Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs down A disgrace to union members!

Featured Sponsor

Confirmed: Union-Bashing Right-Wing Media Stars Hannity, Limbaugh and O'Reilly Are AFL-CIO Union-Affiliated Members

In spite of their criticism of unions in Wisconsin, AlterNet has confirmed that leading right-wing pundits are American Federation Television and Radio Artists union members.
    February 26, 2011
    When it comes to the Wisconsin union fights, right-wing pundits Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh have a couple of things in common. For starters, have all voiced their opposition to the plight of public employee unions in the state.

On Feb. 18, Limbaugh said on his radio program, "We are either on the side of the Wisconsin protesters or we are on the side of our country." Hannity has featured several guests critical of the union and its supporters, including Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, on his Fox News television and radio shows.
    On the Feb. 18 edition of "The O'Reilly Factor," O'Reilly stated, "Governments can't afford to operate" because of "union wages and benefits." But it turns out that opposing workers' rights isn't the only thing these blowhards have in common.
    As it turns out, all three of them belong to the American Federation Television and Radio Artists union (AFTRA), which is the AFL-CIO affiliate for television and broadcast workers.
    Last edited by electriklady; 02-26-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Default No thinking allowed for Union Members?

So if you belong to your union, you have to agree with everything all unions do? Is that what I'm hearing?

By the way, I'll repeat the question until you answer it.

No you dont! But it is disgraceful to belong to a union and make the statement that you are either on the side of the union members in Wisconsin or on the side of this country.......insinuating to believe in union(which by the way these hipocrites belong to) and to side with the union cause is un-American. I am sick and tired of hearing we are un-American if you do not back the teabaggers and republicans. We are as American as anyone else, and are sick of the "holier than thou" attitude.

I dont agree with all things that all unions do, but those I dont, I am an active member and fight to change what I dont like, I dont sit on the sidelines running my mouth, I cannot stand people who speak out of both sides of their mouth...ie union members calling union member advocates anti-American.
    Last edited by electriklady; 02-26-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    So if you belong to your union, you have to agree with everything all unions do? Is that what I'm hearing?

By the way, I'll repeat the question until you answer it.
    After spending almost 40 years belonging to the IBEW, I have listened to more than I care to remember, concerning unions.

Most of the ones running there mouths at meetings and what not were the ones that couldn't keep a job any where else except under the cloak of a protective union.

I don't really think I discourage unions, more so the ones that believe they have a right to dispute everything an employer decides neccesary to stay in business.
    If Wisconsin can't keep paying the raises and beni's to the teachers union then I guess it's a no brainer.... they either take their paycut or pay freeze or they get layed off and go on unemployment for 99 weeks then welfare. It's pretty cut and dried, they either can't pay or they can. These are taxpayers dollars we are talking about... some that could lose their homes and what they have worked all their lives for because they can't afford to pay their taxes because of increases in union benefits.....

Greed is a wonderfull thing ain't it.

In situations like this the unions are dirtier than the corporate slugs they bash all the time.

Again you are missing the point.....NONE of this is about concessions from the public employees.....they have agreed to the asked for concessions......what they do not agree to is to give up their collective bargaining rights..........plain and simple......and that is what those of us that are backing them are protesting......not the concessions......we have all made them.....it is the fact that they agreed to the concessions and that is not good enough.........he wants their union.

Spin it any way you want.......this has nothing to do with $$$$$$$

You are masking your insults now.....that is something new....but still very transparent.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by electriklady View Post
    Again you are missing the point.....NONE of this is about concessions from the public employees.....they have agreed to the asked for concessions......what they do not agree to is to give up their collective bargaining rights..........plain and simple......and that is what those of us that are backing them are protesting......not the concessions......we have all made them.....it is the fact that they agreed to the concessions and that is not good enough.........he wants their union.

Spin it any way you want.......this has nothing to do with $$$$$$$

You are masking your insults now.....that is something new....but still very transparent.
    Call it what you want, but your personal attacks because of difference of opinion is still not warranted.

What the unions in wisconsin don't understand is the fact that they are not being asked for their approval or concessions. The gouvernor has written a bill to remove collective bargaining rights in repect to their salaries and benefits.
    It will either pass and they can continue on with their public servantry or it will not, and 12,000 public servants will be unemployed by the state of Wisconsin. Spin it until you get dizzy that's what will take place.

Default I was president of our local when Ronald Reagan ran for a second term

We are in Utility Workers Union of America. The national office sent out a questionaire to it's member's about who they were supporting. The majority supported Reagan and national was pissed. We were scolded in letters about who we should support. I sent in a letter to national telling them they they represented us, not vice-versa. Our state rep, Tom Wojitola, called me and told me to back off. That was when I realized that for me, the union did not represent us, but a political party.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    We are in Utility Workers Union of America. The national office sent out a questionaire to it's member's about who they were supporting. The majority supported Reagan and national was pissed. We were scolded in letters about who we should support. I sent in a letter to national telling them they they represented us, not vice-versa. Our state rep, Tom Wojitola, called me and told me to back off. That was when I realized that for me, the union did not represent us, but a political party.
    We recieved mailings every election, about who we should support as a member of our union, and also phone calls although they never said they were representing the IBEW, I'm fairly certain they were.

I typically never spoke politics in my work surroundings because I listened to the majority speak of opposite beliefs than mine. As you know NY especially around the larger metropolitan areas is predominately liberal.

I voted,worked and lived according to my beliefs and payed my dues so that I could continue to live the way I chose... not the way they wanted me too.

And personally feel that the only disgrace to unions are the ones that feel you need to behave like them... and not have your own views.

Quote Originally Posted by heelwinch View Post
    We recieved mailings every election, about who we should support as a member of our union, and also phone calls although they never said they were representing the IBEW, I'm fairly certain they were.

I typically never spoke politics in my work surroundings because I listened to the majority speak of opposite beliefs than mine. As you know NY especially around the larger metropolitan areas is predominately liberal.

I voted,worked and lived according to my beliefs and payed my dues so that I could continue to live the way I chose... not the way they wanted me too.

And personally feel that the only disgrace to unions are the ones that feel you need to behave like them... and not have your own views.
    Unions don't tell you who to vote for, every American has the right to vote the way they choose. What unions try to do is show it's membership what politicians have supported issues that favor working men and women and which ones have'nt and hopefully the members will make an intelligent decision based on the facts. The most important issue to me has always been my livelyhood and what is best for my family and fellow workers.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by wudwoker51 View Post
    Unions don't tell you who to vote for. The most important issue to me has always been my livelyhood and what is best for my family and fellow workers.
    Sorry, I have to disagree, in part, they did tell us who to vote for. And when union members feel someone represents them and their country for the better, the union needs to respect that.