Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Featured Sponsor

I think what you should take from all this Wantafastz is that you need to learn to only trust what You KNOW. There have been many instances where someone was given a hot line hold on the wrong feeder or opened a gang operated switch that didnt completely open, Or there may be an incorrectly wired generator somewhere.Trusting your buddys doesnt cover YOUR azz on any of that.Always check it to be dead, ground it in the proper sequence or work it just as if it was energized with gloves or sticks and plenty of cover. If you are picking up a parted phase or neutral always use a jumper before grabbing both ends of the wire. In Short YOU are the very best line of defense You have available to you.

I have to disagree on working it as if it were energized, you either work it hot or you ground it. If your plan is to ground you follow your work protection for isolation then test & ground. If in the process of testing you find it to be still alive you would stop & find out what went wrong. Again you should never work on primary conductor isolated, but treating it as alive because you will not give it the same respect you would if it really was alive, people have gotten hurt in the past working this way. If you can isolate it you can ground it.

Glad to hear I'm being taught properly then... just trips me out stuff like this happens, seems if the basic rules are followed accidents like this wouldnt happen, and that's not the first time ive read something like that.

Default simple

we were Always taught (IF ITS NOT GROUNDED,ITS NOT DEAD)..pretty simple.

Just because a line is tested deenergized and a set of grounds (or boxed grounds as many people believe in - ie. working between grounds) is installed, you are still not protected. THE ONLY SAFE METHOD to work on a line without rubber gloves is EQUIPOTENTIAL GROUNDING. It doesn't matter how many sets of grounds you install on a line, unless you are in an equipotential zone, you are still another path to ground for any accidental energizing of the line. With equipotential grounding, the "master" grounds that many people insist on are totally unnecessary and provide a false sense of security. If you are working on a structure, that structure needs to be bonded to the conductors you are working on, if it's a wood structure, a grounding cluster needs to be attached below your work area and connected to the conductor(s) you are working on.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

So tell me Lewy, would you work on a double circuit pole where one circuit is alive and the other circuit is isolated and grounded?

Tramp67 I agree 100%, equipotential grounding , or we tend to call it , point of work grounding is the absolute safest way to work, bracket grounding does not protect the worker, and in some cases has been known to create a circulating current!

Quote Originally Posted by rob8210 View Post
    So tell me Lewy, would you work on a double circuit pole where one circuit is alive and the other circuit is isolated and grounded?

Tramp67 I agree 100%, equipotential grounding , or we tend to call it , point of work grounding is the absolute safest way to work, bracket grounding does not protect the worker, and in some cases has been known to create a circulating current!
    Yes it would be my first choice, if I had to go through the 1 circuit to get to the other, I would not just isolate the circuit I would also ground it. It is the rule in this province, you can not work on isolated conductors.
    I also agree with Tramp equipotential grounding is the safest way to work.

I heard a rumor today that he was nailed from induced voltage on the static?
    They had grounds on structures to both sides of the structure they were working, but not the
    structure they were on.
    Bracket grounding that acted like a xfmr coil? I don't know, but that is what I was told.

Working on large transmission lines, sometimes the grounding switches in the switchyard need to be opened when working on a line due to the fact that you are, in effect, creating a giant transformer by having grounds in multiple locations on a line that parallels another energized line. One of the reasons that "Master Grounds" is not a good solution, the equipotential grounding of your work zone is the ONLY 100% effective way of safely grounding a circuit.
    Living my life and loving it!!!

Featured Sponsorr

I do not disagree with bracket or master grounds, they do have a use, but they are not working grounds. There have been a few cases in the past where guys have gotten hurt because of a circulating current that was caused by induction. If the company is set on bracket grounds , so be it but use equipotential grounding in your work area, to keep your arse safe. Gounding a line is the best way to work on it, if you do it right. And hey Lewy, so you would work on a live circuit with a grounded circuit behind your back. Would you rubber that grounded circuit to protect you from a second point of contact then? I would!