Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Texas Fatality

Default Texas Fatality

Featured Sponsor

Monday, Jan. 23, 2012 Worker electrocuted near refinery

A 19-year-old Fritch man was electrocuted and died while working on overhead power lines near the ConocoPhillips refinery at Borger, the Hutchinson County Sheriff’s Office said. About 10 a.m., Anthony Manzella was standing in a cherry-picker bucket on a service truck repairing a line feeding privately owned oil wells behind the plant when he was electrocuted, Chief Deputy James Qualls said. Crew members working with Manzella called 911. Qualls said Manzella did not fall from the bucket. A justice of the peace pronounced Manzella dead at the scene and ordered an autopsy, Qualls said. The autopsy was scheduled for Tuesday. Manzella worked for B&G Electric Company of Borger, Qualls said. The sheriff’s office was investigating the incident. B&G management declined to comment on the incident.

http://m.amarillo.com/news/local-new...orger-refinery

I've lost count is this the fifth fatality for 2011?

Default Wtf

Why was a 19 year old working hot!? There is no way in hell he had enough training and experience.

We are off to a horrible start!

Default if

Quote Originally Posted by cololinehand View Post
    Why was a 19 year old working hot!? There is no way in hell he had enough training and experience.

We are off to a horrible start!
    If that is a fact,being 19,,,,,,that would be the why answer,as far as im concerned.

As far as I knew, a lot of places like Conoco don't allow any hot work...I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdallas View Post
    As far as I knew, a lot of places like Conoco don't allow any hot work...I could be wrong.
    B&G Electric Company is a ratty contractor outfit out of Houston, Not sure if they were actually on Conoco property or not the artical says it was near the refinery but he was repairing privatly owned wells.
    Yee hawww Getrdone boys.

7. Default

Is there any information about the voltage he was working on? 110 or getting between ground potentials has killed a lot of folks... And how old do you think someone should be to work even secondary hot?
    High Class Line Trash

Default Ill try

Quote Originally Posted by K_murphy View Post
    Is there any information about the voltage he was working on? 110 or getting between ground potentials has killed a lot of folks... And how old do you think someone should be to work even secondary hot?
    .........K murphy,,,,,,,,,look at it this way,how old do you think sombody should be before working hot secondaries or primary?...........maybe the question needs to be asked is he qualified,trained...........you can be 99 years old and not be qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by K_murphy View Post
    Has nothing to do with age... It has everything to do with training . The proper use of PPE. Rubber gloves and sleeves, rubber hose, blankets. After two years of extensive training an apprentice should be able to safely work secondary voltage wearing all appropiate ppe. After three years work Primary with another qualified person.
    Unless this kid started in linework at age 16 I doubt he had the training or ability to reconize the hazzards associated with this line of work.
    These ratty contractors could care less, after a couple weeks they're sent to their deaths. No one cares it happens everyday. Last year we had dozens of young guys killed just like him. Young guys 18, 19 years old. These contractors don't care. the utilities and coops and Muni's don't care.... No one is ever held responcible. We just pray for our fallen brothers and say "RIP Bro" The fatalities go on and on. These contractors continue to reap their profits.... Thats really what its all about aint it.... money! Money, money, money.

Featured Sponsorr

I agree with Top this poor guy had likely only been out of high school 2 years max, there is no way he had the training to be put in that spot.