1. Default school or experience?

Featured Sponsor

Ive been working for a non-union contractor for over a year now. The apprenticeship program is non-existant. I want a job where I'm more established instead of running around the country. Would it be foolish to quit here and go through an IBEW apprenticeship back home (if I were accepted, obviously) or quit and go to a line school like NLC even though I have over 3500 hours documented just for the certificate? Ive been applying to several places, but haven't got calls. I figure a certificate from school and/or obviously going union might get me noticed...or, is this experience I'm gaining really going to help me land a great job down the road?

Experiences and opinions please. Thanks.

I would think your "documented" hours would help in getting in a local where they are hiring. I'm sure you are aware that you will still be traveling.

From all the union people ive been bugging on the west side of the country... work hours trump a line school any day of the week. I would say if you're not working and have the extra cash and time for a line school, go for it... but you're just gonna be doing it all over again when you finally get an apprenticeship.

Featured Sponsorr

I'd say stay where you are and keep getting hours in the trade and apply at every jatc in the country don't give up you will get in somewhere...
    IF YOU AIN'T IN YOUR TOOLS DON'T CHANGE THE RULES...BOYCOTT THE BUCKSQEEZE