Thread: Balaclavia

Default Balaclavia

Featured Sponsor

I want to know if this is BS or not. We've established quite awhile back where we define different categories of work.

Category 1 is work that is something like 6 cal cm2 working behind a line fuse 100 amp or LESS. Need FR jeans as well.

Category 1 w/a headsock (balaclavia) OR face shield is the same thing but greater then a 100 amp fuse.

Category 2 is working behind a field recloser which requires a head sock OR face shield and it requires something like 9 or 10 cal FR shirt. Doesn't matter if the recloser is on one shot or not.

Category 3 is working ANY main line with the substation reclosing enabled; requires like 20 cal cm2 FR shirt headsock AND faceshield.

Category 4 is basically any type of 480 or enclosed vault which requires something like a 80 cal cm2 FR suit.

There's more details with each one regarding open air secondary, etc - distance from torso, etc.

Are any of you familiar with any of this? From what we're being told it's NEC/NESC type stuff and I don't think it's the full truth.

With all that on....drink lots of water!

3. Default

i think this is how it works:OSHA says refer to NESC, then NESC says you will have to have an arc flash assesment done. when you get that done it will tell you what category chothing you will have to wear. we had a engineering firm come in and do our assesment last year and we are a Category 2. we have been wearing the shirts and pants for a couple years so it not that bad. now wearing the face shield is a different story. and i think NESC says that if wearing it poses more of a danger than not wearing it, you can take it off.

Featured Sponsorr

Ummmmm sounds like to me that a feller wud hafta have a complete wardrobe on his truck and a place to store it n maybe a dressin room also.Mite shud ask fera bafroom also but I spect Hazmat wud get involved wif that.Aint it absolutlety amazing that Linemen did this job for years without any of that stuff?