Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Traveling lineman

Featured Sponsor

Hello folks, I currently work for a contractor as an ape,we travel statewide only. I am considering buying a 5th wheel to tramp around. I feel that this option will give me a sense of freedom to travel to different jobs and opportunities ( short terms jobs etc...)that I normally wouldn't be able to do( because I can't quit a steady job for these short term union projects..mountain states, cal Nevada jatc.). Oh ya and the wife could tag along. Haha.

Can anyone give their opinion on the tramp lifestyle. Pros and cons.

Thanks.

Ummmmmmmmmmm If and only if you can string those short calls together so that once you finish one job and have a new destination ,then for a single man or a guy and his wife it aint a bad gig. When Kids enter the picture that all changes. BUT an apprentice dont really have the ability to travel like that on a union job.A journeyman does.If there is time involved the prevailing local will very likely have that work filled and nobody makes money on a 40 hr job ,traveling .Better to stay where ya are and learn the trade, kause there is lottsa unknowns on the road.

I'ld say finish your apprentiship before you even think about tramping around. Once your a journeyman no one can ever take that away from you.

Default Not easy being an ape :)

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    I'ld say finish your apprentiship before you even think about tramping around. Once your a journeyman no one can ever take that away from you.
    I meant to add this concern in my original post. I really want to work the cal Nevada jatc, even though it can be hard for an ape to keep busy.

Does the sense of freedom make sense to y'all? Any other stories or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

If you get into mountain states or cal-nev you will be happy to have a fifth wheel. If you decide to go that route get a 4 season unit so your not froze up all the time. I've been in one for along time beats the hell out of motels and saves you a little money too.

6. Default

ive been in a 5th wheel for quite a while, i also have my wife and 2yr olds with me. I traveled for a few years without the ol lady and we get along alot better now.......that being said, the other half needs to understand the uncertainty of tramping and as an ape you dont have much control of where you go. The others are right though,home you do save money and your home is on wheels. Pretty fun in my eyes.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 55lineman View Post
    ive been in a 5th wheel for quite a while, i also have my wife and 2yr olds with me. I traveled for a few years without the ol lady and we get along alot better now.......that being said, the other half needs to understand the uncertainty of tramping and as an ape you dont have much control of where you go. The others are right though,home you do save money and your home is on wheels. Pretty fun in my eyes.
    Maybe I'll wait until I journey out, unless of course I end up with cal nev jatc. Thanks for the for the feedback! Only 4,500 more hours.

Top out and then travel! An apprenticeship is not that long considerin most hands agree you never stop learnin in this trade so why cut your trainin short? You want as much knowledge and experience as possible before you top out and go trampin! If you're behind it'll be hell tryin to catch up! Just look at some of the posters on here!

And in my opinion STAY AWAY FROM UTILITIES if you want freedom! I'd take unlimited unpaid vacation over strict paid vacation any day among a few more things!

Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone with RAT in their name. Go union and don't take a risk of getting yourself over your head in the non union world. They have people that don't reguard safety rules and state laws. They have shit for equipment and tools. If they don't have it, you take a shortcut or get fired. Shortcuts in this business gets you killed. Most of the killings in the last several years are apes! Alot of time the so called lineman was no where around, or the foreman didn't know the direction of feed and didn't or couldn't rescue the men on the pole. Learn what NOT to do before you go tramping. Finish your apprenticeship before you go tramping, hopefully it's a union sanctioned one or you won't get hired on a union job where you have highly trained and very careful men to teach you all you need to get through your 8,000 hours. Like someone said earlier, I think a few times, you are never going to quit learning how to do linework. If you learn ONE thing from EVERY JL you work with, you will have a really good start to a long carrer and go home with all your fingers and toes EVERY GODDAMN NIGHT!

Default You guys are awesome

Featured Sponsorr

Thanks for all the replies! I agree that I will be learning everyday of my career. It doesn't matter where I go or where I end up. All I know is that I will be living, loving and learning linework for the next 30 + years. I appreciate all of the traveling tips and career path tips! Feel free to keep em coming.

From a dirty contractor.