Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tagging

Default Tagging

Featured Sponsor

I want to know what it's like in your area. How do ya'll go about tagging abnormal conditions in your area?

Example.

Faulted cable from dip pole to first transformer.

Do you tag the pole with your name/date/ticket number AND put a tag on the elbow as well?

How about cutting some floaters in because downstream somewhere through a valley across the river you have something causing the fuse to blow back.

Do you tag the pole putting some detailed information on it such as a contact number in case someone comes back behind you?

Does this apply to you local service center or do you only tag when in storm mode?

Where I came up I was taught tag tag tag and it doesn't seem to apply everywhere else. Not to long ago closed in on some faulted cable - cable was never tagged from 3 years ago. I carry around a set of phasing sticks now because of it but still I would think it'd be a common work procedure to tag abnormal conditions regardless.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-24-2012 at 09:38 PM.

We tag all our faultd urd with a tag that you can write on. We put the date, name, and where the cable is isolated. Also, the reason for tag. (fault, replacement, etc.)

We use special condition tags for switches that may have a glitch, but are still operable. Samething, you can write on them to explain the "special condition".

For Hot Line Orders, and Clearances we tag with Do Not Operate tags that are logged with Dispatch.

Here at grid we tag everything. Clearence and controll is as serious as a heart attack. What you call floaters we call cutting in in-line deadends, Basicly open loops so we can re-energize a portion of feeder.

Every step is documented and regional controll makes note of it on their maps.

We go through regional controll for everything and must get permision from them for everything.

Many times the switching I do is because of an emergancy, MVA, Primary down. In which case I am on the phone with regional control explaining everything as its happening.

We work together and leave nothing to chance.

Guess I'm just in a chitty area. Caught flack when I questioned if both ends were tagged. Went out there myself to tag it. It's not uncommon to see a fault go well over a year before it's repaired. Still ticked about it.

I like the special condition tag; worked with some air switches where the blades don't close or open well.

When I closed in on a fault--the guy I was with I asked if he's ever physically tagged cable before abnormal and was told no. Thought I made my point then. Thought I reinforced my point at a safety meeting.
    Last edited by rcdallas; 01-24-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    Guess I'm just in a chitty area. Caught flack when I questioned if both ends were tagged. Went out there myself to tag it. It's not uncommon to see a fault go well over a year before it's repaired. Still ticked about it.

I like the special condition tag; worked with some air switches where the blades don't close or open well.
    That's exactly why we started using those tags. It gets old haulting a switching procedure while I guy goes up in a bucket and has to help close a blade that is out of wack!

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post

When I closed in on a fault--the guy I was with I asked if he's ever physically tagged cable before abnormal and was told no. Thought I made my point then. Thought I reinforced my point at a safety meeting.
    It just happens to be where your company is with their tagging culture*, watch your back and be safe!

.......culture*--your behind times!

From what I'm finding it's just the specific area. Have found when closing back in on repaired cable N/O's will be put in a different spot without making necessary updates.

Not to long ago went to switch back after someone was ahead of me to isolate to change out a padmount. 10pm at night. Pouring down rain all day...open the lid and find an insert with no cap energized. It's 50/50 chance that the insert is grounded via the tickler wire around the well.

Something wrong with that picture.

I have preached this were I work!!!!!!!

I work for a utility now and it's alot diff. Then construction the only tagging we do is through
    Dispatch don't get me wrong scada can be good for some things but our guys take this for
    Granted.........

If we have a switch that won't operate they tag it on the board....
    If we have a section of line with "blivets,flying deadends,inline bells, or whatever y'all want to
    Call them" they tag it on the board....
    Bad urd they tag on the board!!!!!!!

Yes I know it's a lot for the dispatch to keep up with and this is bull****!!!!!

To me it's a lot safer to tag everything you put your hands on that way the next man
    Dosen't make a bad move!!!!! And it keeps everybody on the same page and safe!!!!!

Even when you do grounds in my opinion you should always check your openings, test, ground,
    Flag, and tag............

I know in the construction field we even used dog tags with numbers on them and yes the man who put them on was responsible for them

Sorry for such a long paragraph

But I think this is one of the lost arts alot of people don't even think about!!!!!

Oh yeah by the way rcdallas good topic to talk about glad you posted this maybe
    Some of the other hands will chime in on this one and maybe it will keep
    Somebody from getting seriously hurt or killed!!!!

Post Tags

Featured Sponsorr

We have three types of tags at my Co-op, each with a spcific use and time to use them.
    (1) Red Tag (also called Danger -Hold Tag) this is used at isolation points for a section of line a man will be working. These are dated and signed. Only the man who signs it can remove it. Signer can give permission across radio to another man on his crew to remove the tag.
    (2) Caution Tag, yellow and black tag. This is used for any energized but abnormal condition, such as one-shot, ground block, defeating underfrequency relays, etc. Duty Supervisor or the original signor may remove.
    (3) Repair tag. This is used on faulted cable, dead trucks, broken tools, anything that will require repair/replacement at a later date. Unlike the Red/Danger tag no one is working the device/line right then. Whoever makes the repair can remove the tag.
    All tags are dated and signed. There are times when a line may have more than one kind of tag, for example a Repair tag and a Red/Danger tag when repairs are made. Note: if you are making the repair to a line when the problem is found and won't leave the site we just use a Red/Danger tag only and don't post a repair tag. The repair tag is for when you will leave the site.