Default Any tricks to know when trying to get into linework?

Featured Sponsor

Hello,
    I am a senior in high school, graduating in June. I have good grades(not sure if that means anything to a employer?) I have wanted to be a lineman ever since a family friend took me to work with him a few years back, but I am nervous about being able to get in. I joined the Army Reserves so the soonest I will be able to look for employment will be late 2012/early 2013. I have a few questions though.

1. Since I will have some military requirements, will this scare away or attract employers?
    2. Should I look into line schools? or try to get into a union directly?
    3. I know a few people in linework, will knowing them be able to give me any pull in trying to get a job?
    4. I have a lot of time, it will be difficult for me to switch units in the Army so I really need to look to get a job in Michigan, but I already have a place to work until I'm hired or leave for lineman school, and will be getting some money from the army to pay the bills, so I can wait if needed.

I really appreciate the help.

Default Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by j1993b View Post
    Hello,
    I am a senior in high school, graduating in June. I have good grades(not sure if that means anything to a employer?) I have wanted to be a lineman ever since a family friend took me to work with him a few years back, but I am nervous about being able to get in. I joined the Army Reserves so the soonest I will be able to look for employment will be late 2012/early 2013. I have a few questions though.

1. Since I will have some military requirements, will this scare away or attract employers?
    3. I know a few people in linework, will knowing them be able to give me any pull in trying to get a job?
    4. I have a lot of time, it will be difficult for me to switch units in the Army so I really need to look to get a job in Michigan, but I already have a place to work until I'm hired or leave for lineman school, and will be getting some money from the army to pay the bills, so I can wait if needed.

I don't know the american situation. BUT it sounds like you've every chance. A lot of linemen I've known and work with now are ex millitary " I'd see that as a definite PLUS ! And I got into line work ( many years ago) through knowing someone in the job. "My uncle". He got me the inital interview and put a good word in for me. As regards schools , union etc the guys on here will put ya straight. GOOD luck with it mate. An let us know how ya get on.

BE LUCKY.
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

Quote Originally Posted by j1993b View Post
    Hello,

Military background will definitly help. Is it possible to get into the electrical/communications jobs while you are in the military?? A climbing cert. and some basic experience in this field is also a plus.

Featured Sponsorr

Since I joined the reserves, and with how many people are joining the military right now, its kind of a "take it or leave it" situation......so I took a job as a motor transport operator. I wont be able to get my CDL through this, but Im sure tons of experience driving the big rigs! I am trying to see if any community colleges around here have climbing/bucket truck certs. as well as CDL classes I could take this spring before the end of school, just to try and be as far ahead of the game as possible! Thanks for the quick responses also!