Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Stringing Grounds

Featured Sponsor

Does anyone have a good recomendation for a Traveling ground. We have used the one from Hastings. It claims to be good for 6 Sol. up to 795 ACSR. But we have had trouble with them on the bigger wire. Any manufacturer names or part numbers would be helpful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ARHOG View Post
    Does anyone have a good recomendation for a Traveling ground. We have used the one from Hastings. It claims to be good for 6 Sol. up to 795 ACSR. But we have had trouble with them on the bigger wire. Any manufacturer names or part numbers would be helpful. Thanks
    This is what we use, hope it helps.

http://www.timberland-group.com/stor...tegory_id=2114
    Last edited by lewy; 01-18-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bipeflier View Post
    Yes, but you also need a travelling ground as well as grounding every 5th traveller (that has a proper ground stud) I believe plus other spots near where you could get into something.

The reel ground replaces the traveling ground, and is a more reliable connection. Is grounding every fifth traveler something that is a requirement in Canada, or just a requirement for the utility you are working for? Working for various contractors in the US, the only time I've used grounding blocks (travelers) has been adjacent to hot crossings when the particular utility we were working for required it in their SOP's. The grounding blocks usually seemed to cause more issues during wire pulls than the supposed added protection they may provide - needing to turn them around when pulling hard line in for conductor pulling as they were not designed for pulling both directions.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

We have to use both the travelling ground as well as the reel ground, as far as grounding travelers yes it is something we have to do, there is no difference in the direction. I am not sure if it is every 5 as it has been a while since I have done any tension stringing. I would have to review our grounding procedures to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tramp67 View Post
    The reel ground replaces the traveling ground, and is a more reliable connection. Is grounding every fifth traveler something that is a requirement in Canada, or just a requirement for the utility you are working for? Working for various contractors in the US, the only time I've used grounding blocks (travelers) has been adjacent to hot crossings when the particular utility we were working for required it in their SOP's. The grounding blocks usually seemed to cause more issues during wire pulls than the supposed added protection they may provide - needing to turn them around when pulling hard line in for conductor pulling as they were not designed for pulling both directions.
    I'm with you tramp, we went with reel grounds many,many years ago. Way more reliable, easier, safer, I couldn't imagine going through that hassle with traveling grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    I'm with you tramp, we went with reel grounds many,many years ago. Way more reliable, easier, safer, I couldn't imagine going through that hassle with traveling grounds.
    You use just 1 travelling ground & it takes maybe a minute to put it on.

Quote Originally Posted by lewy View Post
    You use just 1 travelling ground & it takes maybe a minute to put it on.
    Takes a minute to install the reel ground and its a solid connection.

Featured Sponsorr

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    Takes a minute to install the reel ground and its a solid connection.
    We've always used a traveling ground. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even seen a reel ground. Do you guys get your conductor on steel reels or wood, and, does it matter??

What makes the reel ground safer?
    While we are on the subject, when you ground your tensioner, do you drive your trailer onto ground mats, or do you just set the matts up around it??
    Last edited by hotwiretamer; 01-19-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling