Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Default CAL NV JATC interview tips?

Featured Sponsor

Hey all,

I just applied to the CAL/NEV JATC apprenticeship program out of Riverside,CA for this app. cycle 04/01/11-05/31/11; the office got my app. 05/16/11. I put that I didn't have any experience on the appl., no CDL, and no certs. of any kind. I just met the minimum reqs; however, I spoke with susan and chrissy, the ladies handling the appls. and they said as long as you meet the minimum reqs as posted on the site you are guranteed an interview! HOWEVER, I am in the process of obtaining all my certs. along with exp. so I don't look like a jackass when I interview. I just figured I get my appl. in to get the ball rolling on the grass. I wanted to know a few things...

1) how long would it be until I get an interview letter, considering my position, until I update my file having all my certs? (approx. wait time from the time I applied)

2) what type of ?'s do they ask on the interview?

3) what is the wait time from the interview to the pole climb orientation?

4) what contractors/companies/utilities dispatch the apprentice, once pole climb class is complete?
    H&M, par, pike?

5) Is there an out of work time during the apprenticeship, where work has slowed?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by 909preapprentice; 06-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.

Hey brother. I feel your dilemma. I would say to get your climbing cert first. It will give you more opportunities and an advantage over people that don't have one. Most groundman jobs or at least edison,dwp, and local 47(at least to get a call) require it. What I have heard with the jatc as far as interviewing is to go in confident but not cocky. Use the 20 minutes to sell yourself. I too have an interview with them on the 16th. There is so much competition, it is gonna be tough. But its not impossible. I know a guy that got in last year without a cert. I've been unemployed for over a year now and I used that time to get my climbing cert, osha 10, cpr/first aid, and my class A. I think those are gonna be more important first. They do look for prior construction exp, not necessarily in the line field. I had 9 years in the plumbing trade. But I think I wouldn't have had the opportunities. I've had without the climbing cert and the class A. I coiuld be wrong but that's what I think. Hope it helps and good luck!

3. Default

miller,

I appreciate the comment brother. I am going to go with that suggestion and get that pole climb cert. If you don't mind me asking, you have an interview with whom on the 16th? CAL NEV? is that May 16th, of this year? If so when did you apply and how long did you have to wait, till you recieved the interview? when I mentioned the 16th, I meant they recieved my application May 16th, 2011. Who knows when i'll recieve a letter for my interview? when do you think i'll recieve an interview? I put on my application that I had no experience what so ever, but I do fufill all the minimum requirements, as posted on their website, and I know I turned in all proper documentation to at least have my app. accepted. All in all, Good luck on that interview brother, and keep me updated on how it went!

4. Default

correction to above,

wow, I just realized what a dumbass I am. May 16th passed already lmfao! I blame that on the thinking and stressfulness of which way is the best to break into this field,lol!!! I posted june 1st and I'm talking about a date that passed already! alrighttyyy thennn....lmfao!!! All in all, MILLER, you said you had an interview for whom? and what date?

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post
    miller,

I appreciate the comment brother. I am going to go with that suggestion and get that pole climb cert. If you don't mind me asking, you have an interview with whom on the 16th? CAL NEV? is that May 16th, of this year? If so when did you apply and how long did you have to wait, till you recieved the interview? when I mentioned the 16th, I meant they recieved my application May 16th, 2011. Who knows when i'll recieve a letter for my interview? when do you think i'll recieve an interview? I put on my application that I had no experience what so ever, but I do fufill all the minimum requirements, as posted on their website, and I know I turned in all proper documentation to at least have my app. accepted. All in all, Good luck on that interview brother, and keep me updated on how it went!
    Hey 909, sorry I have an interview with the jatc on the 16th. I applied on april 4th. I was told by them that everyone who meets the minimum eligibility req will get an interview. I received my first letter about three weeks ago and then the interview letter about a week ago. If I were you I would call and ask them. They will be able to give you an idea of when to expect a letter. As far as experience, there are plenty of guys from my class that had no exp and also got an interview. It comes down to the interview. From there they will send you a letter a couple weeks later with a score from the interview. That is your ranking and I think its good for two years. You can go back and update it like if you got your climbing cert or class A. So you want to try and score really well on the interview. Its all about getting in the top 30 for the class. Good luck to you and ill keep you posted.

6. Default

hey buddie just wanted to give you a little advice cuz in know every little helps. I am about to complete their last orientation class before their interviews start again. my suggestions to you is to prove to them that you really want to do this kind of work, get your CDL class A, any climbing experience helps, take pics of yourself on the pole, know your knots, sign the union books, cpr and safety card. experience is not neccesarily a deal breaker but it does help. your not guaranteed to get into an orientation class right away, it took me about 6 months after my interview to get in and barely made the cut. The orientation class is no joke either, they will work your ass and they will make you feel like a dumb ass but you know what, its part of the job and all you do is take their advice and keep your F*ing mouth shut. So good luck man and dont expect everything to be right away cuz a lot of other people have been waiting just as long. oh yeah also be sure your not afraid of heights, i would hate for you to have turned down a narrow back job for something your not sure you would really like.

7. Default

thanks newbie909,

What kind of ?'s did they ask you on the interview? and after my pole climb cert course do you think they will look favorable on groundman experience...maybe 4-6 months b4 my interview? What kind of attire did you wear on the interview? and could you give me a timeline from when you 1st applied, to when you got the interview, to when you got invited to the orientation? another thing how's work for them now? any1 on the out of work list? thanks in advance I appreciate the input partner!

8. Default

Miller,
    Good luck on your interview this Weds! Let me know how it went brother!

Quote Originally Posted by 909preapprentice View Post
    Miller,
    Good luck on your interview this Weds! Let me know how it went brother!
    Hey 909 , my interview is thursday 16th. Talked to a young cat from our class that interviewed today. First and only question they asked him " so why do you want to be a lineman?". He was in and out in five minutes. That may have not been a good sign. Its a panel of six gentlemen. I'll know more tomorrow and keep you all posted...

10. Talking

Featured Sponsorr

no problem man, it took me about two years for everything but they were going thru some what of a tough time due to the economy so it froze all interviews. they have a lot of work right now from what they are telling us and once this orientation class ends on saturday we all will be working by monday (awesome). 900 people applied and some interviews are going to be going on weds and thurs. i think their next climbing class is in about 2-3 weeks. your climbing certificate will definetely help and so will your groundmans experience. it depends what exactly you have on your application as far as climbing cert, class a cdl, groundman experience, depending on all that, they will send you a letter on when you are invited for an interview. it took me about 6 months or so but remember things were really slow. once you get your interview date you can update your resume, climbing cert, class a cdl, pics of you on the pole, etc. on your interview it is very important to score really high cuz that will determine when you get invited to an orientation class. basically sell your self to the panel, let them know everything you have been doing to become a lineman. sign the local union books, get your class A, tell them your working as a groundman etc. i was ranked in the 120's so dont feel bad if your not in the single digits. Remember that there is going to be a lot of people with the same qualifications you have, so you got to really do well on the interview. Dress like a lineman, your not going to an interview for an office job.