Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Featured Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    I think I saw something in the past a few years ago about how systems are designed out there. Maybe I'm not thinking of the right place. Freak it. I'll ask.

Here a typical residential neighborhood is designed so a few houses run off a single transformer @120/240.

Do ya'll design a neighborhood that will have one transformer that pretty much serves an entire neighborhood? If so what is the size and voltage ya'll use?
    The line we are building is 11 kv. It feeds individual transformers that put out 240 volts."The domestic supply here". If there is a couple of houses then we might use a single phase tranny. Larger estates and buisnes will probably be on three phase trans formers. All fed in at 11 kv and out at 240 volts. Except in some places we have trans formers that are supplied by 33 kv and still put out 240 volts.
    Last edited by bren guzzi; 01-25-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: miss read the Question
    IF IT WASN'T FOR BAD LUCK WE WOULD HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL. !

By domestic Bren means residential. (In the USA domestic usually means manufactured within the USA I believe.)

And while I'm translating... The Americans say GFI (Ground Fault Interruptor) we say RCD (Residual Current Device).
    Portable defibrillators were first invented to save the lives of linemen. Where's yours?

www.bigclive.com

Default thanks Clive

Quote Originally Posted by BigClive View Post
    By domestic Bren means residential. (In the USA domestic usually means manufactured within the USA I believe.)

And while I'm translating... The Americans say GFI (Ground Fault Interruptor) we say RCD (Residual Current Device).
    Sure aren't ya a great help to me clive me aul mucker. Sure they wouldn't have a Danny la rue what I'd be spouting on about with out ya . " To be sure , to be sure. ..

Ps. ( So that what rcd means) I never knew.

In the uk, they dont split the coil like we do. For us its 120/240. Over there they just use the hotlegs. Two wire. 240. No nuetral. Everything runs on 240 volts, even light bulbs. What a great system. No more flickering light calls for open nuetrals. They either have power or dont. Hell, you could even slap a ground on one of the hotlegs if ya wanted. A coil can take one ground, dont matter if its in the middle or at the end.

Default is that right

Quote Originally Posted by topgroove View Post
    In the uk, they dont split the coil like we do. For us its 120/240. Over there they just use the hotlegs. Two wire. 240. No nuetral. Everything runs on 240 volts, even light bulbs. What a great system. No more flickering light calls for open nuetrals. They either have power or dont. Hell, you could even slap a ground on one of the hotlegs if ya wanted. A coil can take one ground, dont matter if its in the middle or at the end.
    Thats really interesting Mr. Groove,I didnt know that ,you say even for a light bulb,darn man........while I was in Germany I didnt know what I know now ,but they had 50 hz on that system..........correct me if Im wrong or if my eyes are going bad,,,,,,,,,,,noticed that Brens pitchers seem to not have a neutral or static in them.

Default clive should know. ;)

Clive should know this. What's the danger of having your lights aswell as every thing else on 240 volts. I'm thinking specificaly of a factory with lathes

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Clive should know this. What's the danger of having your lights aswell as every thing else on 240 volts. I'm thinking specificaly of a factory with lathes

You.ve got a way better system over there. Electricians in the uk think our system is stupid. I believe its 50
    Hz.

Default wwhho told ya that.

Dunno who told ya we haven't a nuetral.... All our pole mounted transformers have a neutral. We reckon " A NUETRAL IS JUST A PHASE THAT'S EARTHED" (grounded)

Quote Originally Posted by bren guzzi View Post
    Dunno who told ya we haven't a nuetral.... All our pole mounted transformers have a neutral. We reckon " A NUETRAL IS JUST A PHASE THAT'S EARTHED" (grounded)
    Ok that makes sence.... You ground the x2 bushing at the transformer. But going into the house you only use two wires 240 volts phase to phase... everything runs on 240 volts, correct

Featured Sponsorr

Ok that makes sence.... You ground the x2 bushing at the transformer. But going into the house you only use two wires 240 volts phase to phase... everything runs on 240 volts, correct

Correct.. But ya never answerd the other Question. If we run three phase into a factory with lathes in what precaution do we have to take. ???????? No google help. Ha ha.