Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Anybody ever work for a coop?

Featured Sponsor

Hey everybody,
    I completed mslcat orientation back in july and my number they gave me was kind of high so ive been waiting. I recently filled out an app. with a coop in maryland and they want me to come out for an interveiw. should I wait for mountain states or try for the coop back east. Plus I dont know much about coop's any info. at all would be helpfull thanks.

Ummmmmmmm If you are trying to break into the trade you cant discount a co op. They turn out some fine hands.Experience is what you are after and you will get it there. Theres pros and cons to every facet of the trade but if you want to work and to learn theres not one damn thing wrong with a co op. It gets your foot in the door,Gives you a real feel for what linemen do, and there are some knowledgeable hands to learn from.

I'ld say get your foot in the door as soon as you can. As long as your young and mobile, I say what the hell. If a position opens up down the road at a Utility fine, but getting in the door is your first priority. Never worked for a CoOP But I sorta picture them as a sorta mini Utility or a Muni.

Default Yep.

<....delete....>
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-04-2012 at 07:09 AM.

you might be right about the headache part RC, but look at the expierence and talent we have. How many thousands of hours in safety training have we sat through. All thoes underground, overhead, Transmision jobs. different banks, regulators, reclosers, sectionalizers. Phasing and checking rotation on feeders. All that wire and poles we put back up through the years in all kinds of weather.

Guys like us can walk on to anyones property and feel comfortable. Who knows,, someday large utility lineman may be a thing of the past. Companies may decide to contract everything out including day to day opperations and even trouble work. I'll be retired by than hopefully.

I'ld like to see this kid get his foot in the door anywhere and start learning the trade, who knows what doors will open for him down the road. I think once guys get married and have kids, buy a house with a big mortgage they loose their mobility and are less likely to drag up for a better oppurtunity.

Default Good Reply Top.

<....delete....>
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-04-2012 at 07:08 AM.

7. Default

Alright cool thanks i just bought a plane ticket to go back there and it sounds like they could put me to work as a groundman right away. Ive got a lot of family back east so i think this will work out.

I say if you can get in the door and get you feet wet, go for it. In your interview normally the will ask you "do you have any questions for us?"
    Ask them if they have an apprenticeship program.
    Not all Co-ops are small by the way. SRP in Arizona has over 4000 employees, 900,000 customers, and 2900 miles of service territory!!!

<....delete....>
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-04-2012 at 07:08 AM.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

Hey guys
    Just got back from the coop interveiw back east and it looks preety good. they can get me in as a groundman to start and they said when there apprentice class starts I can apply. Starting out as a groundman the pay is pretty low ,Is that normal for a coop? MSLCAT changed my number again closer to the call so im not sure where I should go. If I go with mslcat I will start out as an apprentice. Any advice would help. thanks