Post PG&E (California Utility) Lineman Positions

Featured Sponsor

Noticed a bunch of jobs being posted for lineman at PG&E. Some are lineman and others are for supervisor. The amount of jobs being posted does concern me a bit. Usually good places to work don't really post to many jobs. If there is anyone who works or has worked there please let me know whats up with PG&E. Any info would be great. Thanks and be safe out there brothers.

I went to a PG&E job fair a couple months ago they said they want to hire 180 lineman I listened to there spill about how it's a good company and all that my dad retired from there in 08 he worked there 35 years he told me the first 25 years were great the last 10 were horrible they have alot of people in management positions that were never lineman just have a college degree and want to tell the hands how to do there job and plus any new hire has to start in the bay area where the cost of living is high and it takes 5 years + to transfer somewhere you can afford to buy a house if you want to work in Ca outside contruction is way better IMO good luck and stay safe brother
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE

Default working at pge

Quote Originally Posted by west coast hand View Post
    I went to a PG&E job fair a couple months ago they said they want to hire 180 lineman I listened to there spill about how it's a good company and all that my dad retired from there in 08 he worked there 35 years he told me the first 25 years were great the last 10 were horrible they have alot of people in management positions that were never lineman just have a college degree and want to tell the hands how to do there job and plus any new hire has to start in the bay area where the cost of living is high and it takes 5 years + to transfer somewhere you can afford to buy a house if you want to work in Ca outside contruction is way better IMO good luck and stay safe brother

Yep, what west coast had said. To the T, I worked there two years ago for 7 years before then. Was a fun place to work then, when they had Lineman in charge and let the hands do linework. Then they got some ***** from florida with a rat mentality and it all went to ****. they started firing guys for stupid ****. And getting everyone scared of breaking safety rules and not focused on doin safe linework. Well i left there and went north, much better now. If i were you and if i ever go back ill be outa the hall. If you do take a job take it in the valley,not in the city, and make sure you get in maintenece. title 200. they have the ot list and rights to the call out. title 300 gc does more big jobs but dont work everyday call outs and they work you 8 hr days outa town. Pm for more info if needed. God bless my good friends ive lost at that company in the last 5 years. later
    Lineman, not a rat stupid

Default Pge

Same here at Arizona starting here 2 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Same here at Arizona starting here 2 years ago
    What part/company of Arizona?

Default seen all that $hit happen

Featured Sponsorr

Heard the old time foreman once say that there would be contractors parking in the companies parking lot,couldnt see it back then,it took years.Heard that they were going to get rid of people,rumor was the company was top heavy,another rumor was,the closer to the line you were the safer you were.In reality they did get rid of some foreman,which then went to the street light dept.Then they booted some jys,that had around 18 yrs with the co.They were good hands,maybe one small incident on their records,such as a backing incident,nobody injured,but still in their file.All this time the company's real plan was to force them to work for the local contractor,the company would still have trained personal,h-ll they trained them.At the same time they make a deal with the contractor,behind closed doors and before you could wipe your,you know what,the contractor is over the street light lineman.Kind of a hire,fire,hire deal.The company knows that the lineman want to stay in the same trade,and being older,married,with kids,chances are that they will stay in the same local location.The company sees this as a success,they now are low on people,so they slowly do this with the meter trucks,contracting some,not all meter work out.Again they have the same amount of trucks,some just happen to be working for the contractors,which they trained.Now the company is kinda where they want to be,they have skeleton crews of their own,and they now have the contractors to do the dirty jobs,the big jobs.In the past their lineman would do all the big jobs,20 poles,30poles,80 poles,ect.Now days,you dont and wont see that.They may set 3 maybe 4 or 5 poles,but I wouldnt really call that building a line.The company now doesnt pay for the benifits the lineman once had,the insurance they once enjoyed.They dont have to deal with the tool issues,they have less vehicles to deal with,ect.Now the story that the old time foreman told about the parking lot has came true.And now the higher ups at the company have the same or better perks than ever,they even have bigger bonuses than they thought,and finally they still have the lineman that they trained.