Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    if it was any of your business you would know

Default Line School Quiz for Swamprat-next question

Featured Sponsor

"What do the letters "X" "K" or "T" define in regards to fuse links commonly found in electric distribution systems?"

I thought it was the curve or speed that the fuse blew, to co-ordinate with different breaker settings, kinda like a KS blows really slow and most customers on the feeder see a breaker operation and a K fuse blows so fast that the breaker does'nt see it and all the customers on the feeder except the affected lateral or transformer customers are the only ones re-setting all their digital clocks, you learn something everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    I thought it was the curve or speed that the fuse blew, to co-ordinate with different breaker settings, kinda like a KS blows really slow and most customers on the feeder see a breaker operation and a K fuse blows so fast that the breaker does'nt see it and all the customers on the feeder except the affected lateral or transformer customers are the only ones re-setting all their digital clocks, you learn something everyday.
    sounds to me like swamp is pullin stuff outa his ass cuz im almost positive you are correct, just dont have the linemans bible to confirm that, as if known K is or kwik (fast) and T is Tardy (slow) and all fuse links fit all distribution cutouts whether they are 15kv cutouts or 25kv, cuz the wire on the fuse is 23" long........
    Hemingray Insulators
    work smart, go home every night

if it was any of your business you would know

Default Hemingray

How ya doin, kid?

Ummm yer correct the letter stands for the speed at which the fuse blows under fault. Its really important to try and use the same type you are trying to replace. Other wise co-ordination goes right in the crapper.
    We changed from type K's to type QR's and to properly co-ordinate them they needed to be 1.5 times bigger . than the Type K. So if I needed to replace a 100 amp kearney type K fuse I had to use a 150 amp type QR fuse. this insured that the QR fuse held for about the same amount of time as the type K would have. Unfortunately it didnt always co-ordinate with the upstream device and a fault would get them both causing un necessary outages.I dont ever recall using a type T in a cutout however I have used them in some over priced refinery type disconnects used on large transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    100 % correct... Has swampy ever gotten a single question right? I think we better dumb things down a bit,, is it copper on top or bottom sort a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    100 % correct... Has swampy ever gotten a single question right? I think we better dumb things down a bit,, is it copper on top or bottom sort a thing.
    um dont ya mean copper hook on your belt or not question?
    Hemingray Insulators

We used KS type for years and you could sub-fuse as much as 4 times without any problems in your fuse coordination, one KS fuse on a line that is K fused will blow the main line fuse everytime making your sub-fusing worthless, I used to keep a box of KS fuses on the truck to re-fuse the lateral fuse on the mainline with when I ran into the above situation and as soon as you would close it in you could start riding and find the open fuse door, kept you from walking every lateral, I would always take a jack jumper and change the mainline fuse back to a K to keep from having future problems. It can also get tricky co-ordinating E fuses ie underground fuses sometimes with overhead when sub-fusing.

Quote Originally Posted by climbsomemore View Post
    How ya doin, kid?
    ive been well, gettin kinda bored as of lately........ive mostly been on the big time jobs most of my apprenticeship and am now back at the contractor i stated my apprenticeship with on a job only workin 40 hours a week.......gets hard to find stuff to fill the 3 1/2 days off i have ever week now lol.........got my car i have out here paid off now and bought another one 2009 2dr GXP version with 35 miles on it for $19k put 5k down on it and am hopefully gonna pay it off by next fall or sooner........gettin some hotstick time in now thats some fun stuff..........and once my latest car is paid off im gonna look for some land and build a big show w/ living space in it a wash bay, a paint bay, a lift and workspace and enough room to park all my toys

so, ya i guess you could say ive been well........not too thrilled on the 40hr/ week bussiness bein so far from hom but at least ill work thru the winter this year instead of bein laid off.......one of the perks to working for this contractor is they almost never lay anyone off for winter and keep them busy......
    Hemingray Insulators

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post

You'd think one of all those apprentices he trained would jump in and help him...