Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Equipment Operator Certifications

Featured Sponsor

Looking for input regarding certifications for the operation of equipment, primarily cranes and boom trucks. Starting to hear that within a year anyone operating equipment capable of lifting 2000 lbs or more will have to have the NCCCO certification or equivalent certification ( don't know if one even exists ). If the IBEW doesn't become proactive on this issue we are going to lose alot of our traditional work to the IUOE.
    Last edited by wudwoker51; 01-13-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    " When character is lost, all is lost "

Quote Originally Posted by wudwoker51 View Post
    Looking for input regarding certifications for the operation of equipment, primarily cranes and boom trucks. Starting to hear that within a year anyone operating equipment capable of lifting 2000 lbs or more will have to have the NCCCO certification or equivalent certification ( don't know if one even exists ). If the IBEW doesn't become proactive on this issue we are going to lose alot of our traditional work to the IUOE.
    Aw God! What the hell is wrong with our freakin gov! Anyway to make money! We'll all be operators...OR WAIT...MAYBE WE'LL GET ANOTHER EXEMPTION?

Default NCCO card

Out here in Cali we have to have them,but the operating engineers don't try to take much of our work because line work around energized circuits is considered a "special skill".Our local agreed that all JL's ,apes,and operators would get the cert. but we still wont let one of their guys run our cranes.
    They try but we put our foot down!!
    The test is easy( I passed it), A LOT of math,you gotta figure load weight ,plus jib weight,stowed or stored,your distance off your turret.One thing I will say is if you got the cert. a lot of other guys don't! It's a sure way to get a call! E.S.

Default Nccco

ES, Who makes the determination of "Special Skill" Cal OSHA? Also who paid for the certification and how long did it take to complete?

5. Default

At camp Rilea, the 2 instructors became certified crane testers. The NWLine JATC will start doing the testing to certify for crane operatoration up here. They are being very proactive, but won't be teaching operation just testing.

I tried the test (with digger derrick hoist) and that shit was alot harder than it looked. Crazy to think people can do that with fully extended and drop in to a barrel.

Brad

ES, Who makes the determination of "Special Skill" Cal OSHA? Also who paid for the certification and how long did it take to complete?
    I guess it was our local that stood up and said it was a "special skill" !
    The class was a week long,6 or 7 hours a day,and it cost somewhere in the $2000 range.You do the book work test first then run the cranes at different date.
    It comes outta your pocket, I got lucky because at the time our apprenticeship paid for it (I was an ape when I got the cert.)and my employer covered me for the week I was gone!

One thing I can say is run the little crane then test on it,then run the larger crane and test,if you jump back and forth your hand eye coordination (at least mine)will get messed up because of different lever function! W.S.

7. Default

I have been operating a digger derrick and a 21 ton stick crane for 20 years now, and I always called an equipment operator a lever puller because that is all they are. Built my daughter a so-called treehouse out of 40' class 4 poles. She was 9 years old and ran the line truck for me while I worked the ground. She did exactly what I told her and unloaded the poles off the trailer, dug the holes and set the poles. Never once did I have to get up on the truck. 9 year old little girl did what I have seen grown men not do as well that called themselves equipment operators. I call them LEVER PULLERS

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlin View Post
    I have been operating a digger derrick and a 21 ton stick crane for 20 years now, and I always called an equipment operator a lever puller because that is all they are. Built my daughter a so-called treehouse out of 40' class 4 poles. She was 9 years old and ran the line truck for me while I worked the ground. She did exactly what I told her and unloaded the poles off the trailer, dug the holes and set the poles. Never once did I have to get up on the truck. 9 year old little girl did what I have seen grown men not do as well that called themselves equipment operators. I call them LEVER PULLERS
    so you are as good as a 9 year old? you should be proud....at building a treehouse... worthless for 20 years and over payed ...you have no clue do you?
    lineman641

Default Work Raiding

The bottom line is that the IUOE control the vast majority of the people who do the certifing and fight like hell if anybody from the IBEW tries to become a certified NCCCO trainer. Personally all it amounts to is work raiding, because it is easier to steal work than to organize in order to gain market share. Make no mistake about it, the IUOE will try to invade and do the work that traditionally has been done by the IBEW. Maybe not energized work but definitely transmission and wind generation.

Featured Sponsorr

when the IBEW started working with the building and trades unions the lineman locals REALLY started to take it in the ass... at first it started out great narrowbacks were getting a whole new buch of work that had been sowed up buy boilermakers and milwrights in plants and co gens...

but then the other trades started to seep into our work... labours wanting to dig ditches in urd... rock heads poring crete for footers in subs that had rebar tyed by rod busters...then when the footers were cured...riggers skidin in transformers in gens and subs... the iron workers wanted the steel and then it pushed out to the highline... and of course you need termites to build forms and IUOE to do all the machine work... we gave up to much...

most of that shit started in new construction.... now they push it into energized stations...
    energized highlines...

got so bad that on a job in Philly one time we had to put gbs on the towers to that they had some thing "electrical" on them so the redheads would go back to their gd Red Iron...had to put grounds on the machines just incase they hit some thing... OE disappeared...

they don't know WTF they are doing... and shouldn't be doing it...

the IO needs to get more involved for sure...

in the mean time I remember when the crane cert was just coming up for becomeing federal...

WV was all ready certing people a year or 2 before under their state what ever... I got a card... and was grandfathered under that...

same with forklift...

wonder if you guys could do something similar...

sorry for the rant

for what it's worth...

Edge