Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter View Post
    I'm a big fan of the "beast". We have some old ones with analog display still in use. But the Super Beast is on 3 different trucks. You can do a heck of a lot of troubleshooting in a short time with one.
    Didn't know the super beast had some digital displays. Mine has analog and one of them don't work. The mega beast I have is brand spankin new. Little bulky but nice. Just got in a time domain reflectometer (radar) for finding high resistance connections.

The adapter for the superbeast is a must to check the return on the neutral.

Really though one can do a lot with a simple hair dryer plugging 5 amps.

"Really though one can do a lot with a simple hair dryer plugging 5 amps. "

That hairdryer is a great multi functional tool. Dont leave the shop without it.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.”
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by electriklady View Post
    In the area that I service, I know many electricians...so when the customer has a problem I give them their phone numbers. Most of them are at a loss when they have an electrical problem and ask if I know of any electricians...as a courtesy to the electicians, I carry their cards or have their phone numbers listed in my cell phone, I am more than happy to throw them some business. I have a couple that are very low priced, and if the customer is "on a fixed budget" I will call the electician and mention the "cash flow" problem and they usually cut the customer a break...I have a great working relationship with the electricians in our area...On the other side of the coin if I have to go in and convert an old A-base meter to a socket, it is not uncommon for me to render the customer permanently "lightless" just by the act of turning their power off. I could throw in a quick jumper, but I dont do that...I carry extra blocks with me and will replace the block if the lug or lugs will not tighten back up...after all they had lights until I arrived to change the meter so I feel an obligation to leave it the way I got there. Most electricians do not save old A-Base blocks on upgrade jobs, so it is kinda up to me. Burnt up lugs or broken blocks in a socket meter....well, I carry spare parts with me, and could fix it in a lot of cases, but I PREFER to give the job to the electricians.
    That's very interesting, and very nice of ya, seriously.

Just seems to me you could get yourself in a bit of trouble doin that.
    YOU recommending an electrician to a person, sure looks to me like a possible problem if somethin went wrong. When I was runnin a Trouble Truck, I got that question Alot. Whenever I was asked that, I'd always say, "I'm really sorry, but I can't recommend a specific electrician, maby talk to your neighbors and ask them for a reference."

Really don't understand your comment here.
    "I carry spare parts with me, and could fix it in a lot of cases, but I PREFER to give the job to the electricians"

Just out of curosity, why wouldn't you replace a Lug, or a block for a customer, and decide to give the job to an electrician? Not tryin to aggrivate or nothin My Lady....just honestly don't understand your rational.

In most cases the meter can is the responsibility of the customer therefore altering it would be no different than replacing a breaker box leaving the utility Liable. I usta do purdy much the same thing That Becky did but they flat out told us not to reccomend an electrician, so I would always tellem I knew 3,give em the names and let them decide on one ......... or Not.

We would not recommend an electrician either. The problem came from the ones who were not recommended. they felt the power company had favorites and where loosing business by not being on the favored list. They wanted the customer to choose and paid big money to put a larger ad in the Phone book or advertize in a big way, and the power company had no business making decissions for customers like that. So we got instructed not to recommend anyone. I had a few times I felt bad for the home owners but couldn't help in that way. I could tell them what was wrong so they understood what they needed and not get flimflammed, but didn't recommend anyone.

Default We generally repair meter bases

We provide the base for new construction. There are two other utilities in out service area. If the member uses a meter base from someone else, we don't repair it. We provide a new base and let the member hire an electrician. But in most cases we repair an old one. Although, we do come a cross an old 60 amp base once in a while. No more parts for them.
    Note to self, just because it pops into my head doesn't mean it should come out of my mouth.

We had one electrician in town that never ever threw away anything. He had piles n piles of stuff he had taken out over the years n seperated it into groups. So If a customer needed a part for a 60 amp can 9 times outta 10 he had it. Or a discontinued breaker, a lid for a meter can, didnt matter. I,ve seen him use scrap wire in the service riser to help hold down the costs for less wealthy folks.When he retired some years ago he sold his business to the journeyman he trained as an apprentice and worked under him for years. both really good guys and honest as the day was long.

Default seen guys like that

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    We had one electrician in town that never ever threw away anything. He had piles n piles of stuff he had taken out over the years n seperated it into groups. So If a customer needed a part for a 60 amp can 9 times outta 10 he had it. Or a discontinued breaker, a lid for a meter can, didnt matter. I,ve seen him use scrap wire in the service riser to help hold down the costs for less wealthy folks.When he retired some years ago he sold his business to the journeyman he trained as an apprentice and worked under him for years. both really good guys and honest as the day was long.
    ......Poot Ive seen people like that,they will save a piece for 20 yrs before ever using it..........comes in handy............but sometimes a backyard can start looking like Sanford & Sons yard..........we still have a few Lamonts here in Houston.

Ummmmm this wuznt in his backyard it wuz at his shop. I dont bleve he ever threw away even a peice of conduit. It literaly took up a half acre and was piled so high you couldnt see over it.I think just before he retired he sold it all off for scrap metal prices.

Default tip

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by Pootnaigle View Post
    Ummmmm this wuznt in his backyard it wuz at his shop. I dont bleve he ever threw away even a peice of conduit. It literaly took up a half acre and was piled so high you couldnt see over it.I think just before he retired he sold it all off for scrap metal prices.
    poot read your pm box,im writing now..give me a few