarms to support the conductor...........

all are used to prevent the electricity from going to ground...........
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Post Insulators

Afraid I can't recommend any one text book on insulators. However if you work at a production facility than maybe you can lay your hands on some of the technical bulletins put out by the manufacturer for engineers to pick the correct insulator. Basically insulators are picked by four criteria: (1) BIL basic insulation level, this is based on operating voltage and the company chosen safety margins. (2) mechanical loading, the size and tension of the wire and the direction the strain is applied. (3) mounting, size and type of mounting hardware this is related to the mechanical loading but includes other factors as well. (4) environmental conditions, this affects the material and shape the best design for a dry desert is not the best design for the coast with salt fog.
    One other idea, see if you can find a sales engineer from your company, most of them like to talk anyway.

Default Insulators

There are several IEEE standards regarding ceramic and non-ceramic insulators of all types. You should look into the IEEE Power & Energy Society Lightning and Insulator Subcommittee for the references you are looking for. Here is a start:

Lightning and Insulator Subcommittee

Scope: Treatment and investigation of lightning phenomena as they affect the operation and economics of overhead lines. Analysis of various means for preventing lightning outages in power systems. Design, application, and standards for all types of overhead line insulators including attachments to minimize arc damage and control of the electrostatic fields.

A. E. Schwalm, Chair
    Victor Insulators, Inc.
    280 Maple Avenue
    Victor, NY 14564
    E-mail: aschwalm@victorinsulators.com

Web Pages: www.ieee.org/pes-lightning | www.ieee.org/pes-insulators

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    One other idea, see if you can find a sales engineer from your company, most of them like to talk anyway.

Actually that lead me to here. I know all about our product now, and why we do what we do... but that just lead to me wanting to know MORE... and here I am.

The IEEE stuff looks promising. I'll take a look after lunch.
    Brian Richard
    Professional Rubber Squishing SOB

Quote Originally Posted by SBatts View Post
    First off welcome. We very seldom think about those, that produce the products that we use every day, and can't do our job without.
    The link below iss for NGK Worlds largest producers of porcelain and polymer insulators.
    Ahha! One of our rivals. We're smack between Lapp and Victor Insulator... yet we hang on making our niche-product.

The second link i one I use as a collector. It has links to reference books you might be interested in.

Insulator Collectors Page.

http://www.insulators.info/
    Thank you I'll check this out in detail after lunch as well.
    Brian Richard
    Professional Rubber Squishing SOB

Default Insulators

Another good source for information about insulators is the "Crown Jewels of the Wire" magazine. They have stories old and new and occasionaly provide history of various manufacturers and designs. As a collector myself for over 25 years, I look forward to my monthly subscription from them and they also have cool color pictures. I believe they have a website also.

born in raised in Ohio, Lineman on the road in California and wherever storms take me

Just some more basic info about the insulators in the trade. The dead end ones are designed to support a pulling force (that is why they have a fiberglass core). The other styles are designed to support a compression load (wire rest on top of the insulator).

I once saw a guy put a johny ball together backwards and try to pull the down guy up that way. It did not work very well for him...

Default Insulator science and failure analysis

Featured Sponsorr

Powertech Labratories in Surrey British Columbia Canada have failure and structural analysis information. Years of testing and destructive science. Contact them. Beware of nerds....