Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3 phase wye/delta bank with wild leg?

Featured Sponsor

Just curious, does anyone have the drawing or diagram of 3 phase wye(primary) delta(secondary) XFRMER bank with a "bastard leg" to get 120 out of one of the legs for lights? Do you leave just one strap on a bushing inside the guts of the Xformer to do that, instead of just putting the 2 straps on each hot leg to get straight power? I used to know how to do it, but I just can't seem to remember, so any help would be great, as I'm sure someone here is very knowledgeable about different wiring schemes for Cans. If someone could just draw the three cans and make a picture of them with the wild or "bastard" leg that'd be swell, cuz I'm more visual than having to....Thanx much for any info fellas

I do not have a drawing handy, but I remember SBatt posting a web site that mite help. It really is easy though you just 2 transformers hooked up in series without the ground strap to give you 240 & on the one transformer you ground the x2 & that transformer will give you your 120/240. You just hook up the 3 for a 240 delta.

Ummmmmmmm using 3 pots remove the secondary ground straps on the outside 2. start by tying the right hand bushing on the far left pot to the left hand bushing on the center pot. then the right hand bushing on the center pot to the left hand bushing on the righthand pot. All that is left is the left hand side of the outside pot to the right hand side of the other outside pot.If you ground the center pots middle bushing your voltage will be 125 to grnd or 240 phase to phase on the 2 shortest busses. The longer buss tying the 2 outside xfmrs will be the wild leg and voltage will run bout 216 or thereabout. Just remember delta always uses opposing bushings on each pot. Ummmm purty poor esplanation but Hell I'm gettin senile.

no poot you ain't senile it's just so hard to remember all of the damn hookups cuz they're are sooo fuggin many of em...I wish someone could draw a pic and put it up on this post.....LIke I said before any help is appreciated thanx guys...

Default Mercy!

Quote Originally Posted by freshjive View Post
    no poot you ain't senile it's just so hard to remember all of the damn hookups cuz they're are sooo fuggin many of em...I wish someone could draw a pic and put it up on this post.....LIke I said before any help is appreciated thanx guys...
    Comeon. There are basically 4 common ways to hook banks. There are some kinda strange things but you're not likely to run across them. Break out a Kurtz book.

Use Batt's link or do some googling.

No there are only 4 different configurations for 3 pot banks. There may be some variation such as a floating buss on wye stuff.. But delta is delta on all of em.
    Wye tells you one hot bushing on each pot is used for a hot( must be the same bushing left or right throughout the hook up and that the other bushing is grounded or floated.
    Delta tells you that each right bushing ties to the left bushing of the next pot.
    Dont let it get any harder than that its simple stuff.

Ummmm Steve that wud be wye-wye, wye-delta, delta-wye, or delta-delta.

Wye - delta. Float the primary neutral. What Poot says is right. And yeah tranny hookups are pretty simple, its just the engineers and techs that make it sound so complicated. Oh yeah and your cans have to have 2 insulated primary bushings.

yea good info, thanks for posting it. im not use to seeing subtractive polarity transformers used in most diagrams though.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by kooman View Post
    yea good info, thanks for posting it. im not use to seeing subtractive polarity transformers used in most diagrams though.
    I saw that to,all of the transformer where I'm at are additive occasionally some of the guys will run up on one in a bank where we have taken over some lines from other utilities in territorial agreements and you guessed it will replace it with an additive