Thread: What is it?

Default What is it?

Featured Sponsor

dug this out of the back room at work and no one can tell me exactly what it was used for. a.b. chance, last tested 1956 at 75k. anyone know?

looks like an old wire holder when they did more sticking we have some fiberglass ones that look like that.. that'd be my guess but its just a guess??

Default Amp. tong holder?

Used to use one similar to that. You placed a hand operated set of amp tongs in it and when you reached to the wire you operated a lever near the handle and that opened the amp tongs. Of course they eventually created some that worked easily. Last one I used you just put it on the end of an extendo and stood on the ground and put the jaws past the wire. No opening or closing. It locked on the reading and you brought it down. I think it was from Hastings.

Looks like the lever part of the stick is broke off just below the tool holder.

Can't say for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by wtdoor67 View Post
    Used to use one similar to that. You placed a hand operated set of amp tongs in it and when you reached to the wire you operated a lever near the handle and that opened the amp tongs. Of course they eventually created some that worked easily. Last one I used you just put it on the end of an extendo and stood on the ground and put the jaws past the wire. No opening or closing. It locked on the reading and you brought it down. I think it was from Hastings.

Looks like the lever part of the stick is broke off just below the tool holder.

Can't say for sure though.
    cool, i would say that is exactly what it was used for, we have been racking our brains to try and figure it out. yea the piece is broken that is connected to the handle.

5. Default

yep, it's a broken clamp-on ammeter stick. The operating arm is busted off.

Quote Originally Posted by HIVOLTS View Post
    That's what it looks like to me too!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often

Default Amertong Tool

Quote Originally Posted by HIVOLTS View Post
    You guys are right on. We stopped making this model in about 1959 when we introduced Epoxiglas pole tools. This one is on a pole that we called MapLac which stood for maple wood with a lacquer finish to help keep moisture out.

We still have a similar model in the current tool catalog.
    http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/l.../amertongs.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Bipeflier View Post
    You guys are right on. We stopped making this model in about 1959 when we introduced Epoxiglas pole tools. This one is on a pole that we called MapLac which stood for maple wood with a lacquer finish to help keep moisture out.

We still have a similar model in the current tool catalog.
    http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/l.../amertongs.asp
    I am curios if anyone uses these types of amp meters anymore? They are not meant to be used on primary voltage.
    This is all we are permitted to use http://www.sensorlink.com/selector?type=meter on primary & they are also a lot easier than using the stick shown in the link from hubbell.
    On a side note all of the meters we use on secondary have to be a minimum Cat lll.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    I am curios if anyone uses these types of amp meters anymore? They are not meant to be used on primary voltage.
    Although the design of Ammeters has changed over the years, I have used an Old Clamp-On type ammeter on Primary..........if I remember right our old clamp-on's were rated at 1000 amps...they didn't have a voltage rating.......

When I retired I still had and old clamp-on......I had to use a Multi-meter on Low voltage to compare readings, cause sometime in the mid 90's they quit calibrating the old style.....but mine still worked fine and readings would be within just a few amps of the new one versus the old one....

Never had the Fancy New style one........might be one in each Center, and the Boss man kept track of where it was Afraid some lineman would break it!!
    Old Lineman Never Die......We Just Don't Raise Our Booms As Often