Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default NLC good or bad????

Featured Sponsor

I've heard many things about Northwest Lineman College mostly bad things like all they do is teach you how to climb and most of them came to Texas from Cali to work the line jobs here and after a few years went back to Cali as soon as a job opened. They recently just opened a new NLC twenty miles from where i live in Texas. i currently go to line school at a tech college in east texas and wonder if they are gonna take these sob's in their 15 week crash course over my 1 year school. I can't stand to see the job openings while i'm in school and sure as hell can't stand it when they hire these fools anywhere except pike. Am i wrong or right ?

That's what i like to here cause i know its all just a crash course and these guys dont know nothing and i hope the only one's who hire them are rat outfit contractors. Otherwise i'm staying in tech school. And maybe Westar can hire some real grunts i'll be lookin there way when i finish school i got family in Pittsburg KS

Quote: I can't stand to see the job openings while i'm in school and sure as hell can't stand it when they hire these FOOLS anywhere except pike. Am i wrong or right ?

Wow......... you're wrong.
    I went to NLC and learned a LOT more than just climbing........now i have an apprenticeship.........now I'm learning on the job..........and getting paid for it........

Trust me, you can learn all you want in school, but the learning really begins on the job. The learning never ends.

The NLC students are no different from you, they all want to be lineman. They have found a way to make it happen.

i know this and all i'm saying is i will be picked over any NLC grad any day. now there's one in Texas just adding to the competition for jobs screw it i might as well drop out and do this 15 week course if everyone's gettin hired....and pre apprentice you work contractor , coop, muni, or what? just curious

I work for a contractor, utility and coop jobs are very slim for apes in my part of the country. I plan to work for a large utility, in a big city eventually. After a couple years experience, it should not be a problem.

Tell ya what, I am very happy to start out with a contractor. The experience i am getting is incredible. Can't imagine getting nearly the experience from a coop.

Good luck on the job hunt.

i agree about the coop part they really don't know nothing. i used to work for the largest investor owned in Texas where i meter read and quit to get ahead of the competition and went to line school. Every thing here in Texas is very competitive as far as line work goes there's no brother in law outfits here

7. Default Careful careful.

Unless you have met every graduate from NLC, I'd keep your mouth shut. Who are you to say one school is better than another. So what if the school your attending is a year, doesn't mean jack. Until you actually get into the trade and get some real experience under your belt being a hand on a crew I'd just keep quiet. Every place will have it's share of shitty hands, no one is born a journeyman. Muni's, co-ops, IOU's, Contractors are all different. It's all up to the individual. My two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by ntxhand View Post
    i agree about the coop part they really don't know nothing. i used to work for the largest investor owned in Texas where i meter read and quit to get ahead of the competition and went to line school. Every thing here in Texas is very competitive as far as line work goes there's no brother in law outfits here
    I've seen some good hands that have come from co-op's don't be so quick to think they really don't know nothing, some of them know nothings can probably still learn you a few things

Default Green

is not a very good color on you. You come outta you 1 year tech school and you will be the same as them when you get hired on......... a GRUNT! If I had to go to school for a year to get the same job as someone who only had to go 15 weeks Id be jealous to! We hire 2 year tech grads for the same job that dont know shit either! And what would you know about brother in law line outfits in Texas you were a meter reader (enough said)! And you talking shit about coop hands is just comical (see previous sentence)!

Thumbs up

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by LINEHAND View Post
    is not a very good color on you. You come outta you 1 year tech school and you will be the same as them when you get hired on......... a GRUNT! If I had to go to school for a year to get the same job as someone who only had to go 15 weeks Id be jealous to! We hire 2 year tech grads for the same job that dont know shit either! And what would you know about brother in law line outfits in Texas you were a meter reader (enough said)! And you talking shit about coop hands is just comical (see previous sentence)!